News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Mark your calendar: SpaceX launch today at 4:30pm Eastern Daylight Time

Home Forums AskWoody blog Mark your calendar: SpaceX launch today at 4:30pm Eastern Daylight Time

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

From the SpaceX site (where you can watch the launch, live): SpaceX is targeting Wednesday, May 27 for Falcon 9’s launch of Crew Dragon’s second demon
        [See the full post at: Mark your calendar: SpaceX launch today at 4:30pm Eastern Daylight Time]

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2266420 Reply
        gtd12345
        AskWoody Plus

I think you mean 4:33 pm EDT, not the 6:33 in the headline.  That’s what the text you pasted in says.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2266428 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

Yes 4:33 PM Eastern and it is instantaneous i.e. go or no go at that time or wait for another day!

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2266435 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Thanks. Fixed it!

• #2266450 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

This is the most exciting good news I’ve seen in a long time.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 Storage
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.900 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0b5 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
      • #2266459 Reply
        Myst
        AskWoody Plus

Last US space launch was in 2011. “Godspeed” Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley. 🤗

Win7 SP1 Home x64, MacOS / Chromebook

• #2266513 Reply
        Lars220
        AskWoody Lounger

Here is a little more information from an interesting NASA website:

“Behnken and Hurley were among the first astronauts to begin working and training on SpaceX’s next-generation human space vehicle and were selected for their extensive test pilot and flight experience, including several missions on the space shuttle.”

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/dm2/

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2266607 Reply
        anonymous

Weather Scrub..they can control the rockets but not the weather (yet)

• #2266639 Reply
        Myst
        AskWoody Plus

Make note, next launch scheduled for Saturday May 30, 3:22 p.m. EDT. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this time.

Win7 SP1 Home x64, MacOS / Chromebook

• #2266722 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I’m having a little trouble getting excited by just another space launch. We have been doing them successfully for a while now.

cheers, Paul

• #2266724 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Paul T: For people here in the US it is a big deal: the first launch of a spacecraft carrying a crew to the International Space Station since the retirement of the last Space Shuttle, almost nine years ago. Since then, the Station’s crew members have gone and come back in expensively rented Russian Federation’s Soyuz spacecraft launched from Kazakhstan on Russian rockets. It is also the first time a spacecraft built and operated by a private company, SpaceX, is going to conduct such an operation and will do it using its own rocket. So it is also a test of this company’s spacecraft being used in this way. Because of all that, lots of people, as I write this, are keeping their fingers firmly crossed, and not only those working for NASA and SpaceX. If the launch goes ahead Saturday (or whenever it is), it will be big news, one way or another. This is one of those “our thoughts and prayers are with them” moments.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2266735 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

Since 2011 the US have paid over $3b for their crew missions.
            NASA have commited / spent $8b and have yet to launch.

I can see the political cost but not the monetary.

cheers, Paul

• #2266820 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Not only a matter or politics or money, but also of national pride and the wish to carry on with the magnificent effort of moving out into the bigger cosmos, both together and in competition with those in other countries that are also attempting it. This has always been this way. I am sure there were those who carped about the cost when cathedrals were being built, back in the Middle Ages. But now they are there for all to enjoy and admire.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2266862 Reply
                wavy
                AskWoody Plus

Also consider the Geo/Lunar political space, we were first on the moon and abandoned our our efforts ceding the space to other nations after the shuttle catastrophes. There are economic and political implications that should not be ignored. The NASA moon missions reaped intellectual and financial windfalls via the basic research needed. We do not need to be a Me First nation to not be a should’a, could’a, would’a done that first nation. We do need to be there. (OK please excuse me any non USA folk, you need to consider this to though..

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
              • #2267005 Reply
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

when cathedrals were being built, back in the Middle Ages

Oscar, please don’t attempt to equate a modern democracy with a monarch / serf  system.

cheers, Paul

• #2266804 Reply
          anonymous

It reminded me of the notices for the local fete when we were kids: ‘If wet – indoors’.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Mark your calendar: SpaceX launch today at 4:30pm Eastern Daylight Time

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.