News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Macrium Reflect triggers BSOD on 32-bit Win7 systems after installing KB 4088875, this month’s Monthly Rollup

Home Forums AskWoody blog Macrium Reflect triggers BSOD on 32-bit Win7 systems after installing KB 4088875, this month’s Monthly Rollup

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

There aren’t a lot of details just yet, but Macrium has posted a warning: After installing the Windows 7 update patch released on 13th March 2018, 32
        [See the full post at: Macrium Reflect triggers BSOD on 32-bit Win7 systems after installing KB 4088875, this month’s Monthly Rollup]

7 users thanked author for this post.
      • #176848 Reply
        Pepsiboy
        AskWoody Lounger

There aren’t a lot of details just yet, but Macrium has posted a warning: After installing the Windows 7 update patch released on 13th March 2018, 32[See the full post at: Macrium Reflect triggers BSOD on 32-bit Win7 systems after installing KB 4088875, this month’s Monthly Rollup]

Woody,

Does this also include the “Security Only” update KB4088878 ?

Dave

• #176890 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

Good question. I don’t know – and the Macrium site doesn’t say anything that I can find.

• #176853 Reply
        Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

I dont get Microsoft, they want us to update, but they only give us broken updates.

and I don’t mean Windows 7 only, I mean Windows 10 too and its broken Fall creators update.

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
        3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #176868 Reply
        anonymous

??? M$ bricking Macrium Reflect in order to push Win 7 32bit dummy users onto new OEM Win 10 machines.???

• #176876 Reply
        WildBill
        AskWoody Plus

Not bragging, but I have Reflect 7.1, which isn’t affected (I also am on Win 8.1, 64 bit, so you may color me irrelevant). Once you’ve followed Macrium’s instructions to escape the BSOD, please consider updating to Reflect 7.1, if you can. It’s a free version, too.

Windows 8.1, 64-bit, back in Group A... & leaning toward Windows 10 V2004. As long as it's a Lot Less Buggy!
        Wild Bill Rides Again...

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #176884 Reply
        wdburt1
        AskWoody Plus

I use both the free and paid version of Macrium Reflect and certainly plan to keep doing so.  Microsoft could learn a thing or two from them about how to conduct themselves and keep on making the product reliable, useful and unobtrusive.

6 users thanked author for this post.
      • #176886 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

I run Windows 7-32 in a virtual machine, so all I have to do when backing up is copy the Windows 7 VM folder.

However, I am running Windows 7-64 and 8.1-64 as the host system on two computers, and I use Macrium Reflect Free to back up both of them. Hopefully this bug won’t affect them.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        • #176892 Reply
          WildBill
          AskWoody Plus

If you’re running Reflect 7.1, you’re good on the 64-bit machines.

Windows 8.1, 64-bit, back in Group A... & leaning toward Windows 10 V2004. As long as it's a Lot Less Buggy!
          Wild Bill Rides Again...

• #177065 Reply
            anonymous

Trouble is MR v7.1 follows the modern software trend of adding unnecessary always-on services.

Best case: Unnecessary always-on services are a security risk.

Worst case: They’re directly data mining your PC.

-lehnerus2000

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #176883 Reply
        anonymous

I have a dual boot 32-bit Windows 7 and 8.1 updated with the recent March Monthly Rollup running free Macrium Reflect version 6 and haven’t experienced any issues (no BSOD).

According the Macrium release notes:

Windows 7/10 32 Bit BSOD when booting
        A Windows Update on the 13th March has caused some Windows 7 and 10 32 bit systems to fail to load Windows after updating. The error occurs when kernel mode driver ‘pssnap.sys’ loads at boot time. This update removes ‘pssnap.sys’ from boot time configuration.
        Note: Simply deleting the file is insufficient to resolve the problem.
        We recommend that 32 bit installations of Macrium Reflect on XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7, 32 bit operating systems update to this release.
        If you have already updated Windows and experience this error then please see this KB article for a solution:
        https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Windows+7+32+bit+BSOD+after+MS+Windows+Update
        If you have not yet updated Windows then please update to this version of Macrium Reflect to enable Windows to update without problems.
        After updating, XP, Vista and Windows 7 32 bit systems, will no longer have ‘pssnap.sys’ available. If MS VSS shadow copies fail, then your backups will no-longer fall back to using ‘pssnap’. Please ensure that any VSS errors are resolved to successfully complete your backups.

• #176910 Reply
        HonzaZKrumlova
        AskWoody Lounger

I have to confirm this info. I have had Win7/32bit machine 2 days ago to repair, with Macrium reflect installed. Exactly that BSOD reason. In this case, Macrium 4, quite old version (but present in Hiren BCD, thats why I still use it).

Will miss you, Macrium 4, rest in peace.

Will check what about SecurityOnly

• #176917 Reply
        cesmart4125
        AskWoody Plus

Jim, since you’re running Windows 7-64 and 8.1-64 as the host system on two computers, you should be safe.

Last night, I posted this information on another thread.  If your primary operating system is a 32-bit installation of Windows 7 or Windows 10 upgraded from Win 7, and you’re not having this problem, I’d suggest installing the current version of Macrium Reflect.  This should precede updating either of these OS.

If you are xperiencing the problem, you should refer to https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Windows+7+32+bit+BSOD+after+MS+Windows+Update

This is my interpretation of the info from Macrium Release Notes.  Good luck to all in avoiding this problem.

Edited for HTML. Please use text tab for copy and paste.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #176926 Reply
        bobcat5536
        AskWoody Plus

And yet, as of this morning this update is still being offered ? Even if the box is checked or unchecked, how many people will check the box and install it not knowing what the possibly outcome will be. Does this sound like a company that cares about it’s customers ?

• #176940 Reply
          anonymous

It’s not offered for me, hasn’t been in a while. Win 7 32 bit, Group B, all installed up to Feb plus the Mar IE update, checking for updates just shows the Feb bundle, Mar one vanished some time ago.

• #176982 Reply
            bobcat5536
            AskWoody Plus

It’s still being offered to me, even though the box is unchecked. My point is get the dang thing off the servers, it shouldn’t be being offered to anyone at all.

• #176959 Reply
        Clairvaux
        AskWoody Lounger

This is a very good reason not to update Windows at all. The main point of updating is to avoid malware. One of the best ways (if not the best) to protect oneself against the consequences of malware is having backups and images all over the place.

If Windows updates break one of the best imaging and backup systems around, isn’t it time to call off the whole circus ? That’s not meant to belittle the considerable work being done here, of course.

4 users thanked author for this post.
        • #177018 Reply
          wdburt1
          AskWoody Plus

The whole thing has become ridiculous–a constant circus of scares and exhortations to behave like squirrels on a treadmill.

• #177027 Reply
        HonzaZKrumlova
        AskWoody Lounger

Woody, Does this also include the “Security Only” update KB4088878 ? Dave

Confirmed, I have test machine  with Group B win7\32bit, after March security only KB4088878, it crashed the same BSOD. And, btw, Macrium reflect free v 4.2 (presume it affect 4-7version)

Just wondering, how this could be Meltdown/Spectre collateral damage on C2D CPU.

Edit: Confirming, W10/x86 upgraded from W7 BSODed too. Seen at Intel C2D, AMD Athalon, Intel core i3-2nd gen…

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #177030 Reply
        jburk07
        AskWoody Plus

Not bragging, but I have Reflect 7.1, which isn’t affected (I also am on Win 8.1, 64 bit, so you may color me irrelevant). Once you’ve followed Macrium’s instructions to escape the BSOD, please consider updating to Reflect 7.1, if you can. It’s a free version, too.

Thanks, Wild Bill.   Just to clarify, those who are affected by the problem need to be on the latest version of 7.1 (as cesmart4125 also stated earlier), which is 7.1.2963 from 17th March 2018.  The earlier editions of 7.1 don’t include the fix.   (The release notes quoted by Anonymous in post #176883 are for that latest edition.)   I am currently on 7.1.2917, from 27 February, so I plan to update to 7.1.2963 before Defcon 3 just to be sure, even though I’m running 64-bit Windows 7.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2
        Group A:
        Win7 Pro x64 SP1 Haswell, 0patch Pro, dual boot with Linux
        Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Ivy Bridge, 0patch Pro, mostly offline
        Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Arrandale, offline
        Win 10 Pro x64 v1909 Ivy Bridge

• #177175 Reply
        rc primak
        AskWoody_MVP

If this turns out to be related to Spectre mitigations, I think it is Paramount Software’s responsibility to update their product to be compatible with the security changes in Windows. I expect they will do so, and there will be another update for Macrium Reflect.  Then I’ll have to make new rescue media and a new Boot Menu Option, even though my 32-bits installation is Windows 10 Pro and my other Windows 10 Pro is 64-bits. When even one Windows Version has issues with Macrium Reflect, we all have to suffer a program update.

-- rc primak

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 14 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Macrium Reflect triggers BSOD on 32-bit Win7 systems after installing KB 4088875, this month’s Monthly Rollup

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.