News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Manjaro Releases

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

I always want to Know the Linux Kernel version number that any new Distro ISO/Update ships with as well because the hardware/driver support comes via the Linux Kernel. The Desktop Environments supported as well as folks have their preferences.  But if it’s Arch based then that’s probably the latest Linux Kernel as Arch is the vanguard there most certainly.

Ascaris
        AskWoody MVP

Manjaro, as you noted, is a rolling release distro based on Arch, so its packages are quite recent. I checked Distrowatch, and it confirmed that Manjaro 20.1 comes with the 5.8.6 kernel, which will continue to advance as new versions are released. I tried Manjaro KDE recently, and I found it to be a solid and good looking (by default… of course, you can make it look however you want) distro. Ultimately, though, it didn’t provide what I was looking for, as many programs are not offered in Arch/Manjaro (binary) packages.

One example was my Canon printer’s driver package (from Canon directly). It is available for Debian, Ubuntu, and derivatives, and also Fedora, CentOS, and RHEL. I did get it to work in OpenSUSE too, but it took some fiddling around. It’s based on the standard Linux CUPS, so it is probable that the files within the driver package could be manually installed on just about any distro, but I would have to mess with it (I don’t know right offhand how to do it).

There was a version of my printer’s driver in the AUR, the Arch User Repository, but even though it was the one listed for my model, it didn’t work. I don’t mind the usual Linux amount of messing around, but I’d like to smooth the path as much as possible.

That was what eventually led me to Fedora. I wanted something that offered KDE Plasma as a preinstalled desktop, in a recent version (5.18 or 5.19), with Qt 5.13+, and with a functional KDE Connect (which unfortunately rules out Ubuntu 20.04-based releases, like Neon, at present). Fedora’s KDE Plasma “spin” (their term for the KDE version) of version 32 ticks all of the boxes, and is quite a nice distro– though not without its own idiosyncrasies.

Other than the Ubuntu/Debian family, the Fedora/RHEL/CentOS family seems to have the best third-party program support of any of the families, no doubt because of the heavy-hitter status of RHEL in the corporate world. My printer driver installed without any issue, as it did in Neon, and I was able to get all my stuff that had worked in Neon working in Fedora. Only one thing, LinSSID, a close copy of InSSIDer for Windows, did not have a precompiled binary available. It’s only offered for Ubuntu, but I was able to follow the author’s Ubuntu-based directions to get it compiled in Linux. It works just fine now.

FWIW, Fedora 32 is also on 5.8.x with the current updates. Fedora 32 is not a rolling release, but the updates come quickly  (every 6 months). Like OpenSUSE, Fedora has both a rapid release version and a rolling release version.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.0 User Edition)

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Manjaro 21.0.4 Ornara released!

Changes:
        Fixed issues with Gnome 3.38 shell and updated most apps to 40.1
        Grub Theme got restored
        Added latest KDE software
        Updated kernels
        Fixes to Pamac

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-21-0-4-ornara-released/65439

| Quality over Quantity |
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Considering trying out Arch based Manjaro Linux?

New stable realeases are now available for XFCE, KDE Plasma and GNOME bringing the versions up to 20.0.4 ‘Ornara’

Changes:
        Fixed issues with Gnome 3.38 shell and updated most apps to 40.1
        Grub Theme got restored
        Added latest KDE software
        Updated kernels
        Fixes to Pamac

more info: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-21-0-4-ornara-released/65439

| Quality over Quantity |
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Manjaro Releases

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.