News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MCT 1809 installation error Win10 Enterprise

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1809 – September 2018 Update MCT 1809 installation error Win10 Enterprise

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello. We use Windows 10 Enterprise, build 1809 (which has extended support until 11.5.2021).

I want to upgrade one machine from 1703 to 1809 and it crashes on 90% or smth like that. Error says: sorry, we were unable to install Windows 10.

I use Media Creation tool flash disk, I run this from Windows itself as administrator. It worked on approx 40 computers before, but this is big issue for me.

In windows logs, i see this cause of failing:

“Service WinRM cant transfer module for listening with IP address * and HTTP transfer. Module for listening with same configuration address already exists.”

• sorry, maybe my translation is not so good, hope you get my point

Should I stop some service, or what do you recommend to try?

Thank a lot, Doriel.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, WX 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by doriel.
        • This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by PKCano.
        Attachments:
      • #2012905 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

My guess is that you have a duplicate IP address or other network error, although I can’t see why it would want to transfer anything as the install is from the flash drive.

cheers, Paul

• #2014017 Reply
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

On other PCs in domain upgrade went smooth without any problems. It has to be something specific to this computer. I checked AD for IP duplicates, but there arent any. I wonder if it is possible to empty “WinRM” list somehow and try again.

• #2014517 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

As it’s an AD machine.
        Check for duplicate machines in AD.
        Try resetting the machine password, then upgrading.

cheers, Paul

• #2039589 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

you should NOT be using the media creation tool for getting the Win10 Enterprise edition anyway, doriel

the MCT tool normally gets “consumer” editions of Win10 like Home & Pro.

since Enterprise is a “business” edition (and I hope you do have a valid volume license for using Enterprise) get the Win10 v1809 V2 business edition ESD file here (which includes Enterprise along with Pro & Education editions), the use either an esd decrypt-multi-release tool or esd decrypter wimlib batch script tool to convert an ESD file into an ISO and use either Rufus or other usb tool to write the ISO image onto a usb flash drive

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2261358 Reply
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Hello and thank you for your advice.
          I today finally found out, why my updates crashed during installation. Our AV Sophos blocked the process. When I removed Sophos and activated Windows defender from W10 Enterprise, installation went well on all affected computers.

I am little bit concerned about that information, that I should NOT be using MCT to update W10 Enterprise.
          Of course, we have licensing volume (licensing server). Enterprise keys are the same for all computers in the world, just licensing server varies.
          First of all I licensed Win 10 PRO and then upgraded license to Enterprise for every computer – thats the correct way according to MS.
          Then I downloaded All-In-One version of W10 1809 and made a USB stick from it – it should have all versions included.

• #2261364 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

It probably depends on how you obtain Windows. As you bought it on the PC and then changed the license there shouldn’t be an issue – I’ve not tested this as I use the enterprise downloads and create an image for building new / rebuilding existing PCs.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MCT 1809 installation error Win10 Enterprise

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.