News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Macro app for Windows 10?

Home Forums Tools Macro app for Windows 10?

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Dear all; hope you’re safe and sound.

Which is the best macro app – ideally free – Windows10 that is “easy-to-use”.

Need a tool for a simpleton who can grasp it within a few seconds  – I cannot code a PDP-11!

What I find is that so much of my work is repeat key-presses; want to automate as much as possible.

TIA.

georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

http://www.spacetornado.com/DoItAgain/  is a simple freeware keystroke / mouse click app for reproducing actions.

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

A few days ago, Microsoft released one for free for all Win10 users.  Recall seeing this a few days ago but don’t originally remember where so did a search and found the article below (parallel article from the one I originally read).   🙂

Microsoft’s Power Automate Desktop is now free for all Windows 10 users

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Rick Corbett
          AskWoody_MVP

Thanks for the info, @lylejk. I’m always interested in automation stuff.

I’ve just downloaded the Power Automate Desktop installer (172MB) to have a look at its capabilities.

There’s more info about Power Automate Desktop here but note that the ‘free ebook’ purporting to describe in greater detail how to use it is only available if you fill out copious details, including email address and phone number. The ebook describes itself as:

E-book: Make Your PC Do the Work for You
          Learn how to automate routine tasks, boost efficiency, and free up time using Power Automate Desktop.

Once you fill the details out, the 12-page ebook will appear in your browser and can be downloaded as a ~4.5MB PDF.

The font size is large and the ebook has loads of spurious graphic images. As a result, the actual useful content, i.e. how to automate tasks, is minimal and not once does it describe how to actually use Power Automate Desktop.

As a result, if you give the free ebook a miss then IMO you will not have missed any significant or useful information.

Hope this helps…

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

It turns out that Power Automate Desktop is a non-starter for me. There is no way to use it purely locally (it stores its workflows online – OneDrive by default) and it insists that you sign in (i.e. with a Microsoft Account) before you can use it.

After reading the Microsoft documentation it’s also clear that Microsoft intend monetising the heck out of it as the full feature set is only available to businesses that ‘buy a plan’.

I’m aware that Microsoft intend baking the basic features of Power Automate Desktop into new versions of Windows 10 so perhaps this will change. However, for now I’m not going to explore any further. I detest apps that mandate ‘signing in’ before they can be used.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Macro app for Windows 10?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.