News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft pauses non-security patches

Home Forums AskWoody blog Microsoft pauses non-security patches

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

Microsoft says it won’t be pushing any new non-security patches (although they just pushed one about an hour ago). We have been evaluating the public
        [See the full post at: Microsoft pauses non-security patches]

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2210557 Reply
        IndyPilot80
        AskWoody Lounger

Hmm. Interesting. KB4541335 just showed up in WSUS. Wonder if this is a “Ohh, come on, just one more before we have to stop”.

Edit: Just saw then are planning to “pause” starting in May.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by IndyPilot80.
      • #2210566 Reply
        abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

It means we will still have non-security updates in April
        and from May, it will be halted… until they decide to resume it

this doesn’t mean Win10 security cumulatives won’t have new non-security fixes
        but they will be minimized

• #2210588 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

Now THAT makes sense.

I wonder why they didn’t just come out and say it?

• #2210605 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

they did say it, woody

Timing for upcoming Windows optional C and D releases

We have been evaluating the public health situation, and we understand this is impacting our customers. In response to these challenges we are prioritizing our focus on security updates. Starting in May 2020, we are pausing all optional non-security releases (C and D updates) for all supported versions of Windows client and server products (Windows 10, version 1909 down through Windows Server 2008 SP2).

BleepingComputer article – Microsoft Pauses Optional Windows Cumulative Updates Starting in May
        https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-pauses-optional-windows-cumulative-updates-starting-in-may/

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by EP.
        • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by EP.
        • #2210643 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

MS said that they will no longer be issuing C and D week updates.

They didn’t say they were reducing the number of non-security patches in B week updates. That’s what Abbodi said.

I’m skeptical because there’s no way MS will stop ALL non-security updates. Some of them will have to come through. But apparently they’ll arrive in the B Week Patch Tuesday crop.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2210822 Reply
        anonymous

I think you are missing the whole point.

With the increased web traffic from the Stay-at-home situation- many large internet based businesses are being asked to- or proactively taking preventive steps to scale back their traffic footprints.  See Youtube/Netflix in lower quality etc.   This is simply MS trying to be a good citizen and reduce it’s pushes to only most critical updates during this crisis.  Don’t read more into it than that.

• #2210837 Reply
          anonymous

Then Microsoft could clearly communicate that in a statement. They did not. You have read that for them. The need you describe is now, the adjustment is the 3rd week of May, eight weeks from now.

• #2210841 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

Windows patches as a percentage of total online traffic puts a new “u” in minuscule.

The goal is improved stability. I think. It’s a noble goal.

As far as reduced online traffic… well, OK, that’s great. Can’t argue with it.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by woody.
      • #2210852 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

AN OFFICIAL UPDATE: On Twitter, a few minutes ago, the official @WindowsUpdate account said:

That sounds right to me.

• #2211406 Reply
        dmt_3904
        AskWoody Plus

So I’ve lost track of the March updates. We are still on Defcon 2, correct?  I have quality updates deferred for 30 days & Group Policy settings to ask for download prior to installing.  Should I pause updates before, I don’t know what is the date for 30 days, April 14th? I’m thinking if I don’t pause, they will appear after 30 days.  Which, I can leave sitting there, but I don’t want to do that.  thanks.

• #2211411 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

We are still on DEFCON-2 (See top of the website).
          WAIT for DEFCON-3 or greater.

• #2211762 Reply
            dmt_3904
            AskWoody Plus

ok. But I still have a couple questions:   if we are still at Defcon 2 and 30 day deferral runs out, the updates will appear?  And then I can leave them there until I choose to download (I have set group policy for that).  Or, I can Pause and once I remove that, anything that is out there will download automatically.

Sorry, don’t mean to be dense, just want to make sure I understand what happens when we have deferral days set and we go past that deferral date. thanks!

• #2211767 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

I have Quality deferral set at 0 days and the GP setting at “2”. When the updates appear in the WU queue on Patch Tuesday, they will sit there until I click on the “Download” button. I have never set Quality deferral otherwise, but I assume you will see the same behavior (this is not a guarantee from first-hand knowledge, it is a guess).

If you set “Pause,” I do know that at the end of the pause period that the updates will download/install without respecting the GP setting of “2” (unless maybe you have Metered Connections set). Again, this is just my personal experience. I do not use “Pause” for that reason, as I have the Pro version. But Home version doesn’t have any other choice.

There is more info in AKB2000016.

• #2211780 Reply
                dmt_3904
                AskWoody Plus

thank you, that makes sense. i will leave my settings as is and not pause.

• #2211531 Reply
        125dmkcir
        AskWoody Plus

Microsoft should just continue to support version 1809 which they forced me to upgrade to.  It works.  How many time do I need to say that.  I don’t need to be forced to migrate to 1909  in May with all the issues while I am “working from home”  I was happy on 1803.  Just leave me alone for a while.

• #2211535 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Microsoft should just continue to support version 1809 which they forced me to upgrade to.  It works.  How many time do I need to say that.  I don’t need to be forced to migrate to 1909  in May with all the issues while I am “working from home”  I was happy on 1803.  Just leave me alone for a while.

No one has forced you to anything. You could blocked Windows 10 updates like in Windows 7, but without security patches.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft pauses non-security patches

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.