News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • make the threads temporally linear

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge make the threads temporally linear

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Purg2 1 month ago.

• Author

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

If you missed my post here https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/from-hot-to-lukewarm-topics-and-subsequent-reactions/#post-1981310
      it kinda proves my point 🤨

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #1981357 Reply

anonymous

Linear v. Nested. This was done, experienced, debated, and decided a couple of years back in an earlier version of the lounge. There was a recovery period, long before swallowing the WS whale, that reverted all topics to what you describe as linear.

After some time and discussion, all new posts reverted to what has been called nested. but all the posts in between became very hard to follow. Not easily seeing which policy was in force at the time of posting. It changes the conversations and requires different habits of quoting and referencing.

Either is a legitimate choice. But changing over, and worse changing back, is no small detail.

• #1982153 Reply

Purg2
      AskWoody Lounger

I used to be a strong advocate of the linear model until I saw Woody’s reply to the quoted post in the OP.

What I learned from his post was that WoodPress functions better for the greater good as nested.  While I certainly don’t prefer it, I can accept it because having stability is much more valuable to the entire community.

Thanks Woody, frequently learning here Purg is.

Win 8.1 Group B, Linux Dabbler

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: make the threads temporally linear

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.