• Microsoft installing HP Smart secretly on non HP PCs

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows – other » Microsoft installing HP Smart secretly on non HP PCs

Author
    Topic

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/11/30/hp-smart-is-auto-installing-on-windows-11-and-windows-10-on-non-hp-machines/

Microsoft is looking into reports of the HP Smart app automatically getting installed on Windows 11 and Windows 10 via the Microsoft Store, causing confusion among users. If your Windows installation is affected, you’ll notice a new app “HP Smart” in the Start menu..

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Reproduced on Win10 22H2. No HP Printers present. Listed as purchased yesterday. Actually, shows as HP Smart installation pending. This is because the Microsoft Store is deactivated until we decide to do our monthly Windows Update in a few days. Yet another piece of crapware to uninstall, maybe.

Windows 10 22H2 desktops & laptops on Dell, HP, ASUS; No servers, no domain.

1 user thanked author for this post.

I have uninstalled all Store apps (except for the store app) and disabled updates.
        When I need a store app I just open the store and install the required app.

Same here, also Win10 22H2 (although in my case I DID once have an HP Printer)

I uninstalled it without problem

There is an explanation for the HP Smart app Windows auto-installation issue

The unwanted installation of Hewlett Packard’s printer software HP Smart on Windows 10 and 11 devices caused confusion in the past couple of days. Windows users, even those without HP printers or other HP devices, started to notice the installation of the HP Smart software on their devices…

A deeper analysis of affected systems revealed that Windows did change the make and model of some printers on the system.

Printers were suddenly listed as HP LaserJet M101-M106 internally. This affected physical and also virtual printers. …

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Microsoft installing HP Smart secretly on non HP PCs

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: