News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Macrium Reflect

Posted on WSgeorgelee Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by

WSgeorgelee 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

WSgeorgelee
      Subscriber

I have just created a new image of my PC using Macrium Reflect Pro v5. Before beginning there was a message stating that v7 is released tomorrow, and an upgrade to v6 today brings a free upgrade to v7.

Why didn’t they give that information two weeks ago, when it would have been possible to get answers to my questions?

It is considerably more expansive than 3 years ago, and I am reluctant to buy a 4 pack now there are only two machines in the family. My inclination was to buy an upgrade for my PC and continue with v5 for my wife, as she only uses it for email and browsing the web. It’s an old machine, and twice in the past year she has been the victim of ransomware, necessitating restoration via an image.

As it’s Sunday today, so impossible to contact Macrium, I read the FAQs and read one about using the old licence on another machine and v7 on the existing one. The answer was that old licences are cancelled when new ones issued.

Obviously our circumstances are different, the questioner appears to want to use his old licence on one PC and the new one on another, whereas we have 4 licences and only 2 PCs, and would like to buy a new one for myself, and let the v5 continue on the other PC. But there is the suspicion that if I buy a new licence all 4 of the existing v5 licences will be cancelled, leaving my wife unable to use Macrium. This is quite likely, as there is no v7 free option.

I am tempted to do nothing and just continue with V5, as there is nothing in v6 or 7 that appeals, other than a new engine for v7. It would be nice to know what the new price structure is, but it’s not available today.

If any lounger has raised this issue with Macrium, I would be much obliged to hear the result, as there are still a few hours left to upgrade.

George

• #1591943 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

George,

Unless you need the new features IMHO stick with the version you have. You could also revert to the Free version as I’m sure it does all you need. Most well operating software, MR included, has no need of upgrade the only reason they do it it to generate new revenue streams. I have old MR boot disks/USB keys that still work just fine so even if they invalidated my licenses the boot media would continue to work on my current machines. Of course things like Secure Boot could change and thereby require a new version but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

HTH :cheers:

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

• #1591993 Reply

WSgsmith-plm
        Subscriber

You could also revert to the Free version as I’m sure it does all you need.

In all honesty, the free version does everything I need. In fact I purchased a single PC copy last year for my new computer simply as a way of supporting what I consider to be a very useful free utility.

• #1591983 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I am using a 2014 version of ATI. Does everything I need and will not be upgraded.

cheers, Paul

• #1591998 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Graham,

As the owner of 4 paid licenses I hardily agree. However, I see no reason to support feature bloat which is why I’ll be sticking with my version 6 licenses but I’ll probably give V7 Free a go just to see what it offers. :cheers:

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Macrium Reflect

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.