News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MBAE – disappearing systray icon

Posted on Charlie Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tools MBAE – disappearing systray icon

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit’s Systray icon has a bad habit of disappearing.  The program itself is running according to the Task Manager – Processes.  While this is not a new problem, (I searched Google first looking for some help and found this question asked a lot over the past five years) there doesn’t seem to be a good solution as far as I can see.

Does anyone have information about this?  The systray icon is the only way you can access the MBAE program.  This is on my Win 7 machine.  Thanks.

Win 7 Still Alive, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Linux Mint 19.1

• #2172702 Reply
        Microfix
        Da Boss

I tried the MBAE beta for a while on Windows 7 x64 for a few months a couple of years ago but haven’t revisited due to (at the time) resources/memory hogging issues I had. Can’t recall if the taskbar icon disapeared though. Might be an idea to check out the Malwarebytes forum to see if anyone else is encountering the same issue and whether there is a work-around.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/126-anti-exploit-beta/

Win7 Pro x86/x64 | Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 |
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2172728 Reply
          Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, but I’ve already been there and didn’t find any answers.  Which is weird because that’s the first logical place I would think to go for help.  As I said, the question was asked many times, but nothing short of rebooting multiple times was suggested.

• #2172720 Reply
        anonymous

Hi Charlie, this might be obvious or it might be long forgotten.

Do you have notification area icons set to display all, always?
        Is there a small triangle next to the notification area that you can click to display additional, hidden icons?

• #2172749 Reply
          Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

I have some systray icons set to appear all the time and others not to appear (or hidden).  Yes, when I click on the up pointing arrows I get a box with the hidden icons.  The MBAE icon was in there.  I tried the customize to make the icon always appear and it says “this application icon is not currently active”.  Still a mystery, but I get the impression the icon may return, but I’m not sure of that.

• #2172809 Reply
        anonymous

Hi again Charlie, that message

“this application icon is not currently active”.

showed me I did not quite understand, so I did a little reading.

But first, on the Win7 OS side, in that customize window, below the scroll pane, is a box to override all settings above with a global ALWAYS. When ticked, all other settings are greyed to draw attention to it. This may be an inconvenience to you. But might be a temporary observation condition to keep a better watch on when the status changes.

After my reading, I learned that Anti-Exploit was rolled into the main product a few years ago. This was what I misunderstood. And rereading your post suggests you are still using the stand alone AE. So I admit lack of familiarity, and am reduced to guessing.

The stand alone AE is called ‘perpetual beta release’. This could mean that as MS changes things — as they do from time to time — maybe AE no longer communicates correctly with the systray an accurate current status. This is guessed because you simultaneously see the icon in the hidden corral yet read the message that it is not active.

Are you also using the current MBAM 4.0? The stand alone MBAE may be redundant. I should leave any other solution to anyone who uses MBAM regularly…

• #2172904 Reply
        Pierre77
        AskWoody Plus

My 2 cents worth.

If you have MBAM Premium installed you do not need MBAE. If you run MBAM Free you do need MBAE. MBAE is incorporated in MBAM Premium.

However when Malwarebytes release a new version as they just did from 4.0.4.xxx to 4.1.0.56 this will uninstall MBAE on the Free version. It will have to be installed again – MBAE is available on their website.

Hope this makes sense.

• #2173272 Reply
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, product version 1.0.1.922 which I run manually.  As you can probably tell, it hasn’t been updated in quite a while.  I like the old version.

I turn my computer off after I’m done using it, and back on again the next day.  One would hope this would help correct any icon problems, but it doesn’t.  I have MBAE set to self update and also to display notifications. I’m hoping maybe one of these will bring back the icon.

Task Manager Processes still shows the MBAE program running as does the Notification Area Customization screen.  So the program appears to be running, just no icon.

• #2173299 Reply
          Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

Sorry but must correct that MBAM Free version to 2.1.4.1018.  It’s not the oldest and not the newest.  It still gets new signature updates.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MBAE – disappearing systray icon

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.