News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• May 11 Updates only offer MSRT (kb890830)

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 20H2 – October 2020 Update May 11 Updates only offer MSRT (kb890830)

• This topic has 16 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        EricB
        AskWoody Plus

Well, after following the guidance in AKB2000016 and using group policy (as shown at https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/ms-defcon-4-patching-is-approved/#post-2361648) on Win 10 Pro 20H2 I anxiously awaited May’s Patch Tuesday to see if Windows Update would respond as expected.

Prior checks by WU indicated that the system was up-to-date.  This morning WU checked for updates itself and only offered the MSRT.

Should I download and install the MSRT or wait for WU to run again?

PKCano
        Manager

Run winver – what is your Build number?
        What are your Group Policy settings – all of the ones concerning Windows Update/Windows Update for Business? Unable to give advice without knowing your settings.

UPDATE:
        Ah, I see now. Your Quality Updates are set to deferral of 1 – that means you will wait 1 day after updates are released before being offered the updates. Set it to 0 and they should show up (may have to reboot to get GP settings to update).
        Or just leave it like that and wait (?)

1 user thanked author for this post.
          EricB
          AskWoody Plus

I wasn’t surprised that WU did not offer updates yesterday due to the Quality Update deferral of 1.  But I expected updates to show up today and was surprised when KB5003173 was not offered along with the MSRT.

I’m going to change the Quality Update deferral to 0 and restart the system.

Update:

Change made and system restarted.  Windows Update has not run again yet so no change in offered updates.  I’ll update again after the next time that WU checks for updates.

PKCano
            Manager

MS releases updates at 10:00am PDT US on the second Tuesday – it hasn’t been 1 day yet.

EricB
              AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the detail time info about MS update releases.

WU offering the MSRT without KB5003173 muddied the waters.

EricB
        AskWoody Plus

WU checked for updates again when I started my system today and offered both the MSRT and the May CU.  Now I will hide them with wushowhide and wait for WU to run again on its own to see if they are no longer offered.

I plan to  change the group policy deferral for Preview Builds and Feature Updates from 1 to 0 so that it is in sync with the setting for Quality Updates.

EricB
        AskWoody Plus

WU checked for updates and reported as up-to-date, nothing offered. So far, so good.

Now I ran wushowhide to unhide the MSRT.  As I expected, nothing was offered by WU after the system was restarted.

Even though I have used group policy to set Configure Automatic Updates to “2” (Notify for download and auto install) I assume I should wait for WU to check again on its own rather than click the “Check for updates” button.

PKCano
          Manager

I assume I should wait for WU to check again on its own rather than click the “Check for updates” button.

That is correct!

LHiggins
            AskWoody Plus

I’ve asked this question a few times in various forums, and it seems I need to ask again. I am now on Win 10 Pro 20H2 OS Build 19042-928. I check WUSHOWHIDE every day and on Tuesday, 5/11 – it showed both MSRT v 5.89 – KB890830 and KB5003173. I hid KB5003173, and left MSRT as I figured it would show in WU at the next check, and I could download it.

It has been 3 days now – and my laptop has checked for updates each day – yet MSRT doesn’t ever appear in WU. I believe I have all of the settings correct – so I am again finding that I need to ask why the update doesn’t appear in WU even after it has checked for updates and says it found none. It says I am up to date.

Does MSRT need to appear with a KB – shouldn’t it show on the download list by itself?

Just wondering if I should do anything or just wait till I unhide KB 5003173 at some later point and see if both that and MSRT are available?

Thanks1

Paul T
              AskWoody MVP

MSRT shows up whenever it’s released on my systems, but it’s really an optional update and can be ignored / left until the next release – assuming you have up to date AV and take care out there.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
                LHiggins
                AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul! I’ll wait – but the question remains – if MSRT is on the wushowhide list as unhidden AND my computer has checked at least 4 times since it first appeared there – and it never appears in WU to download – why?? Just seems that it should be ready to download and install as soon as wushowhide can see it – but it never does. I’ll see if it checks again later today and if it is there then.

You are right – I do have a good AV so I’m not that concerned, and often wish I had skipped it since it takes a while to run – just puzzled at the continued weird behavior of WU even after my upgrade to 20H2.

Thanks again!

EricB
        AskWoody Plus

WU checked for updates this morning and offered the MSRT as expected.

LHiggins
          AskWoody Plus

WU finally checked and allowed me to install MSRT fo May. It was on wushowhide since May 11 – 7 days later I could get it. Guess I need to check to see if there is a pause set somewhere for those updates – though I doubt it. Will check, but it finally did work.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

..but the question remains – if MSRT is on the wushowhide list as unhidden..

From my experience wushowhide is unreliable and hidden update are in fact unhidden and unhidden .
        update are hidden.
        I switched to WUmgr which also run check for updates and installs selected updates directly from the app.

Coldheart9020
          AskWoody Lounger

I find that the only updates that can be seen in Windows Update that do not show up in wushowhide, are the separate optional feature ‘Preview’ updates. I suppose it’s because they are separate, they aren’t in the queue to download when clicking ‘Download’.

EricB
        AskWoody Plus

..but the question remains – if MSRT is on the wushowhide list as unhidden..

From my experience wushowhide is unreliable and hidden update are in fact unhidden and unhidden .
        update are hidden.
        I switched to WUmgr which also run check for updates and installs selected updates directly from the app.

Sounds like a compare/contrast between wushowhide and WUmgr might be a good candidate for its own topic/discussion.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Sounds like a compare/contrast between wushowhide and WUmgr might be a good candidate for its own topic/discussion

Except for the show/hide feature wushowhide and WUmgr (or WUmt) have nothing in common.

Guide to Using WuMgr for Windows 10 Updates

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: May 11 Updates only offer MSRT (kb890830)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.