News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Microphones don’t work

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » PC hardware » Microphones don’t work

Author
    Topic

I’ve been suddenly having trouble using two USB microphones on my desktop computer . One is a Logitech headset with a swing arm mic, the other is a Yeti Blue. Could be a coincidence but problem started around the time I installed the November Windows patches. Both devices work fine on my laptop. My desktop is Win 10.01.190444; motherboard is an ASUS MSA97 R2.0. 8 GB of RAM. I’ve got the Logitech plugged in now. Audio works. Have gone into the Sound settings in Control Manager. There’s a section for “Test your microphone” but nothing happens when I talk. Pressing the “Manage sound devices” button only has Windows test the audio. Nor can I record in Audacity (v 3.1.2). I get “Error opening recording device” with both the heads and the Yeti. HOWEVER, I can use Audacity on my laptop for recording, which is an earlier version (3.0.2 if I recall correctly)

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

Have you tried going to the manufacturers website and looking for a driver?

"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. And I say let us give them all they want" ----- William T. Sherman

Perhaps use Nir Sofer’s small, free, portable USBDeview to check what’s happening, i.e. that the USB devices are both recognised and correctly identified. (Start USBDeview by right-clicking on the executable file and using Run as administrator.)

If the microphones aren’t both recognised and correctly identified then you can use USBDeview to uninstall the devices (from the File menu – this removes their registry entries) then plug them back in for them to be re-recognised/identified.

Hope this helps…

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Microphones don’t work

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.