News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft Edge Beta for Mac Now Available

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Other platforms – for Windows wonks macOS for Windows wonks Microsoft Edge Beta for Mac Now Available

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Microsoft has released a beta version of Edge (web browser) for Mac.This is slightly more stable than the previous previews, but still quite buggy. I’m holding off on using Microsoft Edge for Mac until the final release (and even then I’ll mainly use it for testing purposes), but I wanted to let the AskWoody Community know it is now in beta.

Nathan Parker

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1913468 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

You know, I have been wondering which color, if not blue, is the BSOD of a Mac? I can’t really say that I’ve seen that in my more than two years as the proud owner of one. So I am looking forward to Edge, keen as I always am on having new, mind-expanding experiences to enrich my life. Thanks, MS for giving me this opportunity!

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1914022 Reply

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

I hope this doesn’t eliminate a new, mind-expanding experience for you but I believe the analogous MAC color is sort of a battleship grey.

I was doing a point update about a year ago on iMAC High Sierra and as it was shutting down I got a message saying I hadn’t closed all the programs. The message was up for about a second before disappearing and I didn’t have enough time to get to Affinity Photo to exit from it. next thing I knew the machine froze. After letting it sit for an hour with absolutely nothing but a grey screen, I forced a restart. Everything righted itself after that.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1913487 Reply

Philomene123
      AskWoody Plus

Hmm. I am still considering to  try on my imac and macbook.  Not sure. I  bought apple to run from windows, so…..

I agree, it’s a joy, no bsod  on apple devices! LOL.  Had minor issues over the years, few viruses.

• #1913500 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Microsoft has released a beta version of Edge (web browser) for Mac

Why?
      What possible reason is there for using Edge on a Mac?

cheers, Paul

• #1914264 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Paul T: What reason?

Try these for size: Masochism? To have a good laugh with some friends after a few beers?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #1917231 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

In terms of Edge, since it’s now based on Chromium, it’s not going to be much different than Chrome in terms of how websites will look. There are a couple of reasons you would run Edge on a Mac:

1. You’re a web developer and simply need all the browsers you can for testing purposes (which is my case).
      2. You work on a Windows PC and a Mac and use Edge as the default browser on a Windows PC (who does this?), and you want to sync your bookmarks/settings between devices (although you can also do this with Firefox or Chrome).

The “BSOD” equivalent on a Mac is generally a gray screen, and it’s called a “kernel panic”. This explains what it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic

This explains how to resolve them:

https://www.macworld.com/article/2027201/how-to-troubleshoot-a-kernel-panic.html

Back in Tiger and Leopard, I had my share of them. It’s been a while since I’ve had one thankfully.

Nathan Parker

• #1917336 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Nathan. I have already copied that Mac World page article to a PDF and filed it along with my other information on Macs and Mac’s problems.

One question remains open, though: I have a Mac with an SSD, not a spinning disk, so I don’t think that using “Repair Disk”, as one possible way to get over the problem, as advised in the same article, would be such a good idea. But if not that, then what?

• #1917423 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I don’t think that using “Repair Disk”, as one possible way to get over the problem, as advised in the same article, would be such a good idea. But if not that, then what?

Repair Disk works with SSDs. It is optimized to work with any macOS drive, and both HFS+ and APFS formatting as well.

Anywhere where you read Repair Disk Permissions, that’s no longer available in newer versions of macOS. macOS now automatically handles Repair Disk Permissions when it spots permissions issues. I’ve only had to occasionally run it on older versions of macOS, but nowadays, that’s all automatic.

Nathan Parker

• #1917534 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You’re a web developer and simply need all the browsers you can for testing purposes

Better off running a VM with Windows and edge IMO.

cheers, Paul

• #1918503 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Better off running a VM with Windows and edge IMO.

That would work too, although with Edge going to Chromium underpinnings in the new version, at least this is one way to quickly test Edge without the overhead of a Windows VM. For those who do need to access Windows though, the VM works (I still VPN into a Windows WM at work to run some of our weather stuff, but other than that I try to do everything inside macOS).

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft Edge Beta for Mac Now Available

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.