News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Microsoft ending Chromebook support for Office Android apps in September

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Microsoft Office by version » Microsoft ending Chromebook support for Office Android apps in September

Author
    Topic

Microsoft ending Chromebook support for Office Android apps in September

Back in late June, there were reports that Microsoft may be planning to move Office users on Chromebooks to the web. Some Chromebook users were seeing in-app messaging suggesting this. At the time, I dismissed those reports as not all Chromebook users of the Office Android apps were seeing such messaging. It turns out I was wrong. Microsoft is dropping Chromebook support for Office Android apps next month…

[Moderator edit] trimmed copied text

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

“In an effort to provide the most optimized experience for Chrome OS/Chromebook customers, Microsoft apps (Office and Outlook) will be transitioned to web experiences (Office.com and Outlook.com) on September 18, 2021.”

Users of Chromebooks already had the “web experience” option, right? Quite evidently, some chose the Android apps anyway. It sounds like for them, the most optimized experience was the one you’re now removing. I love the corporate-speak that insists that forcing people to take the option other than the one they actually chose (when given the choice) is somehow better for them, which is right in line with Microsoft’s philosophy for other things, like Windows updates.

Dell XPS 13/9310, i5-1135G7/16GB, KDE Neon
      Dell G3 15/3579, i7-8750H/16GB, KDE Neon
      Asus P8P67 Deluxe, i5-2500k/16GB, KDE Neon

Users of Chromebooks already had the “web experience” option, right? Quite evidently, some chose the Android apps anyway. It sounds like for them, the most optimized experience was the one you’re now removing.

That assumes they were aware that they had a choice.

The alternative to using the Android apps is to use the thing at the heart of your Chromebook; Google Chrome. Microsoft has web apps for the Office suite which are just as good as the Android apps with the bonus of not taking up any of your storage space.

How to use Microsoft Office on a Chromebook

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1319 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Hello, the below is more of an observance as I’m unsure how Microsoft’s September ending of MS Office Android support will affect my setup and maybe others can help clear up the picture.

Scenario, had my current Chromebook (Acer Spin 713) for a year, and set it up in Fall 2020 with Office app (unsure if it came from Playstore or Chrome store, thinking Play) and the various Android equivalents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & OneNote) along with OneDrive.  I’m subscribed to Microsoft’s Personal MS/ Office 365.

Around late Winter 2021, had OneNote experienced an issue in opening Notebooks (a known issue at the time that was fixed without any Microsoft acknowledgement that I could see) and I had to remove the OneDrive app (which I’m assuming is a “Android App”) as OneNote online would insist that it access the Notebook through OneDrive and fail, but once OneDrive was removed I then was able to access OneNote through Office.com, until the issue was fixed and I reinstalled the OneDrive app (as I personally like the idea that my Android OneNote stores / syncs the Notebook locally).

Ok, this past week updating a couple of Word documents, and I’m not sure if it’s the Office app – bringing up the Word Online version or the Android version) I noticed that OneDrive Android app would constantly come up anytime I wanted to perform advanced file saving features.

I’ve not received the warning on my system, just read about it in the press.  In a nutshell, I’m not sure how Microsoft has setup my Chromebook for use of it’s Office apps and what will be the experience come October.

Guess I’ll report back in October.

Take care,

IT Manager Geek

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Microsoft ending Chromebook support for Office Android apps in September

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.