News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft 365 Life – your opportunity to rent an Office 365 superset

Home Forums AskWoody blog Microsoft 365 Life – your opportunity to rent an Office 365 superset

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Susan Bradley 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I’m reading a lot of … speculation … about the newly announced (but not yet seen) Microsoft 365 Life. Whadda name. Mary Jo Foley has a balanced an
      [See the full post at: Microsoft 365 Life – your opportunity to rent an Office 365 superset]

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2015095 Reply

lurks about
      AskWoody Lounger

My issue with an Office home subscription is for many they do not use any office software enough to justify the expense of the subscription. Most could use just about any office software for the amount they use.

• #2015204 Reply

warrenrumak
        AskWoody Plus

For the $6/month it costs, you also get 1TB of storage space, which is awfully useful if you take a lot of pictures with your phone, or have files that you want to keep available on both your phone and PC.

OneDrive has its own Recycle Bin, too, so if you mess up and delete something, you can get it back.  It even emails you if you delete a lot of files to double-check that you meant to do that.

I dunno, after a certain point this seems to be worth it.  You can’t even get a safety deposit box for that little.

• #2015117 Reply

Average-Jane
      AskWoody Plus

I’m unfamiliar with the expression ‘all wet’ and can’t figure it out from context.  Can anyone help an average Jane out?

• #2015119 Reply

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

“All wet” in this context means pure guess work, no basis in fact/reality.

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2015141 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Right….

From the linked ZDNet article,

Jha also said that Microsoft is seeing customers who buy into its M365 vision are generating higher revenue per user and experiencing less churn than customers who don’t.

… which I understand to mean that they can be made to pay more, because ending their subscription would mean a lot more work in getting their life back from Microsoft.

My issue with an Office home subscription is for many they do not use any office software enough to justify the expense of the subscription. Most could use just about any office software for the amount they use.

Well, that and also the overly restrictive licensing terms on Office 365 Home and Personal regarding nonprofits such as hobby organizations. At least when considered with the local laws over here.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2015159 Reply

cptomes
      AskWoody Plus

right, and 1903 apparently shoved the office365 click to run back on a customer’s machine.  who then signed into office365microsoftonline and proceeded to blow up their retail license office 2019 install, as well as hork up the user profile.

yeah, this is a terrible idea.  every month that goes by there are more “this is a good reason to buy a used mac” moments.

Hey look! Another Feature Update!

You mean I shouldn't click Check for Updates?

Why does it keep saying "Something Happened"?

• #2015187 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

right, and 1903 apparently shoved the office365 click to run back on a customer’s machine. who then signed into office365microsoftonline and proceeded to blow up their retail license office 2019 install, as well as hork up the user profile.

This might be better discussed on its own…?

Being a major disruption for that user, as well as not being exactly on topic about a future product possibly called “Microsoft 365 Life”

• #2015203 Reply

cptomes
          AskWoody Plus

well, office365 at this time is at best an equivalent product to retail office2019, with the added “advantage” of recurring billing, and the random “your data isn’t available right now” when office365 goes down for whatever reason.  so a product named “microsoft 365 life” carries with it all the flaws, failures, and random unavailability of all the current products.

just what a person needs in this day and age.  let’s not forget that the initial ~2 day release of 1809 had the hidden feature of deleting all the files in onedrive accounts.  we were actually on the phone with a m$ tier 2 service agent working a “feature update blew up windows” machine when I heard on the speakerphone “under no circumstances are you to install 1809 on customer machines”.

takes a loooooong time for those of us who have been around since nt 4.0  (and before) to recover trust in m$ after shenanigans like that.

• #2015250 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

As the patching person, I’d love to see log files and the thread on this.  As 1903 can do a lot of things but reinstalling an uninstalled version of Office is not one of them.  Chances are they didn’t fully uninstall the old software like they should have?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #2015211 Reply

warrenrumak
      AskWoody Plus

well, office365 at this time is at best an equivalent product to retail office2019, with the added “advantage” of recurring billing, and the random “your data isn’t available right now” when office365 goes down for whatever reason.  so a product named “microsoft 365 life” carries with it all the flaws, failures, and random unavailability of all the current products.

just what a person needs in this day and age.  let’s not forget that the initial ~2 day release of 1809 had the hidden feature of deleting all the files in onedrive accounts.  we were actually on the phone with a m$ tier 2 service agent working a “feature update blew up windows” machine when I heard on the speakerphone “under no circumstances are you to install 1809 on customer machines”.

takes a loooooong time for those of us who have been around since nt 4.0  (and before) to recover trust in m$ after shenanigans like that.

Huh?  No, Windows 10 1809 didn’t delete files in OneDrive accounts.  It deleted files in folders under your profile root, e.g., C:\Users\Warren\Documents, if you had previously configured Windows to redirect your default Documents to another directory…. but had still kept files in the original folder.  If you had configured your OneDrive folders to overlap with your local profile folders, while also configuring Windows to say that your local folders are actually elsewhere, sure…. but that’s a seriously weird configuration.

There was no other circumstance under which files were deleted.

And even if you did delete all the files off your OneDrive by accident, you can get them all back using “Restore your OneDrive”.  You can either pull individual deleted items out of Recycle Bin, or roll back your whole OneDrive to any point in the last 30 days.

And no, Office 365 isn’t equivalent to Office 2019. The O365 feature list is quite a lot longer, including being licensed for both the Mac and Windows versions, real-time editing of a single document from multiple machines, 1TB of cloud storage, and being able to use web versions of Office programs from a browser.

Office 365 also has the new Outlook GUI which gets rid of most of the annoying ribbon stuff.  Office 2019 isn’t getting that.

Look, there’s plenty of valid and truthful things to get upset at Microsoft about.  But don’t just make things up.  It isn’t necessary.

• #2015238 Reply

cptomes
        AskWoody Plus

I stand by the basic assertion that m$ feature updates are at best buggy and in several instances in the last 2 years guaranteed to cause pain, up to and including deleting user data.

as for “features” in Office365 that aren’t in Office2019, NONE of my customers use those.   not a single one.  they use excel, word, and a few use Outlook.  fewer still use powerpoint.  other people can jump up and down about wonderful feature sets and new whiz bang tools but paying by the month for the privilege of not using the new features, while randomly not working because microsoft, shifts my customer decision tree towards the retail permanent license version.  many of these customers don’t have and don’t want a “microsoft account” at all, and we end up creating one and documenting it just to properly register office2019.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft 365 Life – your opportunity to rent an Office 365 superset

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.