News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • ME Update Tool

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 month ago.

• Author

mixer
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi:

I have an Asus motherboard and one of the drivers/tools that can be downloaded is called the “MeUpdate Tool”.

Any idea just what this is updating ?

Is it updating software, as in the Intel Management Engine” or does this update tool somehow flash the Bios on the MB ?

And if it’s updating the Intel Management Engine or the Bios, wouldn’t just the latest version for either suffice ?

This whole Intel vulnerability has got me really confused.

Example of the download description:

Version 11.12.0.1622

2020/01/08

5.21 MBytes
      MEUpdateTool
      Intel has identified security issue that could potentially place impacted platform at risk.
      Use ME Update tool to update your ME.
      We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 11.12.0.1622 simultaneously.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  mixer.
    • #2110173 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Intel Management Engine, allows system administrators to perform tasks on the machine remotely.
      It’s really only a problem if someone on your local network attacks you, but I’d patch anyway.

Backup first, of course.

cheers, Paul

• #2110176 Reply

anonymous

Any idea just what this is updating ?

Has Intel has disclosed the vulnerability?, it may be too early as people need the time to update.

And if it’s updating the Intel Management Engine or the Bios, wouldn’t just the latest version for either suffice ?

Intel and other manufacturers released the Management Engine firmware update tool for their boards & systems as it is possible to update the ME without releasing a whole new motherboard BIOS update.

Is it updating software, as in the Intel Management Engine…

Yes, only the Intel Management Engine firmware. The Windows driver provides facilities to interface with the Intel Management Engine, you may have also to update that driver.

• #2110325 Reply

anonymous

Here is a link to Intel’s advisory notice, you should check if Asus requires a BIOS update before patching the Intel Management Engine.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: ME Update Tool

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.