Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft to stop participating in Windows 7 forums

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Microsoft to stop participating in Windows 7 forums

This topic contains 61 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 6 months ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

Following up on Woody’s post here, I spotted this in the Windows 7 forum.  Windows 7 will still get security updates after this time, Microsoft is jus
      [See the full post at: Microsoft to stop participating in Windows 7 forums]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

10 users thanked author for this post.
    • #197069 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

I’ve had a bit of additional clarification.

Microsoft “Agents” aren’t employees. They’re contractors, generally hired by an independent contracting firm, frequently outside the US.

It strikes me as very odd that this announcement appeared on a Saturday morning, and was issued by an Agent. (A very good agent, mind you, Olga has an excellent reputation. But she ain’t a Microsoft Vice President.)

7 users thanked author for this post.
    • #197071 Reply

tonydi
      AskWoody Lounger

Absolutely zero loss.  While Microsoft Community threads are at the top of most Google searches, I skip past them and find a dedicated third party source for real answers.  The Microsoft Community is usually filled by totally useless, cookie-cutter answers by so-called “experts”.  I suspect they get some soft of commission every time they post instructions on how to run the SFC because it’s almost always offered as “the” fix, even when the issue clearly has nothing to do with Windows system files.

• #197157 Reply

gkarasik
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you! You saved me from having to take the time to say everything you just said.

GaryK

• #198335 Reply

anonymous

Agreed.  It is like lottery winning rare to see a reply from one of their contractors that is not just copy/pasting text over and over again.  Often from a KB that the poster was asking a question about.

• #197067 Reply

anonymous

WOW! Group W notice served????

Back to fishing for better dreams

• #197074 Reply

bobcat5536
      AskWoody Lounger

As far as losing support goes, you can’t lose what you never had in the first place.

13 users thanked author for this post.
    • #197081 Reply

anonymous
    • #197082 Reply

anonymous

tonydi and amraybt, sfc is still a good check for problems that were not identified by the person posting a problem. It gives a known starting point before diving in the deep end. When the car fails to start sometimes the battery is fine but the fuel tank is empty. Running sfc is like checking the gauges. But I agree when the complaint contains the information then that’s just bad reading comprehension by the Very Special Agent.

• #197085 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

And I have been thinking, all along, that the customer support forum was this one: https://www.askwoody.com/

Was I misinformed? Yes? Oh Dear! Have I missed much?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #197089 Reply

Kirsty
      AskWoody MVP

I believe a hat tip goes to @b

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #197134 Reply

anonymous

With apologies to both individuals. For the briefest of time cycles. Because Susan did not extend the hattip. I considered the possibility that b was short for Bradley.
        Quickly decided style is too different and that I was silly to think so.
        Crediting that b had posted this same information might have prevented my momentary confusion.

• #197086 Reply

anonymous

The support for the below products will be discontinued across different forums in the Community.

Windows 7, 8.1, 8.1 RT
      Microsoft Security Essentials
      Internet Explorer 10
      Office 2010, 2013
      Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, Surface RT, Surface 2
      Microsoft Band – this topic will be locked. Users are invited to participate in Microsoft Band 2 topic.
      Mobile devices forum – Microsoft support will continue in “Other Windows mobile devices” topic
      Zune – this topic will be locked, but will remain available for browsing

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum/fdbk_news/product-support-forum-changes-on-microsoft/b1f5c5a4-7d66-4579-83bf-2b6ba599baaa

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #197095 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Well a little disturbing development, but not totally unexpected. For you Win7 folks its an inevitable scale back, no doubt to thrust you in to the arms and charms of Win10 and for the Win8.1 folk, on the subject of “Charms” its distinctly unnerving as you have and Addl. 2-3 years of support left. Don’t worry not taking sides here as I run and like all three in their own inimitable way. Lets face it mostly when you go over there with a problem they nearly always recommend running these 3 CMDS:
      dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
      dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
      dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

and in my experience over the years I have found them ineffectual, only working or identifying the issue once, as many frustrated commenters have complained. Yeah its a good tool but it always seems to be the stock answer. So probably not great loss alas but, unfortunately “the writing on the wall” for Win’s 7+8.1 🙁

• #197099 Reply

samak
      AskWoody Lounger

Good. More traffic to this site!

W7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, Office 2010, Group B, non-techie

• #197102 Reply

fred
      AskWoody Lounger

QUOTE begin…..
      Forum support for these products will be discontinued:

• Windows version 7
      • Windows 8.1, 8.1 RT

Microsoft Community participants are welcome and encouraged to continue to use the forum to ask questions and post answers with each other.
      End QUOTE

How much more rude can you be treated as a customer by Microsoft?

Edit to remove HYML

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  fred.
      • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  PKCano.
      • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  PKCano.
    • #197104 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Lounger

Please be advised that effective July 2018, the forum topics for products that reached end of support will no longer receive technical support from Microsoft agents. …

Forum support for these products will be discontinued:

• Windows version 7
      • Windows 8.1, 8.1 RT

Wait a second there. They say that Microsoft agents will no longer provide technical support for products that “have reached end of support.” And then they list Windows 7 and 8.1 among the products for which they will no longer provide such support.

Hmmm–isn’t Windows 7 supported until 2020, and Windows 8.1 until 2023, when Windows Updates stop for them respectively? What am I missing here? Could this MS notice be a trial balloon for an accelerated end of support for 7 and 8.1?

7 users thanked author for this post.
      • #197109 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

There’s two types of support — mainstream and extended.  Even in the partner forums they are dropping online support for n-1 platforms (windows 7) and if you need support you have to pay $499 for a support case.

Windows 7 will still get security updates until 2020, but clearly they are narrowing the focus of what they will support in forums.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
        • #197111 Reply

Cybertooth
          AskWoody Lounger

Susan, wouldn’t that mean that MS’s statement that Windows 7 and 8.1 “have reached end of support” is incorrect, given that both of them are still in extended support? The way they’ve worded the announcement, it’s fuzzy and lets them  introduce the notion that Windows 7 is now at end of support because they said so there.

I fear further erosion of actual support during the “extended support” period, to the point where the official end of extended support may become a mere formality. That is, unless MS are called on it with sufficient vigor.

• #197218 Reply

johnf
            AskWoody Lounger

Microsoft is the new Humpty Dumpty… and they are defining things like “support” the way Humpty would!

“When I use a word ,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean- neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master-that’s all.”

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. “They’ve a temper some of them- particularly verbs: they’re the proudest- adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs- however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That’s what I say!”

(Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass)

• #197113 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

I have a feeling that MS is preparing everyone for Win7 EOL and this is one of the signs. I think they are determined not to prolong the support this time like they did for Win XP. And, yes, they have a Win7 POS Ready, but it is for ATMs, in-store terminals, and the like. It won’t be available to the consumer.

It is my guess they are going to turn their back on Win7 in Jan, 2020, even if there are still a large number of active Users. That is scary, because something like Meltdown/Spectre could cause a world-wide epidemic/infection. The older hardware is not getting patched and the newer that is patched doesn’t support Win7/8.1. Win10 won’t be vulnerable but the older OSs will become unusable.

6 users thanked author for this post.
        • #197129 Reply

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

That is scary, because something like Meltdown/Spectre could cause a world-wide epidemic/infection. The older hardware is not getting patched and the newer that is patched doesn’t support Win7/8.1. Win10 won’t be vulnerable but the older OSs will become unusable.

When MS felt the responsibility to provide security patches for two more years for XP, that was the “old” Microsoft, which I keep hearing is a lot worse than the current, “new” Microsoft.  This is all part of their “resistance is futile” marketing scheme for 10… another reminder that they won’t again be extending support just to protect millions of their own customers from preventable infections.  The withholding of security patches for unauthorized installations of pre-10 Windows on recent CPUs is just one more sign of what is to come.

The new CPUs “support” older Windows just fine, as many have found.  It’s more that MS has an embargo against new CPUs on Win 7 and 8.1.  There’s a difference between not supporting something and actively writing a bit of malware (and then distributing it through an update system whose purpose is supposedly to make customers more secure) to block updates for people who have perfectly functioning Windows installations that have no other problem than violating Microsoft’s marketing plan for Windows 10.  Intentionally sabotaging your own customers’ Windows installations by making them vulnerable to malware in order to force them to accept an inferior, deliberately terrible product is just evil.

Group L (Linux): KDE Neon User Edition 5.14.4 (based on Ubuntu 18.04) + Windows 7 in Virtualbox VM

14 users thanked author for this post.
        • #197131 Reply

anonymous

So be prepared for continued good natured prodding from Nadella’s crew over the next eighteen months. Make plans to move on. Or grab an eye patch and hoist your personal Jolly Roger. Pirated support will become the only support.
          Yet to be seen whether it may also be considered illegal in practice. That would depend on haw fervently they defend their claimed right of ownership over what they describe as a revoked licensed operating system.

• #197144 Reply

AlexEiffel
          AskWoody MVP

To be fair, when there was that SMB vulnerability a few months ago, they surprised everyone and patched XP for this exceptional issue, although they didn’t issue a patch for XP in a long time. I guess XP machines that don’t roam on the Internet but that would be vulnerable were targets waiting to be attacked, while maybe an XP machine shouldn’t run anything from the outside that Spectre or Meltdown would have a chance of infecting so Microsoft didn’t bother with this.

Anyway, someone who runs XP to surf the web doesn’t care much about security or can’t afford to care.

• #197253 Reply

Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

That SMB vulnerability a few months year ago was Petya and that was the ONLY time our Win XP was online since EOL in 2014 (just to patch).

Group W on Win XP is bliss 🙂 (if you have more than one PC)

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
            • #197258 Reply

AlexEiffel
              AskWoody MVP

So you are like me with XP, then? So good, stable and still great offline! I just hope the hardware doesn’t break for a few more years like that rock solid Windows 98 station that still runs to do work everyday with no Internet access.

• #197265 Reply

Microfix
              AskWoody MVP

@alexeiffel, When you say Windows 98, is that the first edition? On raw antique circuitry and hardware or a VM? nice going!
              I did have Win98SE on a fat32 spinner and found that version, one of the most solid and robust prior to moving to NT4 (dual boot 2x drives) and soon after the almighty (just get it done) Win2k Pro, which made me ditch 98SE in favor of NTFS. Gave both ME and Vista WIDE berths.

• #198061 Reply

MrJimPhelps
              AskWoody MVP

In the modern era, my two favorite OSs from Microsoft have been Windows 2000 and Windows 7.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
              with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        • #197155 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Lounger

If MS is very large and powerful, is because its users’ base is so enormous.

Someone should ride along in Mr. Nadella’s triumph chariot and whisper in his ear: “Don’t forget there will be a users’ backlash that could make the 2011 tsunami in Japan look like some kids were splashing water in a swimming pool.” Nadella, unfortunately, will just smile and wave at the shareholders.

• #197114 Reply

FakeNinja
      AskWoody Lounger

Good thing we still got askwoody 🙂

• #197122 Reply

Carl D
      AskWoody Lounger

The cynic in me makes me wonder what MS might have planned for the remaining 18 months of so called support for Windows 7?

Let’s see… The GWX campaign with all of it’s shenanigans didn’t seem to have the desired effect of moving everyone to Windows 10.

The seemingly endless parade of bad updates over the past 6 months or so especially since the appearance of the Meltdown/Spectre fiasco (which the cynic in me still can’t help but think is yet another deliberately engineered ‘plot’ to try and kill off Windows 7) also doesn’t appear to be deterring too many people from leaving Windows 7.

These things did however cause lots of threads to be created by angry W7 users on the support forums.

Maybe MS is about to make a last ditched attempt to sabotage Windows 7 so they’re ‘battening down the hatches’ so to speak to try and avoid the inevitable backlash which could be worse than what we’ve seen up to date?

• #197203 Reply

anonymous

Perception is more important than reality.

MS’ attitude towards its Win7 product and the customer base that continues to use it has not changed one iota.  It continues to drip with arrogance and reckless disregard for quality.

What has changed is the image that MS can project.  By discontinuing any type of public support in accordance with the long established difference between “support” and “extended support” MS can no longer be accused of turning a blind eye towards the Win 7 users’ and the havoc caused by botched updates and other objectionable behavior.

Now MS can continue to ignore the agony of users skewered by its bad acts because its all in accordance with long established policies.  After all, they’re only doing what they have said they were committed to do after the initial 5 years of “support” expired.

• #197216 Reply

Canadian Tech
        AskWoody MVP

Carl D, advice. STOP Microsoft updating completely. It is bliss. My client base stopped over a year ago. Nothing but peace and tranquility. No bugs, no hacks, no viruses, just clean reliable running Win7 systems that will likely run for years to come. So well, that I am now in the process of reviewing OS installation histories. Any hard drive 5 years or older will be replaced and the OS re-installed.

CT

9 users thanked author for this post.
        • #197233 Reply

zero2dash
          AskWoody Lounger

I think I may end up clean installing 7 over 10 at home and going Group W myself.
          10 hasn’t misbehaved yet, but I think waiting out the inevitable is not something I want to do anymore.

• #197283 Reply

Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

10 hasn’t misbehaved yet, but I think waiting out the inevitable is not something I want to do anymore.

oh ye of little faith.. 😉

• #197877 Reply

anonymous

Canadian Tech wrote:

STOP Microsoft updating completely. It is bliss. My client base stopped over a year ago. Nothing but peace and tranquility.

Canadian Tech,

Apologies if you’ve addressed questions like these before, but after reading your post I am curious…
          – How large is your client base, and what percentage of your client base is on the “business” side (vs home/residential customers)?
          – When you advise your clients to stop patching, what other advice/recommendatons and/or applications/tools/network appliances do you advise your clients to follow and/or install/use to achieve, well, lasting peace and tranquility?

Having an SMB IT background–and client base–I just can’t imagine making a “STOP Microsoft updating” recommendation to business clients. As much as Windows patching has deteriorated into a ridiculous repetitive exercise in wasted time and annoyance, from my perspective reasonably-regular patching still seems like the best (and therefore the only real) option for business clients.

But please understand that I’m not seeking to challenge you on what path you feel is best for you and your clients to follow, but rather seeking to more fully understand the specifics of your recommendation and implementation. So thanks in advance for any additional information you choose to share.

• #197893 Reply

Canadian Tech
            AskWoody MVP

Anonymous. Sorry, I cannot identify you. But happy to reply….

My clients are all home/student kinds of PCs. No businesses. I have an extensive corp. It background (over 50 years), so I know from what you speak. My client base has shrunk from about 150 to about 130 over the last 2 years due to their giving up on their PCs and using their smart phones INSTEAD. Not a single one of them has bought Win10. I should add that I find Win8 and its cousin Win10 to be completely unacceptable and the only thing they share with Win7 is a name. I consider Win7 to be the last good Windows OS there will ever be.

I understand the security concerns in a business, but would give strategy a hard think. Do you really want Win10? Do you really need to make that kind of investment now, or can I stretch the life of my PC base for several more years? There may be a big savings here — both in hardware and support costs.

I strongly encourage stopping all use of IE and using Chrome instead. Not only is Chrome a better browser, but it does not need or use Flash player, Adobe Reader or Java — 3 of the most common virus vectors. Chrome now represents about 60% of the market, while IE has fallen to less than 15%. IE has not had a lick of development work on it in years. Chrome is actively being developed as we speak and is now on version 67.

I enforce the use of BitDefender Antivirus on all systems. Note, not BitDefender Security. Over my 16 years of doing this work, I have learned well that those “security” systems are a true pain in the neck. They cause many conflicts and problems and solve none. I used Norton AV until about 3 or 4 years ago when Norton discontinued the product. Since I adopted BD, over some 400+ computer years, there has not been a single infection or hack of any kind. I do not allow any 3rd party firewalls. I should add that I pay $130 Canadian for 10 subscriptions for TWO years of BD AV. Best product I have ever seen. It is very quiet. Most clients don’t even know it is there. No resource load that can be measured.

I do most of my support work remotely using TeamViewer. I used Logmein for years until they priced themselves into the stratosphere. TeamViewer is a better product for a third the price.

I also do all the hardware support work for my clients. At this point, I am in the process of re-installing Win7 on most computers for improved performance and in the vast majority of cases replace their hard drives. I have a Vostro 420 on my desk right now that is 9 years old and I am replacing the hard drive. It runs like a top.

Since I stopped all Microsoft updating, my workload has dropped off to well less than half. My clients’ computers just run without any problems.

The beauty of all of this is that Microsoft’s threat to “stop all support” for Windows 7 is a total who cares! We have already gotten there, and the result is beautiful.

CT

• #197125 Reply

anonymous

Interestingly Google is where I go for support for Windows 7 or anything else for that matter.

I have always found MS support vague and limited. No great loss for me MS participation and I intend to take Windows 7 well past 2020.

I am sure many tech sites will offer perspective guidance post 2010.

• #197269 Reply

Canadian Tech
        AskWoody MVP

I am a Microsoft Forum participant. Have been for years. Google’s search engine works far better for the answers forum than its own search. In fact that is almost universally true these days. Even in places like Home Depot.

CT

6 users thanked author for this post.
        • #197276 Reply

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Google’s search engine works far better for the answers forum than its own search.

To be fair, Google did have a head start over MS for the internet search engine 🙂

Back then, MS took their eye off the ball and started playing catchup since…and nowadays even more so

• #197148 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

Well… now this leaked excerpt from a heavily quantum-encrypted email from the top MS User Top Quality and Joyful Fulfillment Department manager AI to all its toiling underlings:

“Henceforth we shall offer three types of user’s help, in accordance to their respective versions of Windows: (1) “Really supported — Well, OK, mostly”,  (2) “Suffered and barely tolerated”, and (3) “Ah, forget it!” All older non-Windows 10  Enterprise versions, as of now, are type 3. So, please, kindly advise their users, forthwith, to “Deal With This!”

Signed: Your User-Unfriendly AI Boss.”

So now you know.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  OscarCP.
    • #197162 Reply

Sueska
      AskWoody Lounger

I personally view this as positive. Why put money into a service that rarely provides help. I cannot count the number of times I have been so upset by a MS support’s answer that my  blood pressure would shoot sky high. Many times it seemed the MS agent did not read or comprehend the poster’s questions.  Each time I would vent and vow never to go back to a MS forum for answers. This removes the temptation to give them another try.

• #197180 Reply

Nibbled To Death By Ducks
      AskWoody Lounger

At the time MS pulled the two-year XP extension, it was a different company. OK, this time, different consumer tactics might have to be invoked, as Mr. N. seems obdurate and insensible beyond all reason. (Hey, how did that Nokia thing work out? Oh, 8 billion is just chump change, right?)

Mass demonstrations on the Redmond Campus? Boycott on MSFT? Just idly wondering…

The users have the power. We just have to figure out the right way to use it.

Resistance is NEVER futile…

————————-

(BTW, Still have an old self-designed custom built Workstation (non-Net connected) running XPSP3, as I have $$$$$ in 2D and 3D CG software running on it that would never make the transition to Win 7. It still delivers wonderful CG and 3D animations in file formats still usable today in other OS’s in that sector…)

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "A/B [negative] :)", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Notify but do not download or install without asking."

--

"The more kinks you put in the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the pipes!" -Scotty

• #197191 Reply

PerthMike
      AskWoody Lounger

On the plus side, less of the endless “Please upvote this post if it solved your problem” posts.

No matter where you go, there you are.

• #197215 Reply

Canadian Tech
      AskWoody MVP

That’s the best news I’ve heard in a long time. I am active on the Windows 7 forum and have been for years. The Microsofties that lurk on that forum are worse than useless. The vast majority of their responses are useless. There are a few oldies but goodies like me who actually work at helping people solve their problems. The Microsofties that do respond tend to give pointers to Microsoft web pages and rarely take the time or have the insight into what the person’s problem really is. In fact, I have been roundly criticized by some of them for not answering the specific question, but having the insight to answer the question the person is really asking or the problem they are actually having.

Microsofties pride themselves on quick and one response answers. I, like my similar colleagues often engage in exchanges that can go on for several days.

No more Microsofties on that forum is a welcome change.

CT

• #197231 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

I don’t think I could work at a company like that, even if they paid me a nice salary.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #197220 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

So a billion dollar company is ending forum-based tech support on a paid product, yet not-for-profit companies who churn out Linux derivatives and open source software which are free products still have forum-based tech support. butthatsnoneofmybusiness.jpg

• #197225 Reply

anonymous

If Microsoft really wanted more migrations to Windows 10, they’d bring back the free upgrade.  Our organization stopped upgrading when the free offer went away.  We’re not about to pay $200 per system to complete the job.  Instead, in 2020 we’ll put that money toward new systems.

• #197234 Reply

jescott418
      AskWoody Lounger

I never found the forums that useful in the past and rarely have I read through them other then making some of my own observations if I could help. I suspect Microsoft will drop support early for Windows 8.1 too if market share keeps dropping to somewhere around 1% or less. If that happens before 2023 then Microsoft probably will kill all support. The real issue for Microsoft though is Windows 7 users clinging to it for dear life which sort of creates another XP problem of which Microsoft does not want.

• #197273 Reply

johnf
      AskWoody Lounger

Don’t forget, we’re talking about support for normal users being dropped (W7, W8.1).

There are medical devices that are using embedded Windows 7; the consequences of that is that those companies that support the hardware (Philips, GE, etc) will already have extended contracts well past the official End of Life (EOL), just like they did (and may still have) with XP.

Many of those devices have lifespans that last much longer than the normal windows we users have, and companies will pay for that (and that cost is reflected in what the Hospital/Clinic pays for the hardware, and passed on to what we the patients pay!)

It’s one of the reasons that MS had to provide XP patches for WannaCry, they were legally obligated to do so by contract for embedded XP.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  johnf.
    • #197291 Reply

MW
      AskWoody Lounger

Carl D, advice. STOP Microsoft updating completely. It is bliss. My client base stopped over a year ago. Nothing but peace and tranquility. No bugs, no hacks, no viruses, just clean reliable running Win7 systems that will likely run for years to come. So well, that I am now in the process of reviewing OS installation histories. Any hard drive 5 years or older will be replaced and the OS re-installed.

I second that advice.  Especially for a home user.  I went group W after the Wannacry update early last year.  Still not 100% convinced that one was absolutely neccessary.

I said it before, I keep good backups, if something happens, it’s a minor inconvenience.  I’m back up and running in a couple of hours.

I’ve observed on this forum alone the untold hours adding up to days and weeks, and the stress levels, worring about and dealing with the junk updates from Microsoft.  Life is too short…

Spend your effort securing your browser.

W7 & W8.1 - Group W
      Mac Sierra - Group A
      Mint Cinnamon - Group A

• #197308 Reply

Carl D
      AskWoody Lounger

The seemingly endless parade of bad updates over the past 6 months or so especially since the appearance of the Meltdown/Spectre fiasco (which the cynic in me still can’t help but think is yet another deliberately engineered ‘plot’ to try and kill off Windows 7) also doesn’t appear to be deterring too many people from leaving Windows 7.

After reading this again what I meant to say was “doesn’t appear to be deterring too many people from using Windows 7”.

(I had only just got out of bed when I typed that).

• #197376 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

If you wish to read some of the difficulties in the Microsoft forum, the pinned items provide a spectrum:
      https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum

Group G{ot backup} Win7 · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
    • #197590 Reply

mazzinia
      AskWoody Lounger

There’s a thing I don’t understand.

Isn’t w7 eol on 2020 , and 8.1 on 2023 ? So, why plugging the plug earlier ?

• #197594 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
        AskWoody Lounger

In case you hadn’t noticed, MS are doing handstands to kill off W7, so they can continue to claim W10 is one heap big success. By fair means or foul.

• #197664 Reply

anonymous

It has gotten to the point that MS is trying to change existing Win7 installs so they either don’t work at all, provide so many headaches you will give up, or changing it (using Windows Update) so that it is more like Win10.   In my book the only intelligent action is  to stop all Microsoft updating.  I mean all.  It sounds scary, but My 130 client computers have not had an update in over a year and not a single problem has occurred.  In fact it is wonderful.  Switch to Chrome Browser (it is better than IE), uninstall Java, Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash.  Install a top-end antivirus product, and you are as good as gold for years and years to come.  Keep good backups and in the unlikely event of a serious problem, be prepared for a re-install.

• #197762 Reply

Ascaris
            AskWoody MVP

While I’m not going group “W” on updates myself, it’s hard to fault the logic when you consider that MS already has a history of using the update system to distribute social-engineering malware (twice; GWX with no “cancel” button and then GWX where “X” was changed to mean “dismiss this dialog but don’t cancel the update”) as well as a Trojan horse that permanently breaks a person’s ability to receive security updates, rendering them vulnerable to an ever increasing amount of malware in the future.

I’m sure the pro-Microsofties would bristle or laugh at my characterization of the update breaking Windows Update for users who dare violate Microsoft’s marketing edict that owners of new CPUs like Kaby Lake shall not installeth Windows other than 10, but a Trojan is just what it is.  It masquerades as a security and quality update (that’s what it says on the tin), one of those updates we’re told over and over are necessary for security purposes, but its real function is to break the update function forever and render that PC increasingly vulnerable as time passes.

Malware is a portmanteau (this message brought to you by Wikipedia) of malicious and software, and any software that aims to turn a working, security update supported Windows installation into a non-updated one, against the wishes of the owner, is certainly malicious.

A Trojan horse (in this context) is a type of malware that hides a malicious payload inside what is (or is supposed to be) something benign and desirable to the user. That’s an apt description of the update in question, no doubt about that.

Blocking updates from a company with a documented history of malware distribution… yeah, seems like it ought to be a no-brainer.  I know that cynics have long accused MS of distributing malware, but that was hyperbole in the past.  Now… I wish it was.

Group L (Linux): KDE Neon User Edition 5.14.4 (based on Ubuntu 18.04) + Windows 7 in Virtualbox VM

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Ascaris.
            • This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Ascaris.
      • #197597 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Here’s how to negate previous support policies – “we’ll patch/fix later versions but not older ones.”

• #197100 Reply

anonymous

sigh, I lumped you together and did not respond individually because you both mentioned the same tool. Not because you made the same point. You felt that was unfair. I get it.
      My point that was different than both of you, so I did not reply under either of you individually.
      You can buy a new battery, get a rebuilt alternator, change all the cables, and reterminate all grounding connections with conductive jelly. Then finally decide to check the fuel level gauge and end up feeling a little ignorant. Someone asking you that question could have saved a lot of effort.
      But I will reinforce your point again by saying that if parts counter man wants you to walk home and look at the gauge again before ringing up your purchase, he is not helping he is delaying.

• #197116 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
      AskWoody Lounger

Anonymous – would you by any chance be a MS techie? Just a hunch.

• #197126 Reply

anonymous

I am sorry to have created a distraction. Looking back

But I agree when the complaint contains the information then that’s just bad reading comprehension by the Very Special Agent.

I thought the word agree meant I was not arguing that point.
      I thought Very Special was snarky or pithy enough to show that I do not think highly of what the answers forum devolved to become. I still hold several individuals who who participated there with high regard. I will try to be more plain going forward.
      Maybe a judicious use of sarcasm tag would show where one word means yes I agree and the others mean Not Very Special after all. I see how the contradiction can be confusing.
      I am not sure from where your next step insinuation rises.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft to stop participating in Windows 7 forums

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.