News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Macrium Reflect Free – patch how often?

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Macrium Reflect Free – patch how often?

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

I installed Macrium Reflect Free back in June 2019 and using it ever since with no problems. I had to Rebuild the Rescue Media (USB) when I upgraded to Windows 10 v 1903 but not 1909.

I note that my MR version 7.2.4325 has been patched at least 10 times since.

1. How important is it to patch MR if it seems to be working fine?
        2. Do you patch by checking from within the program and downloading, or does a newer version need to be downloaded and installed?  Uninstall the current version first?
        3. Do you have to make a new Rescue Media or Rebuild the Rescue Media with each patch installed?
        4. What happens to my numerous Full backups that I have made?
        Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
      • #2297681 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus
        1.  Probably not that important.  Often, a new version refers to something which you do not have on your PC, so is irrelevant to you.  But on the other hand, it may be fixing a bug.
        2.  If a new version is available (and provided you are connected to the internet at the time), the program will tell you the next time you run it, and will offer to download and install it.  It will do so over the top, there is no need to uninstall.  The whole procedure takes only a few minutes, just follow the prompts.
        3.  No, not necessary, although as a matter of course you should so so from time to time, or when a major new version comes out (e.g. from v7 to v8).
        4. You can just delete old backups, once they become out of date and you have newer ones.

By the way, my version (which I believe is current) is v7.2.5107.  For automatic detection of a new version, look at the settings in Other Tasks > Edit Defaults > Update.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Bundaburra.
      • #2297693 Reply
        jburk07
        AskWoody Plus

I second Bundaburra’s answers and have a few additional thoughts:

1. I usually read the update notes (which appear when the program notifies you of a new version, as Bundaburra indicated) to see if anything is likely to affect me before I update. I sometimes go months or longer before updating if nothing is relevant; many of the fixes are for features I don’t use or don’t have in Macrium Reflect Free.

3. The update notes will also tell you when you *need* to create new rescue media because of an update. I agree with Bundaburra about making new rescue media from time to time.

4. If your question is whether you can use the new program version and/or new rescue media to view/restore any old backups you might keep, there shouldn’t be any problem. I keep some older image backups for different reasons and haven’t had a problem accessing those backup images using a newer version of Macrium Reflect Free or new rescue media. I do always test my new rescue DVD’s right after making them to make sure they work.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2
        Group A:
        Win7 Pro x64 SP1 Haswell, 0patch Pro, dual boot with Linux
        Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Ivy Bridge, 0patch Pro, mostly offline
        Win 10 Pro x64 v1909 Ivy Bridge, dual boot with Linux

• #2297740 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I would patch and keep up to date a crucial backup software just like keeping up to date an A/V software.

• #2297747 Reply
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

If you’re using the free version of Macrium, you won;t get the update prompts.  You can do this by using KC Sumo, which, on my machine scans 91 different executables, and reports on available updates.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #2297760 Reply
        jburk07
        AskWoody Plus

On my Win10 1909 system, I get a notification in the Windows notification area that Macrium Reflect Free has an update available. Some users might have those notifications turned off, but the Reflect application itself also pops up a notification of an update when I open the app.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2
        Group A:
        Win7 Pro x64 SP1 Haswell, 0patch Pro, dual boot with Linux
        Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Ivy Bridge, 0patch Pro, mostly offline
        Win 10 Pro x64 v1909 Ivy Bridge, dual boot with Linux

• #2297919 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

Under the heading of Rescue Media, I forgot to mention that in addition to creating a physical medium (CD, DVD,USB) you should also add Macrium to the Windows Boot Menu.  Provided that your machine is bootable, this will allow you to boot straight into the recovery environment when doing a cold start.  It will default to normal Windows in x seconds if you do nothing, and the value of x can be set in msconfig > Boot > Timeout.  You would probably only need to do this once;  just notice if the option is not there or disappears.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• #2298092 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

I am a new user of Home Free, so I’ll toss in my ha’pence of hopefully-useful references for anyone who may be considering the product.

A – The Macrium home page has a link adjacent to the main title, that brings up the latest Release Notes, which right now is 7.2.5107. These Notes are quite good.

B – The User Guide may be viewed on-line, or downloaded as a PDF.

C –

I note that my MR version 7.2.4325 has been patched at least 10 times since.

is conservative. In the Notes I count 22 dot changes since then. But only a few have a bolded notation that recommends some action. One, v7.2.4732 – 15th February 2020, has a red notice.

• #2298386 Reply
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

FWIW, I’m still using version 6.3.1865 and it has worked on all versions of W10 up to 1909, haven’t installed 2004 yet. I use this version because I can fully automate it with PowerShell. Version 7 Free does not allow automatic exit so it won’t return control to PowerShell. I’ve never had a problem and I backup bi-weekly and restore a lot due to tinkering.

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Macrium Reflect Free – patch how often?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.