News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Macrium Reflect 7.2 May 9 build 4884 Patch Has Hidden Banana Peel

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tools Macrium Reflect 7.2 May 9 build 4884 Patch Has Hidden Banana Peel

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author

Just applied the latest patch (build 4882, May 9 2020) from Macrium for it’s Reflect 7.2 backup software, and was really puzzled when I noticed afterwards the write speed had dropped almost by half on the next backup! Urg!

Well, I spent the next hour on a snark hunt, making sure the USB 3.0 hub wasn’t malfunctioning, defragging the C: drive, and running down several other red herrings before I found it:

The patch had flipped the compression choice from the default “medium compression” setting (recommended) to “None” !

I flipped it back, checked all the other settings, found nothing else wrong, then ran another backup which went like lightning.

Moral: It’s not only MSFT that can mess you over with patches. Yes, it’s a good idea to update your backup software, but maybe it’s also good to see if it’s yibbed the zotz when it patched it.

(BTW, this issue does not appear in any previous or current release notes. See next month’s/build’s notes, I guess.)

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't auto-check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
        --
        "A committee is the only known form of life that has at least six legs and no brain."

-Robert Heinlein

• #2264783 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

The patch had flipped the compression choice from the default “medium compression” setting (recommended) to “None” !

I flipped it back, checked all the other settings, found nothing else wrong, then ran another backup which went like lightning.

Sound illogical. Compression cause high CPU and slows down files copy.

• #2264790 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Backup is IO bound and CPU compression is way faster, so you move more data, unless you’re using internal NVMe disks.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2264802 Reply
        mulletback
        AskWoody Plus

My installs (6) of patch 4882 all retained medium compression.

• #2264841 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

Patch applied w/ no changes made to compression…..free edition Macrium, Win10 ver 1909 home (mau patch NOT applied …yet)

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• #2264946 Reply

Patch # is 4884, not 4882.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't auto-check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
          --
          "A committee is the only known form of life that has at least six legs and no brain."

-Robert Heinlein

• #2264925 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

In my 4882 (free), medium compression was on.  Updated to 4942, still set to medium.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2264947 Reply

In my 4882 (free), medium compression was on.  Updated to 4942, still set to medium.

Possibility this could have been an OS version/patch-build-specific hiccup. It happens.

Boy, these guys really open the flood gates on the patches/builds, don’t they? May 9th and May 22nd? Great product, but wish they’d slow down a bit.

--

-Robert Heinlein

• #2264948 Reply

For some reason the “quote” function didn’t engage, or I clicked on the wrong quote…scroll down a bit. 🙂

--

-Robert Heinlein

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Macrium Reflect 7.2 May 9 build 4884 Patch Has Hidden Banana Peel

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.