News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft "Boosters"

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Rants Microsoft "Boosters"

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Is it just me (probably), or are there a few MSFT “Boosters”, “Fanboys”, or just “Plants” in this forum, who’ll defend anything MSFT does, and snipe at anyone who criticizes them or their products, no matter what?

Or am I just getting paranoid in my old age? 🙂

Just wondering…

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --
      "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

• #2019396 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Paranoid!

🙂

cheers, Paul

• #2019516 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

NTDBD, I’m not sure if I’m one of the folks you’re thinking of, but I have posted comments critical of some of the endless string of anonymous posters and first-time visitors who seem to blame Microsoft for their own mistakes… or the folks who respond to every such thread with something like “this is why I don’t patch and why Linux is the best for everyone.”

Microsoft does many things poorly, but is also does many things well. It’s not the OS for everyone, but then again, no other OS fits that bill either. (Just look at some of the extended Linux-related support threads for confirmation.)

It seems to me – and it could be just my impression – that Woody himself is quicker (than in the past) to declare that problems reported by a single user (without supporting detail or evidence of expertise) are evidence of Microsoft’s failure or lack of attention to detail.

Btw, when you’ve read computer periodicals and commentary from the dawn of time (well, from back when computer periodicals actually existed in print), you recall that EVERY OS has had it’s share of problems, avid supporters, and avid detractors. I can’t recall a single OS that has ever done everything for everyone, and I can’t think of a single one that I want to revert to.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2019538 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

It seems to me – and it could be just my impression – that Woody himself is quicker (than in the past) to declare that problems reported by a single user (without supporting detail or evidence of expertise) are evidence of Microsoft’s failure or lack of attention to detail.

Yes; two days ago “The bugs keep rolling in.” didn’t start with much or end with much.

Microsoft Edge, Win 10 Pro 1909: Group ASAP (pioneer)

• #2019659 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

Microsoft does many things poorly, but is also does many things well. It’s not the OS for everyone, but then again, no other OS fits that bill either. (Just look at some of the extended Linux-related support threads for confirmation.)

I’m one of the people who has jumped ship to Linux, but I realize that it’s not ideal for everyone.  A lot of its issues arise not from deficiency in the OS itself, but from the manufacturers of hardware and the publishers of software deciding to ignore the platform, but that doesn’t matter to the people who can’t do with it what they want to do.  They’re not looking for someone to blame… they’re looking for a tool what will do what they need done.

On the other hand, I do bristle when people make statements about Linux that appear to be more based on years-old hearsay rather than recent experience.  For example, I do most of my administrative and housekeeping work in Linux using the GUI, yet I keep hearing about how it’s all done with the command line.  Some things are, like in the ongoing thread right now about HP printer drivers, and as long as hardware vendors like HP release drivers in a form that requires that, it will continue to be the case… but it’s not true that everything has to be done that way, or that one has to “memorize a bunch of commands” to do it.  Most of the time, all one needs to be able to do is copy and paste, which is usually what I do in those moments when I can’t use the GUI (and the same was often true in Windows– it’s often easier to give a string to copy-paste into the command window than to describe drilling down through the layers of GUI to get the right option).

Similarly, the tales of endless recompiling of the kernel and everything else aren’t the norm anymore.  I run versions of software that are newer than what is in Ubuntu’s 18.04 repo all the time, and by now I am sure the number of things I’ve done that with has run into the hundreds.  I’ve only had to compile things twice, and even then, there was step-by-step instructions.  The kernels I use are plain Ubuntu releases, right as they come off the line, precompiled by Ubuntu and ready to use.

I’m not a software developer; I am not accustomed to compiling anything!  The last time I compiled code that I wrote was using Borland Turbo C from the MS-DOS prompt.  It’s been a while.

Windows also has some myths that continue to dog it.  It’s almost become an “everyone knows” thing that Windows has poor memory management, but it doesn’t.  It actually has very good memory management, and it has for as long as I’ve been using NT-based Windows (from XP to the present).   There are a lot of things to criticize Microsoft, and Windows, about at the present, but that doesn’t translate to “Windows is bad in every category.”

In any case, being blind to the shortcomings of a given favorite thing isn’t helpful if you’re not actually vested in selling the product.  If you’re just a user, you have an interest in the product being as good as possible, and exposing the flaws to the cleansing power of sunlight is more likely to get those flaws fixed than pretending they do not exist.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.5).

• #2019720 Reply

Cybertooth
          AskWoody Plus

I concur with @ascaris on this. I began thinking about moving over to Linux when the  Windows 8 horror came out in 2012. My research at the time showed me clearly that Linux was not ready for (professional) prime time, as it simply lacked good-enough software (and for some scenarios, sometimes even ANY software) to work in a business environment.

However, this has changed dramatically over the last few years and taking a project from start to finish in Linux is now an almost completely viable proposition. My work is in publishing, and the next project will be attempted using Linux software exclusively. There used to be no decent word-processing or PDF editing software for Linux (sorry, but LibreOffice still doesn’t cut it when you’re working on complicated manuscripts), and happily that is no longer the case. So the perception that Linux is lacking in professional-class software is increasingly out of date.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Cybertooth.
      • #2019673 Reply

Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

(selective quote)

NTDBD, I’m not sure if I’m one of the folks you’re thinking of, but I have posted comments critical of some of the endless string of anonymous posters and first-time visitors who seem to blame Microsoft for their own mistakes…

There may be a little truth to your assertion, but it is not an epidemic. Once (most) people visit and ask for help and indicate in a post that Microsoft is the cause of whatever issue they are experiencing, and receive corrective direction from the “locals”, I don’t see continued, ongoing, endless blame on Microsoft.  “I didn’t know that” is more likely the response. Don’t hold me captive to that verbiage, it is just my general observation.

People do complain though.

Frustration, and the hunt for cures or even clues to what might be the cause of their problem is what most people are looking for. That they didn’t understand help is more forthcoming sans a rant, is soon apparent should they decide to hang around.

Eh … everyone has an opinion, lucky for us we have this rants forum to vent.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of posts that never see AskWoody’s forum pages because the post was only a rant.

• #2019537 Reply

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

No fan boys here.  When  ever anyone  posts a problem.   Many  people on this site with expertise on Microsoft are always there to help .

• #2020163 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve found only one Microsoft fanboy here at AskWoody. However, at Woody’s previous endeavor (Windows Secrets), there were a few Microsoft fanboys. One in particular comes to mind, and he was banned after a while, because he was incapable of any rational thought in his posts; his posts were simply a continual promo for Microsoft.

I’m not going to mention any names, don’t even ask.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft "Boosters"

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.