News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft wants to sell you security patches for Win7

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Microsoft wants to sell you security patches for Win7

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

WINDOWS 7 SUPPORT By Amy Babinchak Given the approaching Windows 7 end of life (January 14, 2020), here’s a surprising development from Microsoft: pai
      [See the full post at: Microsoft wants to sell you security patches for Win7]

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1986467 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

Great writeup

• #1986645 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody_MVP

Sounds like a good business plan for Microsoft. Don’t have to work a lot compared to changing the OS to issue patches but keep getting more and more revenues until people have to pay again to buy Win 10.

From my point of view, I would prefer to pay and stay on 7 longer instead of wasting time going to 10 now and throwing away PCs that are still good, but not worth an upgrade for just a few years. Hopefully, lots of angered 7 users that will be now on 10 could help steer development a bit differently, but I’m not holding my hopes up on this one. We might see Microsoft trying more monetization schemes and deceptive tricks like the recent online account thing. Staying on 7 a bit more could help avoid this. Speaking of the online account thing, see the funny conclusion here for a bit of laugh:

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-offline-local-account-setup.html

However, Office 2010 is going out of support in October 2020, so it is not acceptable to continue running a not supported version in a professional setting, for security reasons. So the choice of staying on 7 is not really a choice. And no, I don’t want to subscribe to Office so I will just buy an OEM version on Win 10 with a new PC and run it until it dies again, with three years less of support than the previous version… Thanks Microsoft for making my work less productive.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1986811 Reply

ebloch
      AskWoody Plus

I think it would be great if someone reliable made a Win 7 SP-X with ALL updates installed that can be used for an “in place update” for those of us who are behind in updating.

• #1986878 Reply

anonymous

The old saying goes, “if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.” There is none more reliable at meeting your own high standards. Search this site, or find your favorite solution for making an “image” of your current system. You will always be able to revert to this known good condition, or “snapshot”, whatever the future may bring.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft wants to sell you security patches for Win7

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.