• Microsoft to bring hotpatching to Windows 11 (no restarts)

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » Microsoft to bring hotpatching to Windows 11 (no restarts)

Author
    Topic

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/microsoft-wants-to-update-your-windows-11-pc-without-forcing-you-to-reboot

Microsoft is testing a new update method for Windows 11 that will allow the OS to install critical updates without requiring a reboot.
    This method, called “hot patching,” has been in use on Windows Server and Xbox for some time.
    Hot patching for Windows 11 is expected to debut with version 24H2 later this year…

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/hotpatch

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Here’s the reality:  No files or dlls that are being updated can be in use when this occurs.  The server folks I know that have done this say that you have to be running nearly NOTHING for it to not want a reboot.  More power to them, but I just know that to this day if there is a pending reboot, you want to reboot.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

4 users thanked author for this post.

It seems to work like 0Patch patching memory files..

Hotpatching is a way to install OS security updates on supported Windows Server Datacenter: Azure Edition virtual machines (VMs) that doesn’t require a reboot after installation. It works by patching the in-memory code of running processes without the need to restart the process

The hardware needed to do this in a secure and protected way, do you have info about that?
          There must be some ‘really’ isolated and secured cpu and chipset environment, some newer than generation i13 I suppose.
          For instance, all cpu’s older than gen.i12 is leak in one way or another.

* _ being 20 in the 70's was fun _ *

It works by patching the in-memory code of running processes without the need to restart the process…

The problem with doing it that way is the actual “physical files” stored on the drive don’t get updated until the PC does get properly rebooted.

So, if the PC crashes (i.e. blue screens) or the power goes out after such an update but before the PC gets rebooted, those files won’t have been updated and you’re back to square one!

So, if the PC crashes (i.e. blue screens) or the power goes out after such an update but before the PC gets rebooted, those files won’t have been updated and you’re back to square one!

If Microsoft will patch the way 0Patch does, patches will be applied automatically.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Microsoft to bring hotpatching to Windows 11 (no restarts)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: