News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Microsoft : Announcing the general availability of Windows 365

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Microsoft : Announcing the general availability of Windows 365

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/announcing-the-general-availability-of-windows-365/ba-p/2595481

Today I am thrilled to share the general availability of Windows 365 and the resources available to help you get started with this new cloud service!

Windows 365 introduces a new way to experience Windows 10 or Windows 11 (when it’s generally available later this calendar year) for all types of workers, from interns and contractors to software developers and industrial designers. Windows 365 takes the operating system to the Microsoft Cloud, securely streaming the full Windows experience—including all your apps, data, and settings—to your personal or corporate devices. This approach creates a fully new personal computing category, specifically for the hybrid world: the Cloud PC….

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Over on several SMB venues we’re still scratching our heads.  Yes, it’s a good temp solution but not sure long term.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

I have the same doubts. Google Stadia attempts to do the same thing for gaming that Windows 365 would for business/general computing. The games are run on virtual machines somewhere in a data center, and the client device only has to handle displaying the video output from the remote server and sending input to it.

It sounds neat in theory, being able to run demanding games on a basic smartphone or low-end laptop, but the fly in the ointment is latency. Some gamers are very sensitive to latency, with some using high refresh rate displays with fast response times (even at the expense of wide viewing angles; the super fast gaming monitors are often TN), with vsync off, to make sure that the data in the frame buffer is in front of their eyes as fast as possible. They go to great lengths to reduce the latency by less than 10ms.

When you’re talking about an internet connection, though, the latency can range from ~30 ms for an endpoint that is pretty near (as few hops as possible) to over 200 for connections to servers that are a few thousand miles away (or where congestion is present).

With business oriented PCs, the “lag” (the colloquial term for latency, more or less) would show in the visible response of the mouse pointer, scrolling, and similar things.

One thing’s notable about this, though– Windows now really is a cloud service.

Dell XPS 13/9310, i5-1135G7/16GB, KDE Neon
          Dell G3 15/3579, i7-8750H/16GB, KDE Neon
          Asus P8P67 Deluxe, i5-2500k/16GB, KDE Neon

Susan Bradley
        Manager

If you wanted to test it out….. it’s now full

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Microsoft : Announcing the general availability of Windows 365

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.