News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MacOs Warning ; HP drivers, Amazon Music are Malware

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS MacOs Warning ; HP drivers, Amazon Music are Malware

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Some Mac users being warned that Amazon Music app and HP drivers are malware

Some users are reporting that they can no longer print to HP printers, or can’t continue playing Amazon Music through the dedicated app, because of a macOS error that claims the software is malware.

AppleInsider has been contacted by users reporting that their Macs are suddenly claiming their HP printers contain malware and “will damage your computer.” Separately, other users are reporting the same issue, but to do with the Amazon Music app.

In each case, attempting to launch the app or to just use the Mac, brings up a dialog box. It reports that there is malware, says it will damage the Mac, and advises users to move a particular file to the trash…

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2306723 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Two days ago I used my Mac, running “Mojave” with its latest and all previous updates installed, to print a PDF file with my all-in-one HP jet printer, without any problems.

I don’t know about Apple music, but I can listen to music in YouTube and to the music I have saved in my Mac using QuickTime  without any problems. It would be interesting to know whether this is also a problem with Mojave, or just with Catalina? Which version of macOS are we talking about, also which HP printer? As it does not seem to be an universal problem.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by OscarCP.
      • #2306720 Reply
        anonymous

I just updated and now I have this, and it wont go away – its finding it on my time machine!  What do I do?

• #2306762 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

It’s an issue with macOS’s  XProtect, so those having the issue will have to wait for an update to XProtect (which should be quicker and automatic). Reporting the issue to Apple Support (they are on Twitter) would be good too.

There’s also an issue where some all-in-ones with IPv6 enabled are causing issues. Here’s the fix:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3583998/scanner-wont-work-image-capture-disable-a-network-setting.html

Nathan Parker

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2306801 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

It would be interesting to know whether this is also a problem with Mojave, or just with Catalina? Which version of macOS are we talking about, also which HP printer?

The bug effects both Mojave and Catalina and any HP printer.
        It is Amazon music flagged as malware, not Apple Music.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Alex5723.
        • #2306804 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Alex. However, this bug does not seem to interfere with using my own HP printer. It is a model several years old; maybe the bug affects newer models.

• #2306963 Reply
            Nathan Parker
            AskWoody_MVP

Are you using HP’s driver downloaded from HP or Apple’s built-in driver? I wonder if this affects drivers only downloaded from HP itself.

Nathan Parker

• #2306991 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Nathan, I thought it was HP’s, but I am not sure. How do I check on that, so I can answer your question?

• #2307198 Reply
                Nathan Parker
                AskWoody_MVP

Do you recall downloading a driver from the HP website when installing the printer (or “gasp” using an HP install CD), or did you plug it in and it “just work” without installing any software?

Nathan Parker

• #2307200 Reply
                OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

Nathan, as far as I can remember, I plugged the USB cable into the Mac and it “just worked.” But then again, that was more than three years ago, when I first got the computer I am typing this reply with, right this moment. So I am reasonably, but not entire sure about that memory.

• #2307203 Reply
                Nathan Parker
                AskWoody_MVP

You might be using Apple’s built-in driver, which in this case, would be one reason yours is working without issues. I’ve found Apple’s built-in drivers generally work far easier than third-party drivers, so I try to avoid downloading them unless I absolutely have to.

Nathan Parker

• #2307304 Reply
                Alex5723
                AskWoody Plus

Nathan: What about checking driver properties in MacOS to check owner, version, install date…?

• #2307532 Reply
                Nathan Parker
                AskWoody_MVP

Might work. It’s worth checking it in System Preferences to see what shows.

Nathan Parker

• #2307431 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

How to remove HP printer driver ‘malware’ from Mac

..”We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers,” said a HP spokesperson. “This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.”..

How to remove the HP printer driver
        Go to System Preferences
        Click on Printers & Scanners
        Choose your HP printer from the Printers list on the left
        Click the minus sign at bottom left
        In the Finder, go to ~/Library/Printers/hp
        Drag the printer driver to the trash
        Go back to System Preferences
        Click on Printers & Scanners if it doesn’t open at that
        Click the plus sign at bottom left and re-add the printer..

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2307533 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Apple’s AirPrint driver works very well. I use it with a Canon printer now, and it “just works”.

Nathan Parker

• #2307589 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan, I posted here today a comment that got deleted (no idea why), explaining that, following Alex instructions in his last comment I had found an HP “.app” in Library/Printers that was dated late 2019, two and a half years after I had started using the Mac and the HP printer plugged into it and “it just worked.” And three years later, it is still “just working.” To show you that, I printed and then scanned into a GIF file a file a with print from Durer of a hare, in color, that looked pretty good, and included the result, that also looked good in the post. (And it was about 180 KB in size, so much less that the maximum of 1 MB that is allowed.)

Now my question I have asked, and that I really hope I am allowed to ask again now: Should I do something about this, or just leave things alone? Because it definitely looks like I am using an HP driver.

• #2307603 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

You are not having problems with printing or the malware message, so why are you asking? If it ain’t broke….

cheers, Paul

• #2307759 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Paul_T: I am asking, again, because, if my printer driver is from HP and it has been updated as recently as late last year without my being asked first and so unnoticed by me and that is, therefore, likely to keep on being updated without asking for my permission  first; the next time that happens, I might not be this lucky. But also because there could be more to this than merely: “if you are not sure, then get rid of it.”

As to the now missing picture of Durer’s “Hare”: it is originally, I think, a very finely grained lithograph that shows a great deal of detail: hair, whiskers, that are also very clearly visible in the picture resulting from my first printed and then scanned high resolution JPEG copy, even after being reduced in resolution by a factor of 9 in order to post it, clearly showing how well the printer’s driver, whatever was the one, Apple’s or HP’s, involved is still working.

• #2307804 Reply
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

It’s a Mac, trust it to update only when required and get it right most of the time – in other words, leave it alone, but back it up.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2308046 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I agree with Paul. I’d leave it alone, back it up, and “if” it ever breaks, try Alex’s workaround (and it should work just fine).

Nathan Parker

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MacOs Warning ; HP drivers, Amazon Music are Malware

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.