News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• macOS Big Sur 11 releases

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS macOS Big Sur 11 releases

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Apple released macOS Big Sur 11.2, focusing mostly on bug fixes. https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/01/apple-releases-macos-big-sur-11-2/

According to Apple’s release notes: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211896#macos112

macOS Big Sur 11.2 improves Bluetooth reliability and fixes the following issues:

• External displays may show a black screen when connected to a Mac mini (M1, 2020) using an HDMI to DVI converter
        • Edits to Apple ProRAW photos in the Photos app may not save
        • iCloud Drive could turn off after disabling the iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents Folders option
        • System Preferences may not unlock when entering your administrator password
        • Globe key may not display the Emoji & Symbols pane when pressed

There is also a security update, 2021-001, for Catalina and Mojave: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212147
        It notably patches CVE-2021-1782, which also affects iOS devices. https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/macos-catalina-mojave-security-update-3801239/

5 users thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple Seeds First Public Beta of macOS Big Sur 11.3

‌macOS Big Sur‌ 11.3 introduces more customization options for Safari, adding a way to rearrange the different sections on the Start Page like Favorites, Reading List, Siri Suggestions, Privacy Report, and more.

The update includes optimizations for using iOS apps on M1 Macs.

‌macOS Big Sur‌ 11.3 also adds support for the latest PlayStation 5 DualSense and Xbox Series X/S controllers for use with macOS games.

‌macOS Big Sur‌ 11.3 adds support for HomePod Stereo pairs, allowing a set of paired HomePods to be set as the default sound output option, with the two HomePods showing up as a single selectable speaker rather than separate as in prior versions of macOS…

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Big Sur Upgrade not Enough Free Space = Serious Issue & Possible Data Loss!

The macOS Big Sur upgrade is not checking to make sure enough free HD space is available. The upgrade will start, then run out of space and fail. If FV2 encryption is enabled, you will be locked out of your data!..

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple patches Sudo bug in macOS Big Sur 11.2.1, supplemental updates for Catalina and Mojave

Apple today released macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 to the public, alongside supplemental updates for macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and macOS Mojave 10.14.6. In addition to a fix for MacBook Pro charging issues, the update also brings a notable security fix for a Sudo bug..

pmcjr6142
          AskWoody Plus

Went ahead and updated for the security update.  No problems on my 2019 iMac.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

I’m not sure why Apple didn’t just call this update “Catalina Security Update 2021-002”. I thought they were over the very confusing “Supplemental Update” scheme. I’ll install it over the weekend.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 (20D75) released.

macOS Big Sur Upgrade does not check if enough free space is available before starting. 35GB Required

The upgrade begin and fail if your Mac doesn’t have enough free space. If FV2 is enabled your data will not be accessible

I’ve confirmed the new installer now checks for free space properly.

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Today I have received the notice from Apple that security update 2021-002 for Mojave and another update, this one for Safari 14.0.3, are both available to be downloaded and installed on my MacBook Pro laptop.

As it’s usual with me, this will have to wait for at least ten days before, not having heard anything against doing so or of some serious and urgent need to do so, I go ahead and install them. Counting from the day when PKCano reports that it is OK to install them.

Mojave 10.14.6

Safari 14.0.3

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

anonymous

I installed the macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update released earlier this week. I had already installed Security Update 2021-001 update so this supplemental update installed rather quickly. On a 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro. No problems to report thus far (though as a relatively new Mac user, I can say that the update experience is so much better than on Windows).

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

One thing perhaps not everyone here knows and I have learned the hard way: before upgrading (in my case from Mojave to Catalina in another Mac, not the one I use everyday and am using now to write this and is still running Mojave) it is very important to make sure that the current macOS before upgrading to the next version is completely up to date, with no updates waiting to be installed. Otherwise the install of the new version (Catalina, in my case) will fail, because when one clicks to install the new version, the pending update to the old version (e.g. Mojave) will also start and race its downloading and installing against those of the new macOS, and the resulting conflict will prevent both from getting done. This could also be true when upgrading from Catalina to BigSur.

In Finder/Application/Utilities there maybe something called “install.xxxx.app”, where “xxxx” is in reality the name of the new version of macOS one is intending to upgrade to (e.g. install.catalina.app). One might use this application to download and install the new “xxxx” version, but if I understand this correctly, only as a matter of last resort.

pmcjr6142
          AskWoody Plus

When you click on Software Update to see what’s available, I assume it will list any outstanding updates to your current version in addition to the new version, eg, Big Sur?  It then allows you to then click on the listed outstanding updates first?  I thought going straight to Big Sur would be the only option.

PKCano
            Manager

I’m on Catalina 10.15.7 on one of my Macs that is eligible for Big Sur.
            In System Preferences\Software Update, I see the upgrade to Big Sur offered, which I am not doing because 3 of my other systems are old enough to not be eligible and I don’t want the conflicts.

If I click on “More information” I find I have the option to only update Catalina. I am offered Supplemental update 2021-002 and a Safari update.
            I can choose these and it DOES NOT include the upgrade to Big Sur.
            After the update for Catalina and the reboot, the offer for Big Sur is still there, untouched.

pmcjr6142
              AskWoody Plus

I forgot about the “More Information” option.  Thank you.  Your answer to my question is very clear.  Good to know.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple Seeds Second Beta of macOS Big Sur 11.3 to Developers

macOS Big Sur‌ 11.3 introduces more customization options for Safari, adding a way to rearrange the different sections on the Start Page like Favorites, Reading List, Siri Suggestions, Privacy Report, and more. Developers also have access for a new integration to develop features for the Start Page.

The update also includes optimizations for using iOS apps on M1 Macs. When running iPhone and iPad apps on ‌M1‌ Macs, there’s a Touch Alternatives preference pane that allows users to set keyboard commands for touch input alternatives, plus iPadOS apps launch with a larger window if the Mac’s display allows it. Touch Alternatives can be enabled for ‌iPhone‌ or ‌iPad‌ apps by clicking on the app’s name in the menu bar and then selecting the Preferences option. Touch Alternatives let you customize taps, swipes, and drags….

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple has released macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta 2 to public beta testers.

macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta 2 specifically added a new Apple Music feature, bringing the Autoplay functionality that previously arrived with iOS 14 and iPadOS 14. Beta 2 also added new Support details to the “About this Mac” pane, allowing users to easily see details on hardware and warranty coverage.

The second public beta of macOS Big Sur 11.3 features the build number 20E5186d 20E5186d.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple adds WebM video playback support to Safari with macOS Big Sur 11.3

Apple is now letting developers create extensions that modify some of the default Safari tabs with macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta, and it seems there’s more to come. With the release of macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta 2 this week, Safari can finally play WebM videos…

If you’re running macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta 2 on your Mac, you can try playing a WebM video by going to the WebM Project website, which has a demonstration video available there…

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 released

“macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 prevents MacBook Pro (2019 or later) and MacBook Air (2020 or later) models from incurring damage when they are connected to certain third-party, non-compliant powered USB-C hubs and docks.”

pmcjr6142
          AskWoody Plus

Even though this update is for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air 2019, it appeared in updates for my 2019 iMac.  Why is that?  I installed it anyway with no problems.  Took longer than I expected…almost one hour.  I thought Big Sur was supposed to speed up update installs.  I don’t think so.

pmcjr6142
            AskWoody Plus

Why did my above reply to Alex5723 go to moderation?  I thought no moderation was a benefit of Plus Membership

Paul T
              AskWoody MVP

There is no guarantee your post will not be held up by checks for spammy IPs, dodgy content etc. We all have to live with the restrictions imposed by keeping the bad guys at bay.

cheers, Paul

Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 released

Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution

Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed with improved validation.

CVE-2021-1844: Clément Lecigne of Google’s Threat Analysis Group, Alison Huffman of Microsoft Browser Vulnerability Research

Safari security update for Mojave and Catalina users. :

After installing this update, the build number for Safari 14.0.3 is 14610.4.3.1.7 on macOS Mojave and 15610.4.3.1.7 on macOS Catalina.

pmcjr6142
          AskWoody Plus

Felt adventurous today.  No problems with 14.4.1 on a 6S and 11.2.3 on a 2019 iMac.  All seems fine after the installs.  The iOS update took about 40 min and the Mac took just about an hour.

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Alex: “Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution

Question: Is this a problem with the new version or a fix to the old one?

pmcjr6142
            AskWoody Plus

This description on 9 to 5 Mac made me think it fixes the problem…

“The primary security fix addresses an issue with malicious content on the web involving memory corruption:

Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution

Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed with improved validation.”

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

“Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution”

Question: Is this a problem with the new version or a fix to the old one?

This web bug has been fixed on all Apple devices : Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple releases macOS 11.3 beta 5 build 20E217a

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple releases macOS 11.3 beta 6 to Devs, build 20E5224a.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS 11.3 beta 7 released to devs build 20E5229a.
        The update is available OTA.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS Big Sur 11.3 RC released to devs.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS 11.4 beta 1 released to devs and public (~3GB). Build 20F5046g.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple released macOS 11.3 final.

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

A software bug let malware bypass macOS’ security defenses
          Old malware, new tricks.

Apple has spent years reinforcing macOS with new security features to make it tougher for malware to break in. But a newly discovered vulnerability broke through most of macOS’ newer security protections with a double-click of a malicious app, a feat not meant to be allowed under Apple’s watch.

Worse, evidence shows a notorious family of Mac malware had been exploiting this vulnerability for months before it was subsequently patched by Apple this week….

Apple told TechCrunch it fixed the bug in macOS 11.3. Apple also patched earlier macOS versions to prevent abuse, and pushed out updated rules to XProtect, macOS’ in-built anti-malware engine, to block malware from exploiting the vulnerability…

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

pmcjr6142
          AskWoody Plus

Hopefully someone will take the plunge and install this and report on any issues.  Ditto for the iOS update.

anonymous

Seconded. I am currently looking to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur in the coming days and am wondering if it is stable enough to make the jump.

pmcjr6142
              AskWoody Plus

Anonymous….I upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur 11.1, the first update to Big Sur on Dec. 21 and have done each subsequent update between 11.1 and 11.3. But will wait a week or so before doing 11.3.  I’m now on 11.2.3.  This is my first Mac and these updates are still a little “scary” for me.  None of the updates I’ve done so far, however, have had any problems and have enhanced my confidence in OS updates.  I  can’t tell you how going from Catalina to 11.3 will go.  It will probably take a long time to download and install, but I do believe Big Sur has a whole is stable.

anonymous

Thanks for your response. I went ahead and installed macOS Big Sur 11.3 on my Mac (this is also my first Mac). The installation went without a hitch and was completed in less than an hour. If there are any serious issues with this update I’ll leave another response below in the coming days.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Hopefully someone will take the plunge and install this and report on any issues.  Ditto for the iOS update.

I ran all iOS/iPadOS 14.5 betas with 0 problems (12 max pro).
        Now on 14.6.beta 1 with 0 problems, bugs..

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Download the latest MacOS M1 here

pmcjr6142
        AskWoody Plus

Updated my 2019 iMac to 11.3 and my 6S to 14.5. All seems well so far. The OS update took 2 hours! May have been overload servers. I did the 6S first and then tried to back it up to the Mac. Plugged it in to the Mac. It wouldn’t connect and got a popup saying it was not compatible with the Mac’s OS and I needed to update the Mac first to the latest release. Never saw this sequence requirement before. May be something new in either the OS or iOS updates where you need to do the Mac update first.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
          anonymous

Installed on my 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro with no issues to report. The update is a bit big (over 2 GB) and took half an hour to install.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS 11.4 beta 2 released. Build 20F5055c

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 124 (build on Safari 14 for Catalina and Big Sur)

https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/release-notes/

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple released macOS Big Sur 11.4 RC

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS 11.5 beta 1 released

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS Big Sur 11.4 Addresses Vulnerability That Could Let Attackers Take Secret Screenshots (and more)

macOS Big Sur 11.4, which was released this morning, addresses a zero-day vulnerability that could allow attackers to piggyback off of apps like Zoom, taking secret screenshots and surrepetiously recording the screen…

Zero-Day TCC bypass discovered in XCSSET malware

A zero-day discovery allows an attacker to bypass Apple’s TCC protections which safeguard privacy. By leveraging an installed application with the proper permissions set, the attacker can piggyback off that donor app when creating a malicious app to execute on victim devices, without prompting for user approval.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS Big Sur 11.5b2 released

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

macOS Big Sur 11.5 beta 2 (20G5033c) public beta released.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS Monterey: Here are the features exclusive to M1 Macs

..With the second major software update to take advantage of the Apple Silicon, here are the features Apple introduced that will be only available to its Macs with proprietary processors.

Portrait Mode on FaceTime: Only M1 Macs on macOS Monterey will be able to blur the background of a video call using FaceTime.

Live Text in Photos: Gives users the ability to interact with text in photos, such as copy and paste, lookup, and translate. Live Text will work in Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, and Safari.

Maps: Interactive globe and detailed new city experience will only be available in the M1 Macs running macOS Monterey. With these two features, users will be able to interact with a 3D globe and explore cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and London with detail for elevation, roads, trees, buildings, landmarks, and more

Object Capture: With macOS Monterey, users will be able to turn a series of 2D images into a photo-realistic 3D object that’s optimized for AR in just minutes using the power of Mac.

Siri: Neural text-to-speech voice in more languages is only available to the M1 Macs. With macOS Monterey, this feature will be available in more languages: Swedish (Sweden), Danish (Denmark), Norwegian (Norway), and Finnish (Finland).

On-device dictation: Keyboard dictation helps protect the user’s privacy by performing all processing completely offline. With macOS Monterey, users can dictate texts of any length without a timeout…

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS 11.5 beta 3 released

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Safari Technology Preview Release 126 for macOS Big Sur and betas of macOS Monterey.

Viewing 35 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: macOS Big Sur 11 releases

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.