News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Macrium restore to new dissimilar SSD/MB or Clean Win10 Install?

Posted on Sproots Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions – Maintenance and backups Macrium restore to new dissimilar SSD/MB or Clean Win10 Install?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Sproots
        AskWoody Plus

Not sure if this the proper forum as it is Win10 + new hardware + Macrium.  Please move if needed.  I almost have all the parts for a new build.
        OLDWin10 Pro 64 RETAIL – SATA SSD 2TB – Asus Hero 1150 MB – I7-4790K
        NEWSame Win10 Pro 64 RETAIL Image – PCIE NVME SSD 2TB – EVGA DARK 1151 MB -I9-9900KS
        Q. Can I simply have Macrium restore/image to the NVME Drive and let Win10 pickup the new hardware and manually install new drivers as needed.

Q. Or is that asking for too much difference for Win10 existing to properly boot and update without corruption?
        I don’t mind doing a clean install but was wondering if I could safely save some time without too much chance of Win10 existing install breaking.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Sproots. Reason: title
      • #2142081 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Yes, you can restore and Microsoft will pickup the new drivers…

• #2153102 Reply
          RetiredGeek
          AskWoody MVP

Alex,

Not necessarily, I tried just last week to restore an Image (just made) from my wife’s Dell Inspiron 137000 laptop to her new Inspiron 145000 laptop and it didn’t work (machine wouldn’t boot). I followed all the steps including the saving of the drivers from the 145000 to the Image HD so I could point Reflect at them w/o success. As always YMMV!

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
          Computer Specs

• #2152834 Reply
        agoldhammer
        AskWoody Plus

Windows is linked to your motherboard so you will have to make sure it is properly re-activated.  You should be able to deactivate it before you make this transition and, if it’s linked to your MSFT account, it should re-activate when you log in.  Otherwise you will need to do a phone activation using the Windows product key.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Macrium restore to new dissimilar SSD/MB or Clean Win10 Install?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.