News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • macOS Catalina Upgrade Checklist

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS macOS Catalina Upgrade Checklist

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  OscarCP 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

While I recommend holding off upgrading to macOS Catalina until at least 10.15.1 to allow for a few more bug fixes to be resolved, there are steps that can be taken now to prepare to upgrade to macOS Catalina. This week, I’ll cover a macOS Catalina Upgrade Checklist:

• Check Compatibility: macOS Catalina will support most Mac models introduced in 2012 or later, and you can upgrade directly from OS X Mavericks or later.
      • Backup Your Mac: It’s a good idea to have a full backup of your Mac before upgrading to any major macOS release. I have a set of options available here that make it quick and easy to backup your Mac, including Time Machine and bootable clones. It is especially important to have a full backup of your iTunes library, as iTunes is being replaced with the Apple Music, Apple TV, and Apple Podcasts apps in macOS Catalina. While all media should migrate seamlessly to the new apps, it’s still a good idea to have a full backup of your iTunes library at hand.
      • Free Up Space: Your Mac needs 12.5GB of available storage space, or up to 18.5GB of space when upgrading from OS X Yosemite or earlier. Even if your Mac has plenty of space to install macOS Catalina, it’s still a good idea to use this time to do some housekeeping to remove older apps or files no longer needed (or offload them to external storage).
      • Update Your Apps: Many apps will be releasing updates to ensure better compatibility with macOS Catalina, so updating your apps before upgrading to macOS Catalina will result in a smoother experience. Any apps built into macOS will be updated using one of the Software Update mechanisms in macOS (Safari being the main update that is installed through Software Update). Most Apple apps, as well as apps purchased from the Mac App Store, will be updated through the Mac App Store. Third-party apps will either be updated manually, or utilize their own built-in app updater. Some third-party apps may require a paid upgrade for macOS Catalina support (a handful of apps I use are, but I managed to purchase the previous version or a beta in enough time to get the upgrades at no additional cost). In that case, for those wishing to go for macOS Catalina, there’ll be extra app costs. The most imporant apps that will require upgrading are 64 Bit apps. Here is the quickest way to find out which apps are still 32 Bit only and require upgrading to 64 Bit. This week I had to update my work VPN client to 64 Bit, plus I have two Windows apps that run on WINE that will require a 64 Bit version of WINE before I can upgrade to macOS Catalina.
      • Convert Legacy Media: QuickTime 7 is unsupported in macOS Catalina. QuickTime X (included in Mac OS X Snow Leopard and later) is the default media player in macOS Catalina. While most media should automatically open fine in QuickTime X, it is a good idea to open media files and see if they open successfully in QuickTime X. If they do not, most media will automatically convert to the new format. Once QuickTime X converts the media to the new format, it’s good to re-save the media in that format. If the media does not play in QuickTime X, Switch Player or VLC Player should do the trick.
      • Say Goodbye to Dashboard: If you’re still the one person who relied on Dashboard (the overlay of widgets on the Mac), it’s time to say goodbye to Dashboard, which has now been replaced with widgets in Notification Center which feels more like widgets in iOS. Begin replacing Dashboard widgets with Notification Center widgets (if you haven’t already), to make it easier to say goodbye to Dashboard.
      • Get Your Other Apple Gear Ready to Upgrade: In addition to macOS Catalina, iOS and iPadOS 13 have launched, and so has watchOS 6 and tvOS 13. To allow all Apple devices to fully integrate with a Mac running macOS Catalina, you’ll want to upgrade all your Apple devices to their latest operating system releases (although it’s good to hold off upgrading the rest of your Apple gear until closer to the time upgrading to macOS Catalina).

I’ll continue to keep AskWoody updated with the status on macOS Catalina and when it is safe and recommended to install the upgrade. In the meantime, there’s plenty to do to prepare for macOS Catalina, so now is a great time to get started on this checklist!

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1979941 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan,

One question and one observation about these two points:

(1)  Update our Apps: Perhaps you, as well as others here, could let us know that, if one were to update (at least) some apps so they can be used with Catalina, the updated versions will still run OK with Mojave?

(2) Say Goodbye to Dashboard: Reading that has first made me think and then, realize that in the almost two and a half years that I’ve had a Mac, I have never, ever used Dashboard at all! Other than, once or twice, to have a look at its interface. The few gadgets shown there: (a) a calculator (I have a material one: an old, tough and reliable, multi-function HP pocket calculator of my own, thanks), (b) a clock with an analog looking face, (c) something where you can put the name of a city and will show you the weather (or at least the temperature) there and (d) a calendar that looks like something one would hang on a wall (and both (b) and (d) have really nice displays). But all of them are redundant with other gadgets, widgets and Websites (e.g. Wunderground for weather, The World Clock to know what is the hour in other places) that I do use every time I have any need of their kind of information.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: macOS Catalina Upgrade Checklist

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.