Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft audit

Posted on Mr. Natural Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge Microsoft audit

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mr. Natural 12 hours, 24 minutes ago.

• Author

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve been informed that once again we have been picked for another audit. This would be the third audit in 6 years or so. Before that we never had an audit in all my prior years. And we’ve passed all of them. I feel like they’re picking on our organization for some reason.

The last time we had one I do recall reading that Microsoft was stepping up audits for small business users. I’m curious if anyone else has seen increased activity with Microsoft in the past few years?

One more Microsoft thing to complain about.

• #209524 Reply

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

Yes there has been an uptick.  Ask for the justification and eula section that states they can do this.  Tell them you have been audited with no adjustment two prior times.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #209525 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

I used to do IT work at a school system. One day the IT director told me that Microsoft was demanding proof that all of their installed Microsoft software was legit (i.e. that they had licenses for it). The IT director asked them, “Which machines are you suspicious of?” They replied, No, you need to prove that all of your installs are legit. At that point, the IT director decided to implement Novell ZenWorks, which would provide continual up-to-date information on all installed software on all networked PCs.

Microsoft has a long history of bullying others. I’m not a bit surprised to hear this.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #209530 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

I am more and more sure that I will use something like Linux Mint and Libre Office in my company if I ever start my own business, to avoid all of the Microsoft bullying.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
    • #209529 Reply

WC
      AskWoody Lounger

Our company just had the third audit since 2012.  Except for the first one where we were non-compliant by a few licenses (due to lost / incomplete records), we’ve been clean ever since.  It certainly feels like MSFT has ramped up the frequency, as there was about 3 years between the 1st and 2nd audits, then about 1.5 years between 2nd and 3rd.  Admittedly, the 1st audit was helpful in getting all of the records in line and helped put in place a more stringent system to track these things.  By the 3rd audit however, it seemed like a big waste of time for everybody involved.  I know MSFT is allowed to do this as per the VL & EULA agreements, but it certainly smells like a “legal racket” to me…

• #209566 Reply

anonymous

2009-released Win 7 Ent: more audits.

2015-released Win 10 Ent: less or no audits?

M$ using audits to push companies onto Win 10?

• #209593 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Lounger

There admittedly may be a reason but we have explained it to them before. Many of you know this situation. We still have quite a few systems running Office 2013 open license version. As you know, even if you do a proper uninstall of MS Office on a pc, the license count stays the same on the open license. Microsoft does not remove the license count. We use an imaging program to build and rebuild older pc’s and laptops. On those systems that are using an E1 license we of course have to re-activate Office 2013 of the new install on re-used pc’s from the new image. So our license tally in our volume license site grows and has exceeded what we were licensed for. We are compliant, but because of re-imaging this is what we have since Microsoft does not remove a license even if it is uninstalled on the machine before wiping.

• #209785 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

In the case of Office 365, the license goes with the user, not with the computer. Also, you can go into your Admin portal and disassociate a PC from one of your users, freeing up an available install for that user (each user gets up to five installs).

Maybe something similar to this exists with Office 2013 (what you have).

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        • #210303 Reply

Mr. Natural
          AskWoody Lounger

Yes all of our Office 2013 users are assigned an E1 license. When someone leaves we remove the license, re-image the computer and re-assign the license to the new user. This is where the product key activation issue for Office 2013 arises.

Our users that need more features (for some reason I don’t like the word features anymore) and such are given an E3 which those folks are on Office365 version 2016.

We’re running a full AD network with Azure sync and all that fancy stuff. You aren’t going to get your systems fully functional in your environment if you aren’t legally licensed.

• This reply was modified 12 hours, 21 minutes ago by  Mr. Natural.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft audit

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.