• Microsoft plans to bring its AI Copilot to 1 billion Windows 10 users

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10-other » Microsoft plans to bring its AI Copilot to 1 billion Windows 10 users

Author
    Topic

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-10/exclusive-microsoft-plans-to-bring-its-ai-copilot-to-1-billion-windows-10-users

…According to my sources, Microsoft is planning to bring the same Microsoft Copilot to Windows 10 in an update coming soon. Just like Windows 11, this update to Windows 10 will place a Copilot button directly on the Windows 10 taskbar, which will open the exact same Copilot sidebar experience found on Windows 11.

The main reason behind this decision is market share. Windows 10 is still in use on around 1 billion monthly active devices, compared to the 400 million monthly active devices on Windows 11….

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Well that’s just great!

Now us Windows 10 users will have to deal with some of stuff that’s the reason we haven’t upgrade to Windows 11. ☹️

4 users thanked author for this post.

Thanks for the headsup Alex. Always a pleasure to have something you never asked for, and in fact actively don’t want, forced down your throat

Presumably it has an “off” switch?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Do you have a choice anymore?  That was my first thought – can you uninstall it, or at least disable it?  So glad I don’t have these worries now since I started using Linux.

Being 20 something in the 70's was more fun than being 70 something in the 20's
        3 users thanked author for this post.

Not a fan of Co-Pilot, or any A.I.

But perhaps it means MS will opt-in to common sense and support Win 10 longer than 2025.  No sane marketer or CEO can ignore all those hundreds of millions of  ‘old computers’.  They still work, will likely keep working for years more.  And they represent eyeballs, data to mine, and disposable income to extract.

Does it mean feature updates will resume; version 22H2 is not the end?  And maybe security update support to match the LTSC editions, all the way to 2029 or 2032.  It won’t cost them anything more to support consumers, since they’re already creating the same updates for LTSC editions. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/release-information

1 user thanked author for this post.

I was in a Surgery Center on Tuesday (Sister had foot surgery) and EVERY computer in the ENTIRE place was on Windows 10.

I would be surprised/shocked if there isn’t some sort of ESU offering.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

I was in hospital last week, to find they are still using the iconic Windows 7, to the satisfaction of a consultant doctor and other staff spoken to.
          Those who use it for work, love it with the backing of a brilliant
          S T R E T C H E D and underfunded IT Dept.

Win8.1/R2 Hybrid lives on...
          2 users thanked author for this post.

I thought Microsoft said no more “features” were going to be added to Windows 10?

First we had Windows Backup (which I’ve disabled the Service for and I completely ignore – pity there’s still no way to remove the icon from the Start Menu).

Now we’re going to get Copilot (bundled with the monthly security updates as usual) which I’m assuming will also be impossible to remove with another ‘can’t dislodge even with an Exocet missile’ icon from the Start Menu.

No worries – I’m quite adept at ignoring stuff that I don’t want and cannot remove from Windows these days. I’m quite proud of the fact that I’ve been able to ignore this little guy with the red dot in Edge for ages. But I’m pretty sure I’ll get a popup or something before too much longer to remind me that it’s there and I should take some sort of “recommended action” with it. This is also something else that I believe is impossible to remove but I’ve heard that the latest Beta versions of Edge allow you to move it across to the other side of the screen if you want to. Great.

Oh, I’m wondering if the reason why Microsoft have changed their minds about not adding any more “features” to Windows 10 is because the take up of Windows 11 has been so dismal after 2 years?

And I wonder if they’ll eventually figure out why that is the case? (Hint: I believe it has a lot to do with lots of people not wanting to trash or upgrade perfectly good PC’s so they meet MS’s  quite arbitrary and ridiculous hardware requirements to run Windows 11).

edge

Gigabyte B560M D2V Motherboard, Intel i5 11400 CPU, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Graphics Card, 1x Samsung 870 EVO 250GB SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 22H2 64bit.

2 users thanked author for this post.

First we had Windows Backup (which I’ve disabled the Service for and I completely ignore – pity there’s still no way to remove the icon from the Start Menu).

Which icon ?

This one.

Cannot be uninstalled, icon cannot be removed from the Start Menu.

Same with the Settings icon on Windows 10’s (and probably 11’s) Start Menu and the Get Started icon on Windows 11’s Start Menu.

I don’t care if the “apps” themselves won’t install. As I’ve said – I just ignore them but I’d like to have a nice clean Start Menu with no unwanted icons (without having to use something like Open-Shell or StartAllBack and similar programs).

startmenu

Gigabyte B560M D2V Motherboard, Intel i5 11400 CPU, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Graphics Card, 1x Samsung 870 EVO 250GB SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 22H2 64bit.

I don’t use any 3rd party apps for the menu.
            I just cleaned everything. I don’t have any Microsoft store apps apart for Microsoft store app.

Sorry, I meant to say “I don’t care if the apps themselves won’t uninstall” in my previous post.

Once again we will be ready with registry keys, group policy, etc to block it.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

6 users thanked author for this post.

Does it mean feature updates will resume; version 22H2 is not the end?

MicroSpeak is meaningless.  Remember when we were told that Win 10 was the last version of Windows?

Like most heavy-handed bullies Microsoft will do whatever suits its fancy.  Its their software, you just use it.  Don’t want Windows Backup?  Tough!  Don’t want AI and CoPilot?  Tough luck again.

So, what’s the problem offering W10 Co-Pilot via the MSFT Store only???
      After all, this OS is now on extended support until 2025.

By providing this framework gets a true representation of AI popularity with W10 users, if their Store is worth it’s weight..shouldn’t be force fed IMO

On a lighter note..
      a future O&O Shutup10++ will undoubtedly neutralize this collateral digital blasphemy 😉

EVERY computer in the ENTIRE place was on Windows 10

I am sure that many (if not all) of the Windows 10 PCs are not Windows 11 compatible

and how many of those will soon be using linux when retired from an office via the recycled/ charitable PC market. Cool! 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
    Reply To: Microsoft plans to bring its AI Copilot to 1 billion Windows 10 users

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: