News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft re-re-releases KB 2952664, KB 2976978, and KB 2977759

Home Forums AskWoody blog Microsoft re-re-releases KB 2952664, KB 2976978, and KB 2977759

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

And it looks like Microsoft has re-re-released KB 3022345 — the old patch that threw the SFC /scannow error — but with a new KB number, 3068708.Info
        [See the full post at: Microsoft re-re-releases KB 2952664, KB 2976978, and KB 2977759]

• #51136 Reply
        walker
        AskWoody Lounger

Just a heads up.

Firefox updated to version 38.0.5 yesterday. It’s “different”!

• #51137 Reply
        louis

And think about it for a second…don’t let them fool you…there will be no “optional” releases in W10 and
        these re-re-re-releases will be “automatic” in a W10 environment. You can take that to the bank.

We need a rebellion.

• #51138 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Louis –

Given the sales figures, I think we’re already seeing a rebellion. In spades. I just don’t want to toss out the Windows baby with this dredgewater.

• #51139 Reply
        louis

@woody-

I’ve been using windows since W95…I’ve had one Mac in my computing and life and that was my veryfirst machine. It’s been windows ever since.

If MSFT throws down the gauntlet with forced updates and no owner/user controls, I will be looking for an alternative. I just no longer trust them.

Even today, I have 4 “security updates” left over from last month and I plan on installing them later tonight, and all I have is high anxiety over it. And those are patches I have control over!
        That’s just not the way this stuff should work. I really wish there was a decent alternative.

• #51140 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

@louis: only the “home” or Core edition of Windows 10 may no longer have the ability to disable automatic updates. But the Professional and Enterprise editions of Windows 10 have a choice of accepting or rejecting automatic updates.

• #51141 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@EP

So we’ve been told, but there’s still a lot of confusion about how Win10 Pro users who are not attached to domains (with SUB servers) will be able to block the patches.

That’s a key concern for me. I can recommend Win10 Home for casual users — the ones who have Automatic Update turned on right now. But it’s hard to recommend Win10 Pro until we know how updating will work.

• #51142 Reply
        Jim

@EP,

I’ve read that Pro may be able to DEFER but not DENY Windows Updates. If this is true, you can postpone all of the updates for a specific time but you can’t decide to skip any of them when that time expires.

A while back, Microsoft issued an update that disabled Postscript Type 1 fonts. I have 40,000 of them. I’m just supposed to stop using them? I didn’t install this update.

If what I’m reading turns out to be true, that would no longer be an option.

• #51143 Reply
        Mike O

Hi Woody,

One of the optional patches “KB 3050265” seems interesting (it’s unchecked).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265

Reading the KB article, it sounds like it upgrades the Windows Update engine. I do follow your “don’t install unchecked patches” rule but this update does seem important. It this update worth installing despite being unchecked?

• #51144 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Mike

I’d give it a 99% likelihood that it’s another Windows 10-oriented patch.

If Microsoft doesn’t check it, the patch is completely optional. I wouldn’t touch it.

• #51145 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Jim

That’s one of many unanswered questions. You’re right. It’s chilling, to me anyway.

• #51146 Reply
        Dan

KB2976978 and two other Windows updates were sent as Important even though “More information” says they are Optional. I’m sure that the other two (KB3040272 and KB3055999) were sent out previously as Optional. I did not install them, and they no longer appear in my pending Optional Updates list and are not hidden.

Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft re-re-releases KB 2952664, KB 2976978, and KB 2977759

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel