News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft bring Windows 95 scroll bar to Windows 10

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Microsoft bring Windows 95 scroll bar to Windows 10

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/app/9p7glmhlw7x6?ranMID=24542&ranEAID&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

• #2223460 Reply
        anonymous

I have no idea why people would want more distractions on their screen. The current trend, at least for what consumers want, is a shift towards dark mode and minimalism. The days of flashy news tickers on your screen are long gone.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2223520 Reply
        Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

I got excited when I saw the topic name, “Microsoft bring Windows 95 scroll bar to Windows 10″. I thought that maybe somebody at MS had finally gotten some sense into them and replaced that ridiculously thin and faint Explorer scroll bar with one that you can always see and easily click on to drag the page up and down.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2223521 Reply
          cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

Cybertooth,  Try going to settings > Ease Of Access > Display and turn off Automatically hide scroll bars. One of the first things I do as I hate the hidden scroll bars.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2223601 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

This is in Beta right now. They say, and show screenshots, of news scrolling, from a news tape like shown by @Alex5723, to larger scrolling of reports from Microsoft News network, that looks somewhat like the suggested videos you’d see on YouTube. You can add stocks to it.

This might feed the need of those that can’t get enough of COVID-19 news… and those who would intensely stress over the roller coaster stock reports.

It does, like XBox games, carry a Photosensitive seizure warning.

I was confused by the following statement:

Microsoft’s Windows News Bar works just like the Windows Taskbar. It’s there when you need it, where you need it and how you need it.

Apparently it ‘works’ like the Task bar because it sits on top or next to it (depending on task bar placement), and allows you to customize it much as you can customize your task bar. It doesn’t have task bar functionality… and that was the part that confused me.

For those that embrace Beta testing, it is available for a free download, right now.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft bring Windows 95 scroll bar to Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel