News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft backtracks on Office search changes

Posted on joep517 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Microsoft backtracks on Office search changes

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  rc primak 6 days, 12 hours ago.

• Author

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

According to Mary Jo Foley, Microsoft has backed off its plans to change the search engine to Bing for its Office 365 Pro Plus customers. See for more
      [See the full post at: Microsoft backtracks on Office search changes]

--Joe

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2138417 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

At last! Some sanity returns…..

• #2138422 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

The only question is, how long it will last before MS tries something else like that.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2138548 Reply

Fred
        AskWoody Plus

Really?  Today February 11 2020, at around 12.00hrs (GMT+1) my browser search in Chrome and Firefox was Highjacked, some sites were cut off, my hosts-file date was changed to that moment.
        I didn’t have any updates, they were stopped for weeks, was using VPN,
        => so Woody’s backdoor (0Day) misuse is quite valid, I think

After all.. Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us.
        • #2138560 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

Nothing to do with Microsoft then.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2138564 Reply

jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

Sounds more like malware than anything else, or some very poorly-behaved browser extensions.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2139458 Reply

Fred
            AskWoody Plus

Sounds more like malware than anything else, or some very poorly-behaved browser extensions.

No [AT]Jabeattyauditor it wasn’t malware alltogether; there was a Cnet download involved, and Windows had taken over the searchengine plus the website-checking.
            So, I saved my logs to pass on, and went back two weeks in time by putting back an image
            Till now the February updates from yesterday seem to be okay

After all.. Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us.
            • This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Fred.
            • This reply was modified 1 week ago by  PKCano.
            • #2139779 Reply

jabeattyauditor
              AskWoody Lounger

Have you considered the possibility that what you downloaded from CNet was infected or contained search-engine-redirecting adware?

It’s not uncommon…

• #2139806 Reply

rc primak
              AskWoody_MVP

No doubt about it, CNet Downloads do stuff like this all by themselves. I use other download sites whenever possible because of the bad behavior of CNet Downloads.

-- rc primak

• #2138464 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

If you read the linked Microsoft article, Update to Microsoft Search in Bing through Office 365 ProPlus, you’ll find that Microsoft is not completely abandoning the idea but planning on putting more administrative controls in place.

--Joe

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2138468 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Mnnnnnfffft! Here’s what the (unsigned) Office 365 announcement says:

Based on your feedback, we are making a few changes to our plan:

• The Microsoft Search in Bing browser extension will not be automatically deployed with Office 365 ProPlus. 
        • Through a new toggle in Microsoft 365 admin center, administrators will be able to opt in to deploy the browser extension to their organization through Office 365 ProPlus. 

Incredibly, spectacularly tone-deaf.

• #2138496 Reply

joep517
          AskWoody MVP

I think it depends on the implementation of the new controls. For an organization that is used to dealing with large organizations where a controlled rollout (i.e Windows 10 feature releases) is the usual method, you’d expect Microsoft to implement a finer grained control. They have been very ham handed in this so far though.

I really don’t have a problem for an Ofice 365 organization to decide to use this extension. From what I’ve read it could be useful for finding internal information/documents/people. But, controls should be at least down to departments/AD organization units if not to individual users.

--Joe

• #2138499 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

Incredibly, spectacularly tone-deaf.

Microsoft reversed course, just as you, Susan and I thought they would.

It will now be opt-in rather than opt-out, as it always should have been.

As MJ Foley said, “But “customer feedback” has yet again saved the day.”

There’s nothing tone-deaf about that, even if it took them a couple of weeks.

• #2138502 Reply

jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

Can you clarify? What do you think is tone-deaf about their response?

I’m not a fan of Bing in any form, but they’re providing a bunch of options for deployment of the Bing search (if you want it, for whatever reason), and they’re not forcing it upon anyone.

Isn’t that what we usually ask for?

• #2138505 Reply

Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

but they’re providing a bunch of options for deployment of the Bing search

Microsoft doesn’t have to provide a thing. Anyone who wants to change search engines in Chrome, Firefox… can do so today without Microsoft’s “help”.

So yes, they are tone-deaf.

• #2138511 Reply

jabeattyauditor
              AskWoody Lounger

That’s great when your user count < 2, but for large organizations (the folks actually using Office 365 Pro Plus), the ability to manage and support a consistent application package matters a bit more.

• #2138512 Reply

b
              AskWoody Plus

That is not the case in enterprises, where it helps to have everyone using the same search engine for corporate documents; and this proposed change only applies to enterprises.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft backtracks on Office search changes

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.