News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MCT conundrum

Posted on bbearren Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Highsierra46 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I used the MCT to prepare a USB thumb drive to use for upgrading the “B” side of my dual boot, then started.

After launching setup there was quite a bit of “preparing”, then I got a popup telling me that my PC wasn’t ready because I had a USB device plugged in.  The further info link said that USB drive letters might change, an issue that had been corrected in one of the Insider builds, but was still being worked on the release build.  Interesting.

I copied the contents of the USB drive to a folder on C:, then re-launched setup from there after removing my USB drive.  I elected NOT to have updates, drivers and feature updates searched for and installed.  It proceeded uneventfully from that point, taking about half an hour.  It boots and runs fine.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1736493 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

I assume the MCT was 1903?

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #1736529 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Plus

I did a clean install of 1903 on a laptop using a usb stick with the media creation tool. The trick is to boot to the usb stick, begin the install process and when the pc does the first reboot, pull the usb stick out of pc and the install will complete without any warnings.

Windows 10 only needs the installation media during initial setup. When the first reboot occurs all the files needed are on the computer and the install media is no longer needed. This is different from previous versions of windows in which the install media needed to remain attached to the pc until install completes.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1736772 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

Sounds like the procedure of some old linux distros, where removal of the usb installation device was required prior to reboot then the installation would continue. Thereagain, microsoft loves linux 🙂

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1736639 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I assume the MCT was 1903?

Yes, hence my post in this forum.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #1736652 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I did a clean install of 1903 on a laptop using a usb stick with the media creation tool. The trick is to boot to the usb stick, begin the install process and when the pc does the first reboot, pull the usb stick out of pc and the install will complete without any warnings.

Windows 10 only needs the installation media during initial setup. When the first reboot occurs all the files needed are on the computer and the install media is no longer needed. This is different from previous versions of windows in which the install media needed to remain attached to the pc until install completes.

I don’t do clean installs except on newly purposed bare metal, such as when I built my NAS, I did a clean install on it.

In all other cases I use in-place/upgrade.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1736854 Reply

Mr. Natural
        AskWoody Plus

I did an upgrade install on my personal laptop by downloading and running the media creation tool directly from the download site instead of creating a bootable usb stick.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #1737325 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

I used the MCT to prepare a USB thumb drive to use for upgrading the “B” side of my dual boot, then started.

After launching setup there was quite a bit of “preparing”, then I got a popup telling me that my PC wasn’t ready because I had a USB device plugged in.  The further info link said that USB drive letters might change, an issue that had been corrected in one of the Insider builds, but was still being worked on the release build.  Interesting.

I copied the contents of the USB drive to a folder on C:, then re-launched setup from there after removing my USB drive.  I elected NOT to have updates, drivers and feature updates searched for and installed.  It proceeded uneventfully from that point, taking about half an hour.  It boots and runs fine.

the issue with “This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10” error on a computer that has a USB device or SD card attached seems to be fixed with the KB4497935 update for 1903 (build 18362.145), which was recently released to Insiders 5/24.

I think I’ll wait until there are updated 1903 ESDs/ISOs that contain that specific fix.

currently the 1903 MCT tool downloads and create 1903 ISOs with build 18362.30 (not what I want)

• #1742314 Reply

RockE
      AskWoody Plus

Luckily enough for me, I only have old clunkers with lots of memory and multiple hard drives and I have a DVD drive in almost every computer I own. And, since I have gotten into the habit of using the MCT to initially download an ISO file, I can elect to burn a DVD or to create an installation flash drive from it.
      That said, it remains to be seen whether having this half-baked version 1903 is worthwhile, yet.
      It seems to be running well on my computers, so far.

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
      - - - - -
      Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #1755616 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve just used the same method on a Lenovo 121e running Win 10 v1511. Its owner hadn’t used it for years and wanted it updated to the latest version, i.e. v1903.

Normally I would have clean-installed 1903… but it has MS Office 2010 installed and there’s no method for uninstalling and decrementing the Office 2010 installation count (that I’m aware of).

As a result I had to copy the contents of the MCT-created USB key to the device and run setup.exe locally to carry out an inplace upgrade.

A tad slow but this worked perfectly and I was then able to delete the 1903 installation files/folders.

The *only* issue I’ve found so far is that the display of desktop shortcuts reverted to default positions instead of the owner’s carefully positioned choice… but she can re-jiggle that at her leisure. (I also took the opportunity to use Geek Uninstaller to get rid of more crapware.)

Whilst I was initially very critical of Win 10, I now have to admit that it’s – finally – becoming better and better with each iteration… (after it’s tweaked beyond all recognition. 🙂 )

• #1763855 Reply

RockE
        AskWoody Plus

Rick Corbett said, “The *only* issue I’ve found so far is that the display of desktop shortcuts reverted to default positions instead of the owner’s carefully positioned choice… but she can re-jiggle that at her leisure.”
        In a case like that (if I think of it ahead of time) I use a program called “DesktopOK” which can save the placement information of desktop icons. It is available in both x86 and x64 flavors. You can leave it intact (for your client) or remove it after use. So, after you murder her desktop icons you can put them back just like she had them.

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
        - - - - -
        Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #1762024 Reply

Barry
      AskWoody Plus

When i do a feature update i always first do a in place upgrade I give it a couple of days to settle down then use the fresh start option in Windows security under the device performance section and download a nice clean installation.

I hardly ever see anyone mention the Fresh start option but i love it. it installs a clean copy of windows 10 leaves your data but uninstalls all third party software including office. It would be a great way to get rid of all the c** ware that most new Computers come with.

After that you just reinstall any software or drivers you might need. You will be amazed at how much better you computer will run after getting rid of 6 or 7 months of junk it accumulates.

Barry (Seeker)
      Windows 10 Home V 1903

• #1762162 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Just a bit of a bother to reinstall everything and then fix all the weird things the installers do in addition to what they should… like with file associations and such.

Here I thought 6-7 months was about the time for a new system to sort of stabilize.

• #1762291 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Just a bit of a bother to reinstall everything and then fix all the weird things the installers do in addition to what they should… like with file associations and such.

Here I thought 6-7 months was about the time for a new system to sort of stabilize.

The “stabilization” will only occur if the computer is never attached to the Internet, will always be changing.  I also use Linux Mint 19.1 and am not fed updates, can leave it ‘as-is’ for a long time, has LTS/Long Term Service of over 3 years.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #1785571 Reply

Highsierra46
      AskWoody Plus

Same happened to me.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MCT conundrum

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.