News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Macrium Reflect – Rescue Media runs Slow

Home Forums Tools Macrium Reflect – Rescue Media runs Slow

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 13 hours, 3 minutes ago.

• Author

Tex265
      AskWoody Plus

Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64

Recently installed Macrium Reflect Free 7.2.4601 on above system.

A test run of the Rescue Media on USB HDD is very slow – need advice.

System built by Maingear in 2011 has many USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 utilizing an Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Controller.

When making a backup with a USB WD Passbook HDD attached to a 3.0 USB connector all goes well and takes about 5 mins to backup the Primary HDD C: Drive.  Verify takes about same time.

Made the MR Rescue Media.  It selected Windows RE 3.1 (64 Bit).  In checking the Advanced Setting > Devices & Drivers it shows that it picked up 3 Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller and 3 USB 3.0 Extensible Root Hub,  all which show Status “Copy host driver”.

Running the Rescue Media to Verify the Primary HDD backup still connected to the 3.0 USB connector took over 20 minutes to complete.

Thinking somehow this is running a 2.0 USB speed?  If so, how do I get the Rescue Media Builder to recognize the 3.0 speed?  What does “Copy host driver” mean?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
    • #2170602 Reply

WSRolandJS
      AskWoody Plus

I think “copy host driver” means MR7 WIM WinXXRE or PE will use whatever drivers can be found on the computer rather than using compatible drivers from The ‘Net.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin, revisted

• #2170778 Reply

anonymous

From OP,

System built by Maingear in 2011 has many USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 utilizing an Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Controller.

I’m asking the room at large, because I do not know if I am correct or repeating rumor. A Universal Serial Bus, even one entirely populated by USB3.0 ports, can only run the speed of the slowest USB device connected to it. So if a 2.0 device is currently connected to any rated port, it downgrades the speed of the entire bus. First, for the room, is this correct?

Second for Tex265, are there any 2.0 devices connected at the time you experienced slow speed on your 3.0 device in the 3.0 port?

• #2171064 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Each USB port will be separate so devices will not affect each other.

cheers, Paul

• #2171222 Reply

anonymous

I read Fred Langa to suggest that standard practice has USB2.0 on a common internal hub, separate from all USB3.0 on their own internal hub. But if the user mixes devices of different standards on a hub (internal or dongle I would imagine) then speed will throttle to the lower standard in order to prevent absolute failure.

So the question to Tex265 remains, but can be more specific, might there be a 2.0 device connected to a 3.0 port during the incident where speed suffered?

If I still misunderstand manufacturing common practice, please help me know better.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Macrium Reflect – Rescue Media runs Slow

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.