• May 10 2022 Cumulative update KB5013942 – causes issues

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10 version 21H2 – November 2021 Update » May 10 2022 Cumulative update KB5013942 – causes issues

Author
    Topic

May 10, 2022—KB5013942 (OS Builds 19042.1706, 19043.1706, and 19044.1706) (microsoft.com)

On my system after installing this update, logging in gives a black screen and after a while you get to see the desktop. But then things don’t appear to work properly e.g. right click the task bar to start task manager and nothing happens.

You can start control panel and uninstall the update. After doing that things appeared to return to normal.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Just installed KB5013942 on 21H2. No problems.
      Do you use 3rd party hacking apps / registry hacks ?

Or something that relies on .net 3.5

There are reports of some computers having issues.  Not that I’ve seen more in Windows 11 than 10 at this time.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

@RayG

You were on the right track to see what was taking up so much of your processor’s time (and the hard drive’s or ssd’s time).

You just needed to exercise some more patience. When I have that happen on computers at work, I dig into the Task Manager and use the Processes tab to see what’s taking up so much of the processor’s time and what’s taking up so many of the hard drive’s revolutions (yep, they still put spinners in many computers). That then gives me a picture of what to do next, i.e. be patient or call the IT folks to come unclutter the thing.

So, if you somehow actually do have the time, and would like to see just what was going on to better give folks here a heads up, feel free to attempting a reinstall of the monthly update, but this time, have a little more patience while waiting for Task Manager to come up, and a bit more for it to display its info.

One thing that comes to my mind, based upon my own experience over the last decade or so with WU, is that sometimes WU has to do a bunch of housekeeping after rebooting (and sometimes before rebooting as well), and that can occasionally be a resource hog. Once its done, though, things are immediately back to normal.

One other thing that I’ve also seen is exactly what Susan describes in her post above, the installation of a .net patch can also take a while with its own processes mired in post-installation housekeeping of their own. With the .net patches, I’ve seen patches that have a ton of both pre and post reboot housekeeping on Windows 7, but for the most part on Windows 10, the housekeeping has all been pre-reboot.

If these housekeeping routines (both the .net’s and the monthly patch’s) aren’t given enough time to finish, they can create problems with the file structure down the road a bit in the form of file corruption.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ok did a complete clean-up of the system Dism, sfc disk clean-up, Rebooted several times during that process. So, in the end no issues and WU was paused while I did all this. I took a backup and then let WU loose attached image shows what updates were installed:WU Filesfor MAY

Same as before black screen CTRL-ALT-DEL the only way to get task manager running CPU use 1% after about 5 minutes desktop appears but the taskbar is still not responding.

The solution will have something to do with Explorer. I found this improved things if I killed it off and restarted it via task manager. Happens for all users. So far not much further forward on what or why.

No improvement even after letting things run for 45 mins – reboot and its the same old thing but now either a black screen or a taskbar that does not work and you cannot start anything at all.

Same as before black screen CTRL-ALT-DEL the only way to get task manager running

Try leaving it overnight. It may just be MS being busy because the new updates are out.

cheers, Paul

Oh! sorry did I give the wrong impression. All the updates were done without issue. It’s what happens after the restart that is the problem. I just took a screenshot to show what was going to happen before they disappeared.

I’ve got a client with Dell Optiplex 3050’s where this update and two others installed yesterday. Since then, the time on one machine went bonkers, advancing 40 minutes or so, the mouse drifted on its own, and USB3.0 powered hubs/cables which used to work with their dental sensors, no longer are recognized, and neither is the dental sensor when inserted directly. Install of latest Dell drivers did nothing to help. Disabling all the power management features in USB also did nothing. Uninstalling the updates now, starting with KB5013942, but it’s taking it’s damn time.

KB5013942 removal had no effect on the usb device detection issue. Other machines that haven’t received these updates are still working with the hubs and sensors.

Moving on to the other three updates installed yesterday, including KB5012599, KB5013624. Servicing stack 10.0.19041.7040 was also installed. No KB reference.

SSUs get installed as part of the Cumulative update. They can’t be uninstalled. What’s going on in the event logs?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Nothing of note in the event logs as far as I can see apart from a number of DCOM registrations that timeout. The rest of the stuff was pretty much what happened before. I have had to revert back as I needed to use the system – sorry. Not had the courage to try it on any other system so they are all set to pause updates for the time being

On the machine I’m currently working on, the only critical/error indicators in the event log of note:

EventID 34 – Time-Service – The time was reported as off by 1829 seconds this morning, and 1629 seconds last night.

Odd, because I installed a TSR application called network time synctool that’s meant to keep the clock updated with regular checks with multiple external time servers throughout the day, so the above error shouldn’t have occurred at all, unless there’s some sort of process that’s changing the time.

Removal of KB5012599 had no effect, in fact, a different security update took its place upon uninstall. KB5004237, with today as its new install date.

Moving on to KB5013624 removal.

KB5004237  is coming up because of supercedence.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Yes I figured as much. Of course WU had already reached the end of the number of times I was able to pause it, so all those updates I removed, the OS decided to reinstall them later in the afternoon. Awesome. devices still don’t work. Sigh.

Unless you disable the wu service, they will reinstall.  So have you established that the computer functions if you uninstall the updates?  If it doesn’t go back to functional, it may just be a coincidence of patching.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Let’s see. Lots of updates, quite a few are .NET . Slow, high CPU.. would have been reaching for ngen executeQueuedItems to sort out a very busy mscorsvw by pushing the processing into the foreground a few years back. Now I’d be pondering given a recent post about registration of .NET assemblies with an AMD driver if the display driver is just old and if maybe getting into the recovery options (hold left shift and use power button to ask to shutdown might work) and see if it completes in safe mode with just the display driver rather than that plus tray apps and the rest running..

Mine machine is fine, but I don’t need much beyond baseline..

I experience problems after installing the update kb5013942 and after reboot on my DELL Latitude E6430 which was working fine bevor updating this so called ‘security update’!

First 5 to 6 minutes black screen after logging into account. Same things happen when logging into other accounts. Taskmanager needs 5 Minutes an more to start regardless if I do it by ctrl+alt+del or by shell. Programs in autorun also need several minutes until they are ready to go. HWINFO-64 starts but freezes after 1 or 2 seconds.

After uninstalling kb5013942 everythings works as before! So the update is definitly buggy and I am afraid that Micro$soft is using us as beta-testers once again :-((

Updates are suspended until 14 th Juni hoping that M$ will fix the issue till then.

However on my Lenovo Miix 310-10 kb5013942 installed smoothly and device runs without issues.

May 10, 2022—KB5013942 (OS Builds 19042.1706, 19043.1706, and 19044.1706) (microsoft.com)

On my system after installing this update, logging in gives a black screen and after a while you get to see the desktop. But then things don’t appear to work properly e.g. right click the task bar to start task manager and nothing happens.

You can start control panel and uninstall the update. After doing that things appeared to return to normal.

I have this exact problem. The problem would present itself even in safe mode (which I had to do the 3 force shutdowns to trigger).

I had to uninstall the qualitative update (which would be this KB5013942) via the recovery menu.

Once done, I finally got control of windows and saw the following errors in the event logs:

DCOM got error “1084” attempting to start the service DispBrokerDesktopSvc with arguments “Unavailable” in order to run the server:
      DispBrokerDesktop.GlobalBrokerInstance

DCOM got error “1068” attempting to start the service netprofm with arguments “Unavailable” in order to run the server:
      {A47979D2-C419-11D9-A5B4-001185AD2B89}

DCOM got error “1084” attempting to start the service RmSvc with arguments “Unavailable” in order to run the server:
      {581333F6-28DB-41BE-BC7A-FF201F12F3F6}

OK, first thanks to all who replied above. Yesterday I had some more time so just in the interest of finding out what would happen I did a repair install and let widows apply whatever updates it wanted. After it had completed the issues reappeared. The task bar is hung and starting some but not all items will appear to fail. However, after a period everything that was started will all suddenly appear. but is seems that it is not very consistent.

One example is the if I click on the pinned task bar item to start PowerShell V5 sometimes it will not happen like above, other times the window will appear, but the prompt will not until whatever is stopping it “times out?” Click on the PowerShell V7 icon the window pops up along with the prompt. MS Edge always starts Outlook and Word take some time but get there.  One interesting thing is that you can start Resource Manager from Task Managers Performance tab. When you do this Resource manager pops up its window but the main sections at the top of each tab contained no information again until this mythical timeout occurs.

It should be noted that the .NET patches were NOT installed when the repair upgrade had completed. These were installed by me a little later but made no difference to the way things were. DISM, SFC /scannow etc found no errors and there were no obvious events in the event log suffice the DCOM issues (registering timeout) as before.

I have taken a backup of the set up and whilst I am back on a working system with updates delayed until June, I can restore the “problem” setup in about 20 minutes if anyone has a known working resolution.

Are you using any third party menu software?  What non MS software that would interact with the file explorer?  During this time what is going on in Task manager?  Any app hogging resources?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Are you using any third party menu software?  What non MS software that would interact with the file explorer?  During this time what is going on in Task manager?  Any app hogging resources?

Hi Susan, No 100% windows no 3rd party menu at all. Task manager shows the CPU at 1 or 2% no program sitting at the top hogging CPU or disk. If I start Outlook I do see “Outlook not responding” but as I said after a while it all carries on. Not seen that message for anything else though.

I could let you have a list of installed software and versions if it would help.

Well, tried many ways to resolve this issue to get the May Cumulative update installed but none have resulted in success. So, if anyone has a bright idea (I know I could do a 100% clean install but that takes me a week to get back to square one) I am more than willing to try.

KB5013942 breaks Sysprep.

Need to uninstall before making a golden image…

Please provide details / references before making these claims.

cheers, Paul

Update kb5013942 : My taskbar is 95% hidden en locked. Visible on 2nd screen but locked and no icons. Settings partly not working either. After uninstalling in safemode everything is fine. Taskbar is ok in Safe mode. 3 times in a row. 🙁 in Windows 10 Pro 21H2 Intel i7-920

Viewing 9 reply threads
    Reply To: May 10 2022 Cumulative update KB5013942 – causes issues

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.