News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Macrium Reflect v6.3 BSOD

Posted on WSbromberg Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions – Maintenance and backups Macrium Reflect v6.3 BSOD

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WSRolandJS 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

WSbromberg
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello Support:

I have 2 PCs running Vista but one of them was more up-to-date than the other, so I decided to use Macrium Reflect v6.3 to sync them. I successfully created a differential image backup of my more current PC and saved it to an external HDD. When I used the Macrium PE 3.1 rescue disk and pointed it to this Macrium backup, after 3 hours I received a report that the restore to the second Vista PC completed successfully. However, when I tried to boot this second PC I received a BSOD with a STATUS code: 0xc000000f and a STOP code: 0x0000007B and an error message: “THE BOOT SELECTION FAILED BECAUSE A REQUIRED DEVICE IS INACCESSIBLE”.

The PC I attempted to restore to was functioning fine (under Vista) with no problems but now Macrium will not let it boot (since it terminates with a BSOD).

Thanks,
      Dan

• #1588950 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

This is expected as the machines have different hardware and the updated machine no longer has the drivers it needs.
      You may be able to persuade vista to update its drivers by starting in safe mode, but I suspect it’s either restore from backup or re-build.

cheers, Paul

• #1588975 Reply

WSbromberg
        AskWoody Lounger

This is expected as the machines have different hardware and the updated machine no longer has the drivers it needs.
        You may be able to persuade vista to update its drivers by starting in safe mode, but I suspect it’s either restore from backup or re-build.

cheers, Paul

Paul,
        I cannot restore from my backup since I get the BSOD and cannot even get to SAFE MODE.
        Also, the Macrium Reflect wiped out the restore partition (provided by HP) so I cannot rebuild.

However, I see where Macrium has a “ReDeploy” option (not in their free version, of course :() that allows to restore to dissimilar hardware.
        Thanks for youre reply,
        Dan

• #1589015 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You should be able to boot from the Macrium rescue disk as you did in post #1. Is this not working now?

cheers, Paul

• #1589023 Reply

WSbromberg
        AskWoody Lounger

You should be able to boot from the Macrium rescue disk as you did in post #1. Is this not working now?

cheers, Paul

Paul,
        No problem booting from the rescue disk but that disk does not contain the ReDeploy feature. In order to do that I must purchase their HOME edition for ($69.95). Without the ReDeploy option I cannot restore to different hardware.

Dan

• #1589050 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

Did you backup the computer you were trying to ‘update’ ? That would be the easiest road to recvery. It is always a good idea to have a backup, especially when doing something that is potentially wiping everything on your disk. If not the MR purchase will serve you well, you will still likely need to do some home work getting drivers and MS license #s and such.

:cheers:

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • #1589056 Reply

WSbromberg
        AskWoody Lounger

Did you backup the computer you were trying to ‘update’ ? That would be the easiest road to recvery. It is always a good idea to have a backup, especially when doing something that is potentially wiping everything on your disk. If not the MR purchase will serve you well, you will still likely need to do some home work getting drivers and MS license #s and such.

:cheers:

David,
        The PC I was restoring to had no data I cared about on it. But I was very disappointed when MR trashed it with the BSoD and wiped out the vendor’s restore partition that came with the original PC. Now I’m forced to purchase their HOME edition for the ReDeploy utility built into it. They could have done a better job warning me; though they did document the possibility, I wasn’t looking for it.
        Dan

• #1589058 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

It is not Macrium’s fault you restored an image to the wrong machine. You should always have a backup of machines, just in case.

cheers, Paul

• #1589061 Reply

WSbromberg
        AskWoody Lounger

It is not Macrium’s fault you restored an image to the wrong machine. You should always have a backup of machines, just in case.

cheers, Paul

I restored an image to the PC I intended it for and will take the blame for not reading up on their free version not supporting their ReDeploy feature.
        However, what I do blame them for is wiping out my factory restore partition since I saw no warning that would happen.

No real harm done since no important data was lost.

Dan

• #1589164 Reply

RockE
          AskWoody Plus

I restored an image to the PC I intended it for and will take the blame for not reading up on their free version not supporting their ReDeploy feature.
          However, what I do blame them for is wiping out my factory restore partition since I saw no warning that would happen.

No real harm done since no important data was lost.

Dan

Did you image the entire hard drive? If so, that image would include “all” partitions (even hidden partitions like the factory recovery partition). When I want to preserve hidden partitions I image them for safe keeping. (Imaging a drive before you overwrite it can sometimes prove to be handy. I never know when I’ll change my mind.)

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
          - - - - -
          Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #1589182 Reply

Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

I never know when I’ll change my mind.

I do, when I least expect it!

cheers, Paul

• #1589437 Reply

RockE
              AskWoody Plus

I do, when I least expect it!

cheers, Paul

:evilgrin:

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
              - - - - -
              Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #1589091 Reply

WSRolandJS
      AskWoody Plus

Just before it was wiped away, did the factory restore partition have a drive letter assigned to it? If so, what was that drive letter? I’m a user of MR a lot, and I want to learn from your experience.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin, revisted

• #1589104 Reply

WSbromberg
        AskWoody Lounger

Just before it was wiped away, did the factory restore partition have a drive letter assigned to it? If so, what was that drive letter? I’m a user of MR a lot, and I want to learn from your experience.

As I recall, I’m almost certain the drive letter “D:/” was assigned to the factory restore partition.
        I had used it once to restore my OS to the original out-of-the-box state.

Looks like I’ll have to now purchase the MR HOME version to access their ReDeploy utility so I can hopefully avoid the BSoD I get upon booting.

Good luck!

• #1589154 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Roland, you shouldn’t have a drive letter for the factory restore partition, in fact you shouldn’t be able to see it from Windows except in Disk Manager – to prevent you making changes to it and breaking it.

cheers, Paul

• #1589160 Reply

WSRolandJS
      AskWoody Plus

Paul – I wanted to backtrack thread starter’s computer problem; I know hidden partitions should not have drive letters, I wanted to find out if during a restore operations, MR was accidentally “told” to overwrite “drive D”. Many users have “C drive” for the OS partition and “D drive” for the data partition, if one forgets that all exxternal boots cause drive letters to be shuffled – problems.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin, revisted

• #1589563 Reply

bharder
      AskWoody Lounger

I changed my mind once, but then I didn’t know who I was!

:confused:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Macrium Reflect v6.3 BSOD

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.