Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft Office for Linux

Posted on MrJimPhelps Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 1 month ago.

• Author

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

I have found a way to run Microsoft Office on your Linux computer. It’s easier than you think.

Microsoft Office Online:
      https://products.office.com/en-us/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online

Last night, while on my Xubuntu Linux computer, I went to the MS Office Online website, using Opera as my browser. I created a Microsoft account, then ran Word and Excel. Everything worked very well! And you have the option of storing your documents in OneDrive (making them available to you anywhere) or storing them on your local hard drive.

So if you don’t mind using a “cloud” version of Office, this is a very easy (and free!) way to run Microsoft Office on your Linux computer!

(Hat tip to Woody for bringing MS Office Online to my attention.)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #129912 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

I used Unbuntu for a while with Libre Office (bundled) for a while and found it a quite useful programme for working with Word, excel docs for a while. Whilst not as polished it was adequatley functional at least for my needs at the time. I was wondering if Unbuntu/Xunbuntu can handle setting up a network drive same as I use it on occasion.
      http://www.thewindowsclub.com/map-onedrive-network-drive-windows-10

My use of Win8.1-10 typically are on “local Account” basis for obvious reasons, and I like to keep track of what goes to the M$ cloud, snooping and the like. Win7-10 vers are really easy to use utilising right click “send to” for Docs etc although naturally if you “logged on” to more than one machine its lol problematic. But it works good. Could well be time to revisit Unbuntu/Mint/Xunbutu for a little test. Its a bit of a struggle to network Win7 to “The Penguin” but not impossible when you lose the “Windoze” mindset.

• #129917 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

I have found it easy to share a Windows drive to my Linux machine or to another Windows machine. But I haven’t yet figured out how to share a Linux drive to any machine. I have read various help files posted by Linux users, but so far, no luck for me.

This is one of the issues I hope to figure out soon, that is, before 2020, when Windows 7 goes out of support.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft Office for Linux

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.