News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft Edge is now more popular than Firefox

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Internet Explorer and Edge Microsoft Edge is now more popular than Firefox

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Edge 7.59%, Firefox 7.19%.

NetMarketShare, Browser Market Share, March 2020

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (Pioneer/Chump)

• #2216140 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

The folks in the MS telemetry dept must be ecstatic!

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• #2218052 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

There is of course no such department, but the Edge developers do improve the program by means of diagnostics data where users choose to enable that:

Help Microsoft improve our products by sending crash reports, info about how you use the browser, and websites you visit. You can control whether optional diagnostic data associated with your device is shared with Microsoft to solve product issues and help improve Microsoft products and services. The new Microsoft Edge collects a set of required data necessary to help keep the product secure, up to date, and performing properly. Microsoft believes in and practices information collection minimization. We strive to gather only the info we need, and to store it only for as long as it’s needed to provide a service or for analysis. This includes data from testing new experiences.

Learn more about data collection in Microsoft Edge

• #2223271 Reply
            DriftyDonN
            AskWoody Plus

Sorry you took that remark literally and wasted your time replying re:”dept”

I’ll try to be more precise.

DDN

Edit: The double click reply tip works very well! Thanks!

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by DriftyDonN.
      • #2220585 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

The new Microsoft Edge collects a set of required data necessary to help keep the product secure, up to date, and performing properly.

They also require the collection of certain data… that sentence was sandwiched between emphasizing that you have some control over the level of data collection, and the statement “Microsoft believes in and practices information collection minimization.” Minimization, leakage (from their privacy white paper on Enterprise grade best practices), and fake choices that do not allow the end user to actually control data collection is not the same as actual privacy and practices that do not collect and use data in the first place. It is marketing-speak to encourage acceptance of their really despicable take over of our Windows computers… and their continued efforts to get people to think that they are getting privacy, when they are not (because, really, none of us find someone looking into our homes and businesses acceptable, no matter what pretense is made that it is for our own good).

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

6 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2221625 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

Do you prefer a browser which is not kept secure, up to date, and performing properly?

Which bowser do you use? (There are no fake choices in Microsoft Edge or Windows 10.)

If you think Microsoft is looking into your home and business, why do you use Windows?

• #2223192 Reply
            Ascaris
            AskWoody_MVP

Do you prefer a browser which is not kept secure, up to date, and performing properly?

That’s a strawman argument. None of the other browsers require telemetry that can’t be turned off to be secure, up to date, and working properly, including the one that does all of the developmental heavy lifting for Microsoft (Chromium, of course).

I’m not Elly, but I’ll answer as if you’d posed the question to me.  I want a browser that is kept secure, up to date, performs properly, and that allows me to turn any telemetry that exists completely off with a single click, and once disabled, remains that way.  It also has to give me full control over updates.

I have the same requirements for an operating system, for what it’s worth.

If you think Microsoft is looking into your home and business, why do you use Windows?

A lot of people don’t use Windows because they love it, but because they have to, or because they think they have to.  MS could not get away with making Windows 10 as it is if people perceived that they had a choice.  Microsoft is using their monopoly as monopolists do.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.18.5).

• #2223217 Reply
        anonymous

Assume you want a browser to be somewhat secure and private.  I feel there is no great choice for you.  Firefox is behind the Chrome clones versus security flaws, its sandbox and process structure is weaker.  Chrome is great for security, but even if you pick non-default settings to improve privacy, I think it leaks a lot of your data to websites and maybe Google, so is not great for privacy.  Shockingly, Edge sounds like it is worse, with a machine specific unchangeable ID!  We here seem to have surprising influence over Microsoft (rolling back of the in-house license rule, etc) anyone who has pull, please have them fix this.

Brave does well in some tests, but most non-Chrome Chrome clones lag behind the main Chrome upstream code, so they don’t have the latest security patches.  And their home page sounds like it was written by a carnival barker, “make money fast . chain letter . scam”-like.

Then, there is tor, but maybe it is easy to be noticed that you are using it and just using it makes you a major target.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2223340 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

The new Chredge isn’t even a bleep on the horizon while The legacy Edge has 2.18% vs Firefox’s 4.42%

All Platforms :

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

On desktop :

Firefox 9.25%, Edge Legacy 4.56%, ChrEdge can’t be found even with a magnifying glass.

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/desktop/worldwide

• #2223343 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

ChrEdge can’t be found even with a magnifying glass.

I found it without a magnifying glass.

The new Microsoft Edge has more users than Pale Moon, Waterfox and 10 other browsers.

(Even with Statcounter’s alternative facts.)

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft Edge is now more popular than Firefox

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.