News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Manual Inplace upgrade from Win7 to Win10-1909

Posted on georgea Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Manual Inplace upgrade from Win7 to Win10-1909

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

I need to install Win10-1909 on a Win7 PC to upgrade it.  I’m assuming if I use the Media Creation Tool I’d get 2004, so I have an ISO of 1909 from heidoc.net.  Win7 doesn’t natively support mounting ISOs.  I can extract the ISO files with 7-zip.  Can they go on the same partition as Win7?  Or do they need to be on a separate partition? I suspect the former, since it’s not a clean install, but am not sure.   Thanks!

• #2279761 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

You can put the ISO/extracted 1909 on a separate partition and run setup.exe.

Remember to create a full image copy of W7 on an external USB HD and create a restore USB disk-on-key.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2279776 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The easiest is to create a USB from the ISO using something like Rufus, then insert the USB and run setup.exe.

cheers, Paul

• #2279842 Reply
        georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks – Yes, USB+Rufus is good and simple.  But this is a remote PC – no routine physical access unless something goes wrong.  It’d be simplest to put the install files on the Win7 boot partition if that can work.  Obviously for a clean install that won’t work, but for in-place upgrades it should [?].  Maybe a parallel is that if you use the Media Creation Tool, all the files go on the same partition.

• #2279843 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

But if you use the Media Creation Tool at this point, you will get v2004, not v1909.

• #2279846 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Load WinCDEmu, mount the ISO, run setup.exe…

cheers, Paul

• #2279852 Reply
          georgea
          AskWoody Lounger

Does the inplace upgrade copy all the files needed to the system drive before the first reboot?  Or does it go back afterwords looking for more files, in which case they wouldn’t be there.

Either way, WinCDEmu is a great tool; howtogeek had an article on it.  ImDisk and its toolkit is also worth a mention.

• #2279859 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

As I understand it, all files are copied ready to go. You can run the upgrade from a network drive and there is no guarantee that will be available post reboot.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2279849 Reply
        georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

But if you use the Media Creation Tool at this point, you will get v2004, not v1909.

Yes, something to avoid at this time, and thus the question about where to put install files.  The MCT was mentioned as an example where in-place upgrade files go on the Win7 boot partition.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Manual Inplace upgrade from Win7 to Win10-1909

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.