News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Macrium Reflect Free Rescue Media on external HDD?

Posted on cmptrgy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions – Maintenance and backups Macrium Reflect Free Rescue Media on external HDD?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

I have a friend who’s willing to create system image backups.
        Since I use MRF, he will also.
        I also informed him to create rescue media: I use a USB but he wants to create it on his external HDD for the system image backups. Is that possible?

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Of course it is, but the creation process will delete any data on the disk unless you know how to do it manually – same if you want to update the boot image.

USB key is just simpler and most machines have more than one USB port.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
        PFC
        AskWoody Plus

put your images on the HDD and the Macrium USB rescue disk will find them for restore

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

If you’re going to place them on the same drive, partition the drive into two drives. One for the rescue media and one for the images. This way you can update the rescue media w\o destroying your images. If you have a system that uses UEFI make sure you initialize the disk as GPT and format the rescue partition as FAT32!

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Macrium Reflect Free Rescue Media on external HDD?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.