News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Mail marge & International Postal Codes

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function MS Word and word processing help Mail marge & International Postal Codes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

Sueska 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

anonymous

I am trying to import my data from Excel into Word using Mail Merge.

Some data fields have a combination of numbers and letters – Ex.  International Postal Codes are international.  The mail merge will not properly import the postal
      code if it includes Alphanumeric characters.  Instead it imports a 0 in its place. I have tried
      reformatting the cells in Excel but I still get zeros in Word.

I’ve tried saving the data source as a CSV as well as using DDE when running the merge and still no luck

Anyone have a solution?
      Thanks!

• #1860534 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I’ll start by referring you to this thread on Word Mailmerge.
      Others will probably be along to add to the information.

• #1860544 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Are you able to enter the alphanumeric data in Excel’s cells using the Special formatting of a cell?

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• #1860652 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

Postal codes have all been developed by different countries in different ways.  Most, though not all, are numeric, some with five digits, others with four.  Just a few have alphanumeric systems, the UK, the Netherlands and Canada, all different.  You couldn’t make it up.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #1860945 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

We’ve imported such data using Word mailmerge and have had no such problem. However, as we’re in the UK we we don’t have the problem of a mixture of alphanumeric and numeric. Our postcode field is a text field – is that the case with your field (you don’t say what formats you’ve tried)?

• #1861924 Reply

Sueska
      AskWoody Plus

I believe the answer you are seeking is in the resource link provided above by PKCano. Read the section on Mail Merge Data Format Problems. When trying to mailmerge excel files, the first 8 rows are evaluated to determine the data type. It does not matter what you set the data type in the excel spreadsheet. For example, if during the merge, the first 8 rows of the zipcode field are evaluated to be numeric, the alphanumeric zipcodes found in later rows will be flagged as being a wrong data type.
      The workaround suggestion in the resource article of “Inserting a dummy first record containing data in the format that is not being output correctly” has always been the easiest workaround for me.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Mail marge & International Postal Codes

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.