News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Media Center guide updates to end soon

Posted on cellsee6 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Media Center guide updates to end soon

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cybertooth 4 weeks ago.

• Author

cellsee6
      AskWoody Plus

Running Windows 7 Pro on an HP z210 .  Using a Hauppauge WinTV 1850 tuner card.

Recently when updating the Media center program guide,  a box appeared on my screen stating program updates to Media center would end in January 2020. I’m not sure what service is updating my guide; I just accepted the default for my zip code when I installed Media center many months ago.

My understanding is Windows 10 does not have anything like Media center.  I really like Media center guide because, when there is a recording conflict, it finds another time when the conflicting program can be recorded.

Questions:
      Q1.)  When program guide updates end, how do you find a good alternative source?
      Q2.)  If you have changed to a Media center substitute program, which one did you choose and why do you like it?

• #2006569 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

@cellsee6 please respect the posting rules:

9. Cross forum posts (the same question on more than one site) must be marked as such

You failed to note the cross-posting of this question:
      https://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/421577-media-center-guide-updates-apparently-will-end-january-2020-a.html

• #2006578 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Plus

The Green Button has all the information that Windows Media Center fans could hope for.

The recommended combo for replacing the WMC program guide is Schedules Direct for the listings plus the EPG123 application to download and manage them. The developer of EPG123 is on TGB regularly and he answers questions quickly; his website is http://epg123.garyan2.net/.

SD does charge $25/year but IMO it is well worth it; we started using it a couple of years ago and they are more reliable and accurate than Rovi, the listings service that Microsoft uses.

Oh, and EPG123 provides program info significantly further out into the future than Rovi; we normally get 17-22 days while typically we would get 10-12 days of listings from Rovi.

I know little about alternatives to WMC, so I’m afraid I can’t help there. For people like us who watch cable TV it’s pretty much the only game in town right now for computer-based viewing. SiliconDust (one brand of TV tuner for PCs) was working on their own software that could be used to watch cable, but last time I checked they were “between” versions and the old one was no longer being offered.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Media Center guide updates to end soon

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.