News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft account ?

Posted on cmptrgy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Microsoft account ?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

Recently I serviced a troubled Windows 10 Home desktop indicating the user had a Microsoft account when addressing an incorrect password.
        — When the user eventually found the correct password I was able to move on.

I’m used to seeing ***@outlook.com like mine is.
        I’ve read that xbox & skype means the user has a Microsoft account: I haven’t worked with either one yet but if/when I do, I’ll at least know that.
        — Are there other Microsoft accounts associations?
        — I don’t need a full list: just enough to know that there other Microsoft accounts associations.

Moving on, I don’t understand how the user had a Microsoft account.
        He had an Administrator account with his name associated with http://www.net1plus.com.
        He didn’t know he had a Microsoft account, all he knew is that he’s been using http://www.net1plus.com since 2016 when he bought the PC new.
        — Is it possible it is a Microsoft account?

He does have Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016.
        — It listed in the Microsoft Store and is recognized as “paid with a redeemed code”.
        — He told me he uses Outlook email sometime.
        — I suspect that’s a possibility of being associated as having a Microsoft account?

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

• #2298404 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

You can use any email address to create a Microsoft account.

You do get a free @outlook.com address to go with it but you aren’t forced to use that.

You get a single Microsoft account password that can be used with any of the registered “identifications” for that account, so yeah, you can also add a phone number and use that with the same password too.

This can get confusing if you end up with multiple MS accounts. Private and work 365 is bad enough already, and if you also go to evening classes somewhere that gives a 365 Education account to students…

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2298412 Reply
        anonymous

The following [is] a list of computer programs and web services that support using Microsoft Account as the credentials required for the authentication process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_account#Integrated_with

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2298417 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

I didn’t mention it in my opening post but I’ve seen similar situations in which I didn’t understand why a Microsoft account was mentioned and that’s why I finally had to ask about it. Thank you.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft account ?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.