News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft issues silver bullet Win7 patch to fix the bug introduced in this month’s Win7 patch

Home Forums AskWoody blog Microsoft issues silver bullet Win7 patch to fix the bug introduced in this month’s Win7 patch

Tagged: 

This topic contains 26 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by

Tara 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

You won’t see it listed on the official Win7 patch page, but last night Microsoft released KB 4487345, “update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 20
      [See the full post at: Microsoft issues silver bullet Win7 patch to fix the bug introduced in this month’s Win7 patch]

• #309449 Reply

anonymous

Fred & Freda Average who don’t read up on what’s happening with patching are left in the dark again.  That makes good business sense for a company that wants its reputation to decline.

• #309518 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

In this particular instance, the bug is very specific, for networked situations only, and won’t apply to my Sainted Great Aunt Martha.

It ain’t always like that, though.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #309622 Reply

anonymous

So if the computer is a single, stand alone computer hooked up to the internet via a lan cable to an at&t router/gateway, this issue would not be a problem?

Or should the patch be installed just to be sure?

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #309647 Reply

fernlady
            AskWoody Lounger

I have the same question.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 AMD Group A Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller

• #309667 Reply

anonymous

@fernlady and anonymous-

You should only need this “silver bullet” if your computer shares any of its files or any hardware connected directly to it (such as a printer) with other computers in the house. If it’s a solitary thing with no other computers in the house, you probably don’t need this patch.

Also, if you do have other computers in the house, but they don’t “talk” to each other or see each other after you click on the “Network” icon, then you probably don’t need this patch.

I hope this helps clarify things!

• #309670 Reply

fernlady
              AskWoody Lounger

It helped me a great deal, thank you! one computer and one printer nothing else is the house.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 AMD Group A Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller

• #309665 Reply

NetDef
            AskWoody_MVP

So if the computer is a single, stand alone computer hooked up to the internet via a lan cable to an at&t router/gateway, this issue would not be a problem? Or should the patch be installed just to be sure?

If your system has no networked scanners that need to send copies to your computers hard drive, no other computers that need to share files back and forth on your local home network, then . . .

Not really needed. 

And since this is a hotfix, thus quickly produced and published, if you don’t need it now to continue working then it’s best to wait until it’s released to Windows Update (which is supposed to imply a state of quality and general readyness for everyone.)

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• #309702 Reply

anonymous

if you don’t need it now to continue working then it’s best to wait until it’s released to Windows Update

Well, I dont need it now because I have’nt installed the January KB4480970 yet so I dont know if I need it at this point.

If I wait until this hotfix is released to Windows Update, that probably means I should not install the January KB update – correct?  Seems like a Catch-22 for the issue unless you know whether it will affect your particular system or not.

• #309725 Reply

Elly
              AskWoody MVP

Which is why Woody has the DEFCON system…

It is for those who really know what they are doing to install patches right away. They can find any problems and possible solutions. Also, Microsoft may identify the problems and release fixes. They know how to restore their machines to working order if something does go wrong. After that, usually just before the next patches are release, Woody will change the DEFCON level, post on the Home page and provide instructions in a linked ComputerWorld article.

The last updates cleared to install were December 2018’s.

Woody and others will report bugs, bug fixes, etc, as they occur… and people will test and report their results. That does not mean the rest of us should jump in and install these things. Wait, let other’s be the beta-testers…

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #309738 Reply

anonymous

Add to that, “read Master Patch list for individual patch advice before updating”.

• #309765 Reply

KWGuy
              AskWoody Plus

I have several stand-alone computers that don’t talk to one another.  However, would a wi-fi enabled printer be a potential problem?

• #314000 Reply

Tara
          AskWoody Plus

a bit late to this discussion but went on vacation after doing this update and having problems.

We have a home network.  Multiple computers, laptops, printers.  Computers are running Win7 64-bit.  After the update the lost ability to see/access one of the computers (tower) that I routinely have accessed from my laptop over the years for file shares and backups (plus we have it running WMC).  Today I went searching for a solutions.  Could successfully ping the tower PC.  Could search for it using its IP address but still was blocked.  Finally came across discussion suggesting KB4480970 was culprit.  Uninstalled that KB from my laptop and the tower.  All seems to be right with the world now!  Once again can access the “lost”/inaccessible computer.  Of note, just discovered that my laptop is using Win7 Professional but the tower is using Win7 Ultimate. Perhaps this explains the problem to someone?

Other observations:

Another laptop, running Win7 Home Premium with KB4480970 still installed, can not access the tower computer.

Oddly, yet another laptop that is running Win7Pro and still has the KB installed can now see the lost tower (did not previously) so perhaps there is a problem with this update and just specific versions of Win7??

• #309471 Reply

anonymous

I’m so glad Microsoft will be reserving another 7GB of disk space in order to ensure patches like this and the previous patch this one might fix continue to get installed immediately and without testing in the future!

• #309485 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

No, I don’t know who tests these things.

Sure you do, but it’s nice of you not to point it out and pick on us.
      😀

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #309512 Reply

anonymous

This (Woody on Windows RegFix.cmd program) worked for me, for Windows-7 Ultimate (x64), to fix the [Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System] “Windows is activated / Product ID” and “Windows is Genuine” (Logo) problem, without uninstalling the Windows-7 KB4480970 patch, on my home desktop computer.
      I do not know yet if it fixes any networking problems, as my LAN (connection status) is only connecting to the internet through my ISP.

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system /v LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Will Microsoft be fixing the problem in future via the regular Windows 7 update process?
      I cannot get to the KB4487345 update through their Support webpage, their Robot just gives me the run around.

• #309643 Reply

anonymous

Will Microsoft be fixing the problem in future via the regular Windows 7 update process?
        I cannot get to the KB4487345 update through their Support webpage, their Robot just gives me the run around.

I don’t know what you might have on your machine, but I’d run a scan for malware or PUP’s (Potentially Unwanted Programs) if I were you. When I go to the Microsoft Update Catalog, I don’t experience ANY kind of “prove you’re not a robot” type of behavior from the site.

It basically sounds like, from what you’ve written, someone or something doesn’t want you to go to the Microsoft Update Catalog site to update your machine when YOU want to.

Try the following link which should take you directly to the page for the download you’re looking for, no “robots” needed nor desired: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4487345

Once you’re there, select either the 32 bit (2019-01 Update for Windows 7 for x86-based Systems (KB4487345)) or 64 bit (2019-01 Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4487345)) version of the patch and click the blue button labeled “DOWNLOAD” in the right hand side of the window. Please do not click any of the links for Windows 7 Embedded Standard systems.

That, in turn, will open up another smaller window that will have the exact download link entirely in blue lettering consisting of the exact name of the file you will download. Just click the blue link and then select the option to “Save File” from the box that pops up. The other option in that box is to open the file with the Windows Installer, which will attempt to install the patch at that very moment which is NOT a good idea for this patch.

Once you’ve downloaded the correct patch for your system, close all work you’re doing and all browsers that may be open. Navigate to the location where you saved the patch and double click the patch to install it. You’ll probably be asked to reboot afterwards.

• #309675 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

The activation problem only impacted KMS (enterprise licensing) computers and not those of us with normal retail licenses.  What exact symptoms did you have?  Because the KMS bug only impacted people in businesses, not individuals.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

6 users thanked author for this post.
        • #309736 Reply

anonymous

Thank you, Susan. I wish Microsoft and commentators would have said that in so few words and in plain English as you did.

• #309743 Reply

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Lounger

This might be a bit off this thread’s topic, but I have a question about KMS, and it might apply to @anonymous #309512, above. I’m dealing with a Win 7 Pro sp1 x64 computer that was on a corporate network for a couple years. It’s owner then retired and brought the computer home where it has been functioning as a stand alone computer for 2 years, during which time it has not connected to the old corporate network. Since it hasn’t experienced activation problems, can I assume it doesn’t have a KMS license, which as I understand it reactivates every 180 days?

When I go to ‘System’ in the control panel I see ‘OEM’ in the product ID. I also see ‘OEM_SLP Channel’ when I run ‘slmgr /dlv’ on an administrator command prompt. I’m assuming I’d see ‘KMS’ (or maybe ‘MAK’) instead of ‘OEM’ if the machine had KMS licensing.

Thanks.

• #309764 Reply

Thanks, Susan, for explaining this can of worms plainly, distinctly, simply, and with clarity. You should have been a Technical Writer, save these days they’re all being told to “leave out the talk, just draw some pictures.” (Aaaargh.)

And congrats on the podcast; very well done!

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "A/B [negative] :)", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
          --
          "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

• #309578 Reply

anonymous

No, I don’t know who tests these things.

MS does not test anything. They fired their QA/QC/Test department around the same time Bill left.

• #309835 Reply

PerthMike
      AskWoody Lounger

I have several stand-alone computers that don’t talk to one another. However, would a wi-fi enabled printer be a potential problem?

Printer: no, but a multi-function device that also scans, possibly.

No matter where you go, there you are.

• #309908 Reply

anonymous

By the sound of it this would affect possibly a lot of Windows 7 domestic users who use Share to Homegroup then? (e.g. to easily transfer files from Laptop A to Desktop B via wifi?

• #309910 Reply

anonymous

Anonymous #309643,

When I said, “I cannot get to the KB4487345 update through their Support webpage, their Robot just gives me the run around.”–I mean that whenever I click on a link that takes me to the Microsoft Support webpage, with the little ‘ROBOT’ helper link in the bottom right corner, I cannot ever get it to take me where I want to go; e.g., to the KB4487345 download page.

Susan,

Q. What exact symptoms did you have?
      A. After installing the KB4480970 update, I lost the “Windows is activated,” “Product ID,” and “Windows is Genuine” (Logo), all at the bottom of the “System Control Panel” (window) on my [Windows-7 (Home Premium upgraded to) Ultimate (x64)] Lenovo desktop PC.

• #313709 Reply

gborn
      AskWoody_MVP

I got now feedback from two readers, that the Microsoft fix KB4487345 fails to cure the network issue. Only the registry change allowed access to shares. I wrote a blog post with details.

Does the Fix KB4487345 fail on Windows Server 2008 R2?

What’s your experience? Did the fix helped (withouth the LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy change needed)? Or do you needed to change LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy?

• #313755 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP
    • #316356 Reply

anonymous

Please be aware that Microsoft has two almost identical articles addressing this issue:

One with a link to the correct hotfix “KB4487354” and the other with the last two digits reversed “KB4487345” which does not work at all for Windows Server 2008 R2.

Description of the update for Windows Server 2008 SP2: January 11, 2019

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4487354/update-for-windows-server-2008-sp2

Description of the update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2: January 11, 2019

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4487345/update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft issues silver bullet Win7 patch to fix the bug introduced in this month’s Win7 patch

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.