News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Macrium vs. ToDo backup/image, free or paid

Posted on MikeyD215 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Macrium vs. ToDo backup/image, free or paid

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        MikeyD215
        AskWoody Plus

Anybody with experience using both Macrium and ToDo (free or paid or both) to create images? Which do you prefer after using both of them? And why?

There is no sense replying if you have used only one or the other of them. I am sure each outfit  has its supporters.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I’ve used those and others. My preference of free apps in order of complexity of use. I have no preference otherwise, although I do like the new ransomware protection in the paid versions.

Aomei Backupper
        Easus ToDo, Paragon
        Macrium

cheers, Paul

MikeyD215
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul, but is that in order of least complexity to most or most complexity to least?

Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

Least complex to most.

cheers, Paul

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Paul T.
        jbrid123
        AskWoody Plus

Hi – I’ve used Macrium (free) for some time now. It is very easy to use – I’ve had zero difficulty choosing options, as the labels are very clear. It also has functioned flawlessly.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          MikeyD215
          AskWoody Plus

That is nice, but have you ever used EaseUs ToDo for comparison?

“There is no sense replying if you have used only one or the other of them.”

What I am seeking is comparisons in actual use.

Thanks anyway.

Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

I have used ToDo for some years. The only problem I’ve had has been the difficulty of translating responses from Easeus when I’ve had problems. Let’s just say sometimes something gets lost in translation.

I’m still using a Win 7 laptop with a 500GB SSD, and intend to keep using it until MS comes up with something a great deal better than Win 10. Since it is not getting updates I decided to buy a second 500Gb drive to make a clone and keep that drive on a shelf. I initialized and formatted the new drive. To be sure to be sure I made an image of the original drive on a third drive using ToDo; then using Macrium I cloned the laptop drive on to the new one.

All seemed to go well, then I tried to boot from the newly cloned drive. Screeds of black and white, DOS-type text streamed up the screen, yards of it, when it stopped the screen was plain black. I wasn’t unduly worried, something was wrong with the clone, but the drive in the laptop wouldn’t have been affected. Disconnected the new drive and rebooted. Another screed of black and white text, followed by death.

Well that was disconcerting, but I still had the image, and an emergency boot disk. When I re-booted using it I found that I could only get into Safe Mode, and when I tried to restore the image using Easeus I got a warning, “Easeus cannot be run in Safe Mode”.

Having been around computers since the Z-80 and DOS 3.1 I played around with it for days before admitting that this was above my pay grade and went looking for a repair shop. When I explained what had happened the first two decided that in fact they were rather too busy to take on the job; the third one did take it on. Ten days later I got it back, image restored, drive cloned, Win 10 held at bay. And you wont be surprised to know that I uninstalled Macrium.

Rhino

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

EaseUS wouldn’t run on your machine to restore your data so you remove Macrium?

cheers, Paul

MikeyD215
          AskWoody Plus

Perhaps, instead of booting into safe mode you should have used the EaseUs bootable recovery disc (that you should have created when you first made an image with ToDo) and then booted from that. I cannot identify the specific difference between safe mode and the bootable UFD, but there must be or else there would be no need for the recovery UFD, other than the fact that EaseUs ToDo will not work in safe mode.

Did you ever figure out what went wrong with the Macrium image?

BTW, I sort of hate to admit it, but the first computer I worked on was an IBM 1401, that’s “second generation.” Had fun porting over a COBOL program running on an IBM 370 mainframe onto an AT class PC in 1987.

JohnW
        AskWoody Lounger

My approach to selection of a disk imaging program may have been a bit different. I chose based on the program that offered most user friendly User Guide for me.

I downloaded 4 of the leading programs user guides, and did a quick read of them all.

Then I chose the one that answered my main questions in the least complicated, most user friendly way. Your choice would probably differ from mine, based on your personal priorities. But it seems this was a sensible approach to compatibility for the end user. I am happy with my choice! 🙂

Good luck in your hunt. They all basically do the same thing, but it’s important for you to grasp the details of your chosen one.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Macrium vs. ToDo backup/image, free or paid

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.