• Microsoft ‘fixed’ default app settings in Build 22509.1100

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » Microsoft ‘fixed’ default app settings in Build 22509.1100

Author
    Topic

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/12/02/windows-11-build-22509-1000-insider-preview-developer-channel/

…Set the default browser more easily

Microsoft casually omitted this change from the release notes, but some keen eyed users spotted it, you can now set the default browser more easily. Open the Settings app and navigate to Apps > Default Apps. Select your browser, and you will see a Set Default option at the top of the window, to set it as the default browser for handling HTM, HTML, XHTML, HTTP, HTTPS protocols…

Viewing 6 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

They do listen and SOMETIMES take appropriate action.

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.

Whoopdido
      Do we need to THANK them for such a simple remediation ?

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Since Microsoft gets bashed for all sorts of things, I think they deserve credit when they do respond and make changes.

Please note that this is only a partial solution as the widgets and other OS calls still use Edge.

--Joe

Since Microsoft gets bashed for all sorts of things, I think they deserve credit when they do respond and make changes.

Please note that this is only a partial solution as the widgets and other OS calls still use Edge.

The change effects only default browser settings.
      What about video, photos, PDF… default settings ?

There is a messy way to do associations (more inclined for deployment) – below is the Windows 10 command, likely the same on Windows 11. The output is a text file so you can edit it to your requirements, or plain export it once you have it all set up so you can restore the settings should MS deploy a new app which steals an association you set.

DEFAULT ASSOCIATIONS COMMANDS:

dism /online /Remove-DefaultAppAssociations – Removes the default application associations
      from a Windows image.
      dism /online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations – Imports a set of default application
      associations to a Windows image.
      dism /online /Get-DefaultAppAssociations – Displays the list of default application
      associations from a Windows image.
      dism /online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations – Exports the default application associations
      from a running operating system.

… so you can restore the settings should MS deploy a new app which steals an association you set.

Because these commands deal with default settings, I believe they only affect new users (i.e. account created after import).

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1682 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

I guess the setting might be per user as well – never tried it that way as we were deploying – all the image configuration not done with the deployment tools was put in place either in audit mode (BIOS updates, other firmware) or using the built in administrator account of the loaded FFU image before the password was set and the account disabled again. (Deploying a LSE product to replace various other versions.).

Should it be of any use I remembered something else we did.. after we set the system defaults with DISM

There is a registry area which is hashed, so direct alterations kick off issues, but what you can do is to back the area up and reinstate it as a block. We did this in a bulky reg add spree in the runonce of default user along with a lot of other system specific tweaks..

Operation and location hopefully as defined at the site below:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-resetting-file-associations/

Should it be of any use I remembered something else we did.. after we set the system defaults with DISM

There is a registry area which is hashed, so direct alterations kick off issues, but what you can do is to back the area up and reinstate it as a block. We did this in a bulky reg add spree in the runonce of default user along with a lot of other system specific tweaks..

Operation and location hopefully as defined at the site below:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-resetting-file-associations/

Great post and an excellent article referenced. Thank you.

It clearly shows Microsoft eschewing (legacy) manual registry edits to deliberately prevent user choice and/or third-parties under the guise of ‘registry corruption’.

Viewing 6 reply threads
    Reply To: Reply #2404772 in Microsoft ‘fixed’ default app settings in Build 22509.1100

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel