News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft again remotely into my PC

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Microsoft again remotely into my PC

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

My 1909 Pro laptop is on 24/365 running some tasks.
        This morning as I revived the display I saw that the desktop has changed :
        Desktop.ini icon changed position like after a restart. Got a new OneDrive icon on the taskbar (TaskBar OneDrive setting has been set to ON).
        There were no OS updates and nothing should have been changed except for Microsoft meddling with taskbar settings, and maybe other changes, without my approval.

• #2208584 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Anything in the event logs?

cheers, Paul

• #2208595 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

Any entries in Reliability Monitor, to indicate any updates/installations?

• #2208628 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Any entries in Reliability Monitor, to indicate any updates/installations?

None.

I am now getting Microsoft’s propaganda for OneDrive.
        When I took the PrtSc of the attached picture, a windows jumped with Microsoft’s ad for saving the PrtSC to OneDrive . So now, every time I’ll take a printscreen I will get this ad ?

ODrv

ODrv-1

Attachments:
      • #2208630 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Anything in the event logs?

cheers, Paul

Just the usual stuff. Nothing special.

• #2208775 Reply
        access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

I used prtscr (first time for ages) and it showed that image. Clicked on the ‘No thanks’ and next time it worked as normal. Except I had to remember I had to ctrl-v in an app like Word to see the image. But then I use snip & sketch, which I find much better and I expect there’s other screen print apps people will say are better than that.

• #2208881 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

But then I use snip & sketch, which I find much better and I expect there’s other screen print apps people will say are better than that.

Thanks, but I don’t need “anything” better. PrtScr works for me for ages.

The question remains. Why did Microsoft put its fat fingers into my PC’s settings.

• #2208904 Reply
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

The question remains. Why did Microsoft put its fat fingers into my PC’s settings.

You agreed to Microsoft’s EULA by using their software.

By accepting this agreement or using the software, you agree to all of these terms, and consent to the transmission of certain information during activation and during your use of the software as per the privacy statement described in Section 3. If you do not accept and comply with these terms, you may not use the software or its features.

Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.”

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft again remotely into my PC

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel