News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Microsoft acct mandatory to install Windows 11?

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » Microsoft acct mandatory to install Windows 11?

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Author
    Topic

Somewhere I got the impression that you must already have or create a Microsoft account to install Win 11. I have an account from when I first got Windows 10 but I haven’t used it since the first time I had the shop reinstall Win 10 without the MS account (about a week after I got Win 10). If it’s going to be mandatory, then I’m off to research Linux variations.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

See Can you install Windows 11 home without a MS account?

(“In a word YES.” to that question, but NO to yours.)

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1499 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

I didn’t specify home or Pro in my question. I have pro on both my computers.

With Pro Microsoft account isn’t mandatory.
          With upgrades to Windows 11 (home, pro) Microsoft account isn’t mandatory.
          Only clean installs on Home require Microsoft account.

1 user thanked author for this post.

If you have a local account on Windows 10 and do an upgrade to 11 it will not force you to make a Microsoft account.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.

OK, that’s good. Thank you. What if I have to upgrade my CPU or choose to get a new computer instead of the hardware upgrade? Will I then have to get an MS account?

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but… Received a new laptop form my kids for Christmas and the first time I booted it up it basically said something like checking for updates and started downloading Win 11. There was no obvious way to stop it so I thought “how bad can it be?”and let it continue. Mistake. Maybe I’m just too old to learn new things (70) but there doesn’t seem to be much about Win 11 that is intuitive. Everything seem to be hidden somewhere and none of it is on the desktop. Tried to “go back” and that wasn’t an option. I’m at day 6 of the 10 day limit. Not sure what I can do now except try to learn 11 like I eventually did with 10. Thanks for listening. That’s what I really needed anyway, was someone to cry to.

Kent

Tried to “go back” and that wasn’t an option

If the laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10 then there is an option to roll back to Windows 10.

If it came pre-installed with Windows 11 you can download Windows 10 and clean install.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Microsoft acct mandatory to install Windows 11?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.