News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Malicious Worm on Linux-based IoT Devices

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Malicious Worm on Linux-based IoT Devices

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mn– 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Tracking the Hide and Seek Botnet

By MalwareTech | January 9, 2019

Hide and Seek (HNS) is a malicious worm which mainly infects Linux based IoT devices and routers. The malware spreads via bruteforcing SSH/Telnet credentials, as well as some old CVEs. What makes HNS unique is there’s no command and control server; instead, it receives updates using a custom peer-to-peer network created out of infected devices.

Botnet Connectivity
      Each HNS infected device runs a UDP server on a port which is either provided upon infection, or randomized. Newly infected devices are given a list of IP and port combinations which correspond to other HNS infected devices (known as peers). Infected devices maintains a list of other peers which has a limited size based on available RAM (usually around 512).

Read the full article here

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #292449 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

IoT security has never been reported to be good. You need to have some sort of firewall protection so that the traffic getting to and from the IoT device is controlled. Even with that, I’m still hesitant to use or recommend these devices.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #308613 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

I have some trouble coming up with a list of ways in which the IoT could make it much easier for me to do something very important and that I really need “right now”, that cannot wait until I get around to do it the old-school way. (Devices that send an alarm over the telephone or the Internet when the user has a bad fall or a heart attack have been around for some time and probably do not to count as part of the IoT.)

After all, mine is one of the latest generations of a human lineage that goes back tens of thousands of years and hundreds of generations and, in all that time, people have been making do without the IoT out there to help. But, in spite of such lack of pricy IoT equipment, all those people have managed to keep things going (and even going very well, at times) until today, with its Silicon Valley gurus and the rest of us.

Of course, keeping up with the neighbors and getting one over them, when possible, is an equally ancient sport.

• #308618 Reply

anonymous

Reliable clean water and flush toilets are relatively new developments on your timeline as well. Not all the old ways are the good ways.

Eventually we will get cool new gadgets that are also feature security. It took a while to make steam trains safe too.

• #309898 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

… hey, then again… A badly done flush toilet can be a lot worse than a badly done outhouse, let alone a semi-decent outhouse.

IoT, right now, is at the stage where you can’t yet expect an off-the-shelf solution be done well enough to be better than the old way. Let’s hope the technologies mature quickly…

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Malicious Worm on Linux-based IoT Devices

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.