Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Metered network changed to unmetered after upgrade to 1803

Posted on DLivesInTexas Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1803 – April 2018 Update Metered network changed to unmetered after upgrade to 1803

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cybertooth 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

DLivesInTexas
      AskWoody Lounger

I was running 1709 for many months with the ethernet network connection set to metered.

I manually updated from 1709 to 1803 on September 5.

Last night, September 12, the system – quite unexpectedly – automatically downloaded and installed the cumulative update for 1803.  After noticing the unscheduled reboot this morning, I was surprised to see that the network connection was no longer metered.

I suspect that the unexpected change was made during the 1803 upgrade since no updates had been applied to the system since September 5.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  DLivesInTexas.
    • #217320 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Yes, I had the same  issue with my laptop, although I’m not sure what update caused the issue and it was a while ago.

cheers, Paul

• #217353 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Lounger

The bottom line is that, if you are using Windows 10, every time you install a new version you need to re-check every single setting that you had changed from the default values, as you can’t know ahead of time which of them Microsoft will respect and which ones they will change back to their preference.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Metered network changed to unmetered after upgrade to 1803

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.